Vulkan forgefather Rule Question

Questions and comments on the rules of 40k.
Ridiculi

Vulkan forgefather Rule Question

Post by Ridiculi » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:51 am

Rules question came up with my salamanders army in which I have sternguard with Combi-meltas. Is the whole Combi weapon mastercrafted or is just the melta secondary part?

In the space marine codex Vulkan's allows "all meltaguns, combi-meltas and multi-meltas fired by models in this detachment have the master-crafted special rule."

I the main rule book page 176 it says "a model armed with a combi-weapon can choose to fire either the main boltgun, or the secondary weapon."

If this is the case, then these sternguard can re roll one failed to hit per turn with their boltguns ( special issue ammo etc)

Gigantor

Re: Vulkan forgefather Rule Question

Post by Gigantor » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:51 am

As It's written it seems that the whole combi-melta is mastercrafted. But I reckon it's fairly clear what they were intending. Although the Sallies may love their combi meltas so much they make them all extra awesome. I'd let you have them mastercrafted.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

Ridiculi

Post by Ridiculi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:15 am

Would it be unreasonable to rock up to a tournament and try to claim this? Not trying to be cheesy, but given the master artisan fluff (it's reasonable), and the power spike in say imperial fists chapter tactics applying to sternguard special ammunition I don't think a master crafted boltgun is asking to much.

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:41 am

Ridiculi wrote:Would it be unreasonable to rock up to a tournament and try to claim this? Not trying to be cheesy, but given the master artisan fluff (it's reasonable), and the power spike in say imperial fists chapter tactics applying to sternguard special ammunition I don't think a master crafted boltgun is asking to much.
It's a solid argument for it. If you're really concerned, contact the TO ahead of time and state your case. It'll save an argument later when it could be part of a pivotal action.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

Cieged

Post by Cieged » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:30 am

Ridiculi wrote:Would it be unreasonable to rock up to a tournament and try to claim this? Not trying to be cheesy, but given the master artisan fluff (it's reasonable), and the power spike in say imperial fists chapter tactics applying to sternguard special ammunition I don't think a master crafted boltgun is asking to much.
I don't think it'd be unreasonable in the slightest. I ran Sallies with their previous Codex and I noted a few things;

1) Rules as Written. There is no distinction between the combi weapon and a non-combi weapon for being Master Crafted. Ergo both versions of the weapon get it.

2) Rules as Intended. Every character gets a Master Crafted weapon (regardless of what it is) and with Vulkan every Melta is Master Crafted. Clearly their talents are not limited as they're masters of their creations. Fantastic artisans and smiths, they'd be the best ones to create combi weapons!

3) Rules by Comparison. If you look at the 6th edition book (I don't own the 7th, so can't compare personally) flip to the page about Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics. What you'll see is that with Bolter Drill they gain certain advantages, but listed in those explicit rules, Combi-Weapons specifically do not receive those benefits when not shooting the Bolter version of the combi weapon. Meaning the writers of the book acknowledge that the combi portions are in fact different, but didn't make an exception for the Salamander side of things with their Melta rule.

Or they're lazy. But in any event I like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

In either case I think there are very good arguments to allow you to do this. I only received light friction in my tournaments doing so.

Return to “Rules Discussion”