Cypher 226 Heresy Death Guard - Land Raider p5! 25 Sept

cypher226

Cypher 226 Heresy Death Guard - Land Raider p5! 25 Sept

Post by cypher226 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi all,

This is my first time participating in the challenge; I was so excited to take part I couldn't wait to get started so (as you may have seen in the question thread :oops:) here I am!

I've decided to go for a Heresy era Death Guard force.

There are a couple of reasons for this; one, I have a bunch of the minis sitting around waiting already, and secondly, I'm getting married in May so I need a goal to keep me on track this year! :D

These guys are most assuredly traitors. As the war goes on (the army will grow as the books continue to come out) and will eventually include daemons and a whole host of other stuff, but for now it is purely un-chaosified supermen.

So here's the basic list:

Calas Typhon
10 man Breacher Squad
15 man Tactical Squad
5 man Tactical Support Squad
5 man Destroyer Squad

Not the most competitive list, but it should be fairly good fun and relatively survivable, with the Breachers and the Tac squad soaking up fire and protecting the Chem-flamer wielding support squad and destroyers. The army suffers from a lack of anti-tank but in Zone Mortalis, hopefully melta bombs will suffice. I have a Contemptor Mortis I'd like to squeeze in, so I might swap Typhon for something cheaper!

I'm planning on refining the list this weekend - I'm struggling with squeezing in some that can grab objectives, while keeping it thematically Death Guard. Any tips are welcome!

Pre-assembly (sorry about the glare - phone camera);
SAM_0844.JPG
SAM_0844.JPG (39.94 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Following primer:
SAM_0847.JPG
SAM_0847.JPG (30.97 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Progress to follow!
Thanks Guys
Last edited by cypher226 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Ministerofpork

Re: Depths of Treachery - Heresy-era Death Guard

Post by Ministerofpork » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Awesome to see more people joining...and even more Death Guard!!!! Good luck. Can't wait to see how you do your breacher squads.

cypher226

Re: Depths of Treachery - Heresy-era Death Guard

Post by cypher226 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:24 pm

So.. there has bee some work going on - slowly, to be fair. Real Life (tm) has intruded, sadly, with the bathroom renovation taking priority.

I have 4 Tactical marines almost finished, just bases and Shoulder pads to do (and I'm working on a jig I can use to airbrush multiple sets at a time). Now I know what I'm doing in terms of process and scheme I can hammer into them properly next week.

Still, I have finalised my list;

Calas Typhon
3 Deathshroud (bodyguard for Typhon)

Breacher Squad - 10 men, Nuncio-Vox & Vexilla, 2 Melta Guns, Power Fist and Melta Bombs for the Sarge.

Tactical Squad - 15 men, Nuncio-Vox, Vexilla, Power Fist for the Sarge

Contemptor Mortis - Twin Kheres Assault Cannons

I'm sure I don't need both the Nuncio-Voxes or the Vexillas, but I love the way they look; they make the marines look like they belong in an archaic era.

The marines are all in Mark 3 armour. This will change once I expand out to 2000 pts, with some Mk 2 and 4 sneaking in (future expansions may include a MkV assault/despoiler squad for some late heresy action)

Pics to follow over the weekend :)

Cleezy

Re: Cypher 226's Depths of Treachery - Heresy-era Death Guar

Post by Cleezy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:12 am

Definitely watching this thread, MK III armour just like my iron hands, a chunk of breaching marines and some destroyers just like me and a badass contemptor with twin assault cannons like me. But death guard (which I very nearly chose ha).

Can't wait to see your progress :D

cypher226

Post by cypher226 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks for the comments and views guys!
I'm a couple of days later with my update, but here's some progress:
DSC_0734.jpg
DSC_0734.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
First four done, barring shoulder pads.

Speaking of which, I mentioned a simple jig for holding them...
DSC_0731.jpg
DSC_0731.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
DSC_0733.jpg
DSC_0733.jpg (14.22 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
Very simple, just a block of balsa, some paperclips and a bit of blu-tack (poster tack for our US cousins ;) ) Should work a treat and cost me literally nothing! I've put ten posts on there so I can do sets of 5 pads at a time, the idea being that I can knock out the whole squad's worth in 3 sittings.

These are next up....
DSC_0733.jpg
DSC_0733.jpg (14.22 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
and these plus the completed dudes will make 2/3rds of the tactical squad. Well on track for the first goal now I think! The paint scheme is laborious but very simple. It's testing my neatness abilities, I have to admit (which is a good thing, to be fair).

Til next time!

cypher226

Post by cypher226 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Finally, an update! :p

February is almost complete - I'm just waiting on a head (sternguard, from ebay) for the sarge.

It's been a slog to get this far, but here we are at last!

an almost finished (pre decal) image:
DSC_0743.jpg
DSC_0743.jpg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Close up of the business end:
DSC_0750.jpg
DSC_0750.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
I tried to get some good shots showing the decals but none of them came out. I'll try again when the sarge is finished and I can box off this first challenge.

While I'm going to do the Contemptor Mortis next, I've washed a character for assembly:
SAM_0849.JPG
SAM_0849.JPG (33.93 KiB) Viewed 3939 times

Evil Space Elves

Post by Evil Space Elves » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 pm

NICE! Loving the weathering on them. You and Ministerofpork are really nailing the 30K Death Guard weathered look without overdoing it. Love it.

Oh gee, WHAT'S IN THE. BOX?! :lol:
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

cicero

Post by cicero » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Nice work man, very attractive colour scheme!

The rusty metal bases add a nice accent to the model and provides a bit of contrast. Keep it up! :D
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

cypher226

Post by cypher226 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 am

Evil Space Elves wrote:NICE! Loving the weathering on them. You and Ministerofpork are really nailing the 30K Death Guard weathered look without overdoing it. Love it.

Oh gee, WHAT'S IN THE. BOX?! :lol:
Thanks for the positive comments guys!
It's killing me not being able to tick this squad off as done. Waiting for the mail man's a PITA. If there's no sign on Wednesday I'm probably going to call it quits on waiting and give him the crested sergeant's helmet, despite DG fluff of using next to no ornamentation.

As for the box....

Ask and ye shall be answered :P :
SAM_0850.JPG
SAM_0850.JPG (33.29 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
And the parts shots:
SAM_0853.JPG
SAM_0853.JPG (179.68 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
SAM_0855.JPG
SAM_0855.JPG (34.12 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
This guy and his 2 bodyguards are going to be my May commitment (I know, I'm getting ahead of myself!). I want to get everything for April/May and ideally June built and primed this month - Like I said at the start of the thread, my May is going to be very limited in hobby time due to getting married so I need all the jump I can get.
There's also the bonus effect that I can start playing with the stuff sooner rather than later! :D

Now to knock up a temporary Zone Mortalis board... where did I put that pile of cardboard....?

CrayolaSmoker

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 am

Nice jig for the shoulder pads! I've never thought to paint mine off the model, but now that I'm using an airbrush I may just have to borrow that idea when the pads don't match the armor. Thank you, sir!

Also, nice Death Guard. Every time ForgeWorld releases something new for them, I want to do them as my next army. I'm a sucker for badass models with green and white color schemes.

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”