Jholtmusic - Blood Ravens - FINISHED!

Forum rules
jholtmusic

Jholtmusic - Blood Ravens - FINISHED!

Postby jholtmusic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:59 pm

This is my first time entering the painting challenege as I've only been involved with 40K since February 2013 when I wandered into a GW store and bought the Dark Vengeance set on a whim.

I decided to go with the Blood Ravens as a primary force for a couple of reasons, I like the paint scheme and the idea of a chapter that is psyker/librarian heavy without being Grey Knights is quite appealing. I also have been having fun creating librarians by kitbashing grey knight kits with sternguard or dark angels veterans kits. Plus for gaming, their chapter tactics aren't set in stone in the C:SM and I can take my choice of chapter tactics.

Here is my list for the first phase of the challenge. Pics to come soon.

1000 Pts - Codex: Space Marines Roster

HQ:

Librarian – 105 pts (combi-flamer, melta bombs, 2nd level psyker)

Troops:

Tactical squad #1 – 165 (flamer, heavy bolter, storm bolter, melta bombs)
Tactical squad #2 – 160 (flamer, plasma cannon)

Elite:

Legion of the Damned – 305 (flamer, multi-melta, power fist, plasma pistol)

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad – 135 (flamer, plasma pistol, power axe, plasma pistol)

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad – 135 (missile launcher X 4, melta bombs)

April 6, 2014 - Full 2000 pt roster

HQ:

Librarian – 105 (combi-flamer, melta bombs, 2nd level psyker) - Finished(phase 1)
Librarian – 105 (plasma pistol, 2nd level psyker) - Finished(phase 2)
Command Squad - 235 (Company Champion, Standard of the Emperor Ascendent, storm bolter, power sword, power fist) Finished(phase 2)
Librarian -120 (terminator armor, Force stave, master-craft storm bolter, 2rd level psyker) - Finished(phase 2)

Troops:

Tactical squad #1 – 165 (flamer, heavy bolter, storm bolter, melta bombs)- Finished(phase 1)
Tactical squad #2 – 160 (flamer, plasma cannon)- Finished(phase 1)

Elite:

Legion of the Damned – 305 (flamer, multi-melta, power fist, plasma pistol)- Finished(phase 1)
Dreadnought - 100 - Finished(phase 2)
Ironclad Dreadnought - 135 - Finished (phase 2)
Sternguard - 200 (combi-melta, combi-plasma, plasma cannon, heavy flamer, combi-grav, melta bombs) - Finished (phase 2)

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad – 135 (flamer, plasma pistol, power axe, plasma pistol)- Finished(phase 1)

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad – 135 (missile launcher X 4, melta bombs)- Finished(phase 1)
Thunderfire cannon - 100 Finished(phase 2)
Last edited by jholtmusic on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 14 times in total.
2015 HPC Blood Ravens-Ordo Psykana(GK)/LoTD/Imperial Knight
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=6278

jholtmusic

Re: Jholtmusic - Blood Ravens - Dark Angels allies

Postby jholtmusic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Below are pics of the completely assembled force. I assembled everything first so that priming and basing could be done as a batch operation when the weather permits. Sorry that the pics aren't that great, my other goal in this challenge is to take better pic of the minis.

My commitment for February (hope to be finished before Feb) is to finish the Legion of the Damned.

The complete force:

HQ:

Legion of the Damned:

Devastator Squad:

Assault Squad:

Tactical Squad:

Tactical Squad:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

jholtmusic

Postby jholtmusic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm

So I had posted an update and I accidentally lost it so here's the second shot.

I have finished my February commitment early! Which is kind of surprising since I've been a very slow painter this past year that I've been involved with 40K.

The first commitment is a painted Legion of the Damned (LOD). The GW models are awesome but I can't afford them at this time. Plus, I prefer to kitbash minis. This will be shown later in the challenge with my librarian/HQ. For my LOD, I decided to use a new tac marine box, which is a great box. The lack of mold lines and minimal amount of cleaning involved made putting them together a dream, especially since I had put together an old tac box the week before.

In addition to the new tac marine box, I used the skulls from Secret Weapon Miniatures's "Sack o' Skulls." I really like these skulls and am considering doing a second LOD just to use the skulls in different ways. For example, modifying/attaching skulls to the backpacks but that's a post for another day.

Also, I departed from the red-based flames, which look really cool but I wanted something that looked more mystical/warp-touched and went with a green/yellow based flames. Also, since my army (Blood Ravens) is red, the overload of red would drive me crazy. So without further ado, here are the pics.

Full squad - Before

Full squad - After

Sergeant

Multi-melta - Notice the caved-in skull?

Flamer

Boltgun/knife

Boltgun/grenade

Bolter marines

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

jholtmusic

Postby jholtmusic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Forgot to post, for March my commitment is to finish both tac squads. I hope to finish them before the end of February but the end of march is possible.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

Loopy
IC Staff

Postby Loopy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Very spooky! And the coloring in the cracks really makes it all come together. Neat!

jholtmusic

Postby jholtmusic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks! I've been busy painting the rest of the army and will actually complete troops, heavy, and fast attack sections by Sunday. All I will have left for the 1st half of the challenge is to finish the HQ and finalize the points for the second half of the challenge.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

jholtmusic

Postby jholtmusic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 pm

So I finished my March commitment and a bit more. . . in January and I only have one figure, my HQ/Librarian, left to paint. I guess my next commitment or maybe a March stretch goal is to finish the HQ AND learn to take better pictures.

Below are the before and after pics of the two tactical squads, devastator squad, and assault squad. I will upload close ups of the figures to show some of the added details later this week.

Before:

Tac squad 1:

Tac squad 2:

Assault squad:

Devastator squad:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

jholtmusic

Postby jholtmusic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:59 pm

And now the after pictures.

After

Everyone (except the HQ)

Tac squad 1:

Tac squad 2:

Assault squad:

Devastator squad:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

jholtmusic

Re: Jholtmusic - Blood Ravens - GK allies

Postby jholtmusic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:10 pm

So my revised goals for March are:

1. Finish my HQ/ Librarian. I'm using red (Khorne red) and blue (Maccagre) for the armor and after paint testing it, the colors look a little too close to Superman colors. I'll still use red for the left arm but will use tan colors for the other details to stay away from the Clark Kent look.

2. Learn to take better pictures. I downloaded gimp and started using it this past week (Thanks Loopy!!) to edit photos. I just need to experiment with lighting and taking better macro pictures with the iphone.

3. Put together the next part (1000 pts) of the challenge. After looking over some of the fluff and thinking about it. I've decided to assign my tactical squads, etc. to the 5th company of the blood ravens, which has some interesting background regarding the warp. This nicely coincides with my choice of the legion of the damned as my elites. I also decided that I would attach first company elements, namely librarians squads (run as GK allies) to round out the 2000 pts. I'll paint up the 1st company as Blood Ravens, I just have to figure out how to paint them so as to show that they're librarians without pursuing the all blue model option.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

jholtmusic

Re: Jholtmusic - Blood Ravens - GK allies-ZM phase - Finishe

Postby jholtmusic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:23 pm

WOOHOO!!!

I finished the all 1000 pts of the first phase of the HPC. I finished painting the HQ/Librarian last and spent this evening photographing the minis.

My HQ is a librarian that I kitbashed from the sternguard and grey knights box. I'm not sure where the sword came from as it was in a bag of misc bits.

Librarian:

Before:

After:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”