Malahat Mike - "Twenty Years of Shame" - CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Malahat Mike

Malahat Mike - "Twenty Years of Shame" - CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Post by Malahat Mike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:10 am

A new challenger enters the ring.

Hello! I've been listening to the podcast and following this challenge since about May. Its been really inspirational. I've finally started sitting down and painting my original Warhammer 40K army. Chaos!

You see I have a confession to make. I got into this game thanks to a dude I met in grade 10 German class back in 1993. In 1994 I bought my first blister of a Chaos Space Marine with a heavy plasma gun. The 2nd Edition Codex hadn't even come out! My dark secret? I've never had a finished, full painted army.

So here I am today. Thanks to all these threads and the podcast I finally got down to painting my more recent Chaos purchases. And before I knew it, I had some stuff done. So I finally decided to post my stuff and hopefully keep pace to have 2000 points done by the end of the year and finally close the book on these 20 years of shame.

Without further ado, my army list.

THE BLACK LEGION! (Taken from Codex: CSM)

HQ
Chaos Lord with Power Axe and Plasma Pistol - DONE
Chaos Sorcerer with Force Staff and Plasma Pistol - DONE
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with Wings and Power Armour - DONE

Troops
Chaos Space Marines [10] with Plasma Gun and Heavy Bolter, Champion with Power Sword and Plasma Pistol + Rhino - DONE
Chaos Cultists [10] with Autoguns and Heavy Stubber, Champion with Shotgun - DONE
Chaos Cultists [10] with Flamer - DONE
Elites
Hellbrute with Multi-Melta and Power Fist - DONE
Plague Marines [10] with Plasma Gun and Melta Gun, Champion with Power Fist - DONE

Fast Attack
Helldrake with Bale Flamer - DONE

Heavy Support
Obliterators [3] - DONE
Chaos Vindicator - DONE

I'm not too concerned about contest part. My goal is to get this painted. I suspect I'll go into December. Also the Plague Marines are from 2nd/3rd Edition and so were painted by me a decade ago. I don't need to strip them, so it will just be touching up and painting a few extra to bring it up to 10. Basically I own everything above. Its comes in at with 2000 points with purely what's listed. When I get a mini studio set up I plan to get good pictures of what I have already painted and post them.

And finally a big Thanks to the hosts of The Independent Characters for this chance and for a great podcast. Both high quality and low on swearing which is awesome because I can listen to it with my daughter around.

Malahat Mike
Last edited by Malahat Mike on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Malahat Mike

Re: Malahat Mike - "Twenty Years of Shame" Black Legion

Post by Malahat Mike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:12 am

And for my September commitment I present a primed Helldrake.

Tuatara

Post by Tuatara » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:30 pm

That's quite an aggressive schedule you have set for yourself. Good one. Look forward to seeing how it goes. Do we get to see the stuff that is already completed?
My HPC2014 progress: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6304&p=68414#p68414
"The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:19 am

Tuatara wrote:That's quite an aggressive schedule you have set for yourself. Good one. Look forward to seeing how it goes. Do we get to see the stuff that is already completed?
Absolutely, I just need to figure out a way to get better pictures. Lighting is a bit of an issue.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:00 am

This is my 18 year old Chaos Dreadnaught that came out during 2nd Edition. It was one of the first models I finished up back in June. Obviously he's OOP and not useable, but I figured that much pewter at least deserves some respect. Its also useful for throwing through someone's window.

There's not much detail and the paint is too thick (an issue I still have). He's basically my army's tester model.

Ryantsg

Post by Ryantsg » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 am

I see a perfectly usable Hellbrute there.
2014 HPC Clan Avernii Iron Hands Completed
2015 HPC Ndras Tau Completed
2016 HPC Adeptus Mechanicus Guild House Eurayle In process

Malahat Mike

Re: Malahat Mike -

Post by Malahat Mike » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:59 am

Ryantsg wrote:I see a perfectly usable Hellbrute there.
Oh yes, he has sneaked into recent games as a Hellbrute. Sadly, I have an actual Hellbrute now so he only sits at the sidelines or weighs down paper. Maybe if I play an Apoc game I'll bring him in to make that Hellbrute formation.

Anyways here's the rest of the finished models.

Chaos Terminators: These guys were my slowest go and took all of June to finish. This picture came out really lousy, I might go back and try it again. Right now I'm on a time constraint as I have to go to work shortly. Also worth noting they had been bare pewter for 18 years. Oh the humanity. Those also aren't the original bases.

Chaos Space Marines: This was a bit of a cheat. I had painted these guys up about 5 years ago, but they were a base coat and a dry brush. So I went in and did a little more detail in July. I also added two addition Marines as they boxes use to only come in 8. You'll notice that the reds are really bright. That's because I found when playing at my friend's place with the lighting, the more subtle maroon I originally did just blended into the black. I wanted them to stick out more from a distance.

Chaos Rhino: The above Marine's ride. Its not really finished but is sufficient for the table. I really want to do a lot more weathering and I noticed the skulls at the back were missed.

Chaos Lord: I think this is the oldest Lord I still have. I've sold of most of my 2nd edition/Rogue trader era stuff to upgrade to newer models. I probably have five Lords of various editions still floating around. Nothing really special here. I tried my first time doing some free hand lightning on the axe. This was the last thing I did up in July.

Chaos Hellbrute: So much flesh! Originally I was going to do Bloodletter like skin but I tried a bit of more human flesh colouring and it made it seem that much more perverse. Which is appropriate no? Old pewter Dread is jelly of this guy. And being plastic he often gets knocked around by the old curmudgeon. This was done in early August

Chaos Sorcerer: Another hold over from 2nd Edition. Very static. He was done at the end of August.

Chaos Cultist: These are the five cultists I've done. I did them mostly in August but just wrapped them up a couple of days ago. I didn't bother highlighting them nearly as much as I did the other models.

So that's what I got finished so far. Back to the Helldrake for me.

CptWombat

Post by CptWombat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Your stuff is really coming along and looks good. Small suggestion, if I may. Throw a wash on your bases, some kind of brown and then throw on the flock. It really helps to tie things together. After u do that I use some crushed up pastels I bought from an art store on the lower half of my figures to help with the weathered look. Totally up to you but I found a good base helps to make up for my lack luster painting. Keep it up?
Sect de San'Oun - Thousand Sons Warband
My HPC2014 progress: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6552
My HPC2015 progress: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8042

CptWombat

Post by CptWombat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm

I meant to say, keep it up! That wasn't supposed to be a question.
Sect de San'Oun - Thousand Sons Warband
My HPC2014 progress: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6552
My HPC2015 progress: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8042

DeMante

Post by DeMante » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Yeah, you have a really nice clean painting style. I like it! Especially for black, it can be tricky some times. Looking real good!

To add to what CptWombat was saying, if you want to take it a step further, do your basing before you prime your model. That way you prime the basing material as well. From there build it up with whatever colors you want it to be and dry brush a couple lighter shades of that color. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's actually pretty easy and the results speak for themselves.

Oh and do the grass last, after everything has been painted. Usually I would not have said that, but I've bought some models which have primed grass.....

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”