BrokenPixel's HPC Entry

BrokenPixel

Re: BrokenPixel's HPC Entry

Post by BrokenPixel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Tonight's project: Genestealers

Complete with experimental primer. I hope I'll get 2 coats of wash on all of them.

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 pm

There's several things to say in this post I guess. Some disappointing unfortunately.

The Secret Weapon sepia is nothing like the old GW. It is much darker, and a cooler hue. I could fidget with it more, but I decided to just pick up some of the new GW Sepia. I have not tested it but I'm sure its closer.

The other disappointment was the primer I got. It is far too glossy, and is nothing like the Walmart stuff. The wash runs right off of it, just as I feared. I will try to find some of the powerdey stuff at Walmart, and if this proves to be impossible, then I will give the Vallejo white primer a shot from my airbrush.

The last thing was Adepticon. I showed up for several hours on Saturday. It was my first time, and did not sign up for any events. I played some demos, and a little 40k. My highlights were probably talking to Romeo from Battlefoam about non 40k related things. I did get a bag, and of course these bad boys:

Two sets of twin linked devourers for my Flyrants. They are awesome to be sure. Also, they are fully magnetized.

I still have loads more models to put together, and prime. No painting to show as of late :(

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Sorry that it is sideways, but here is the genestealers before priming:

After priming along with some termies for part2:

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:07 pm

After a long hiatus, I have gotten back on the horse, or wagon... or whatever us model addicts get on. The first coat of wash is complete on my genestealers and Tyrant.

The before:

The after:

Tonight's goal is to get the second coat done and prime the rest of the first 1000pts so I can get this going like a well oiled machine.

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Genestealers after second sepia wash on skin:

Genestealers after red wash on joints and ridged areas, and dark grey on claws. I tried blue on one to match the carapace of the other bugs, but it doesn't look right.

Next step, finish hive tyrant and prime warriors.

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:21 pm

That looks like a quick way to get them done. Have you got any closer shots of a single model?

Also, what brand of washes did you use?
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Sure thing! The pictures don't do it justice.

The genestealers have 2 coats of the new GW Sepia wash. It's called Seraphim Sepia (shade they call it now). The first batch of termagants are Gryphonne Sepia, but I was running low so I switched. The blue wash that I was using is Asureman Blue, but I need that for my space wolves so I picked up some Sapphire from Secret Weapon. I also picked up their version of sepia (you can see in a previous post my comparisons), but it wasn't close enough to the GW. I love the blue though. The guy on the right has Sapphire on his carapace. The red that I use for the unarmored tissue parts like elbow joints and faces, is Secret weapon Drying Blood.

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Sweet. That blue looks awesome. I looked at some secret weapon washes at my FLGS and then went to the GW stuff because the devil you know...

Those look good from what I can see, and it's definitely a method to get a great looking horde army without killing yourself.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah its a great scheme. I got inspiration from this: http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorial ... ids_01.php

and simplified with with some old Beasts of War tips. The video is lost I think, but there's some screenshots here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/ho ... -pic-heavy

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:47 pm

This is what my 2000 pt list is starting to look like.

From left to right:

12 Genestealers Finished
1 Flyrant with twin linked devourers w/brainleechworms--Bare
3 Biovores--Primed
20 Hormagaunts--15 Finished, 1 Primed, 4 Bare
1 Carnifex with twin linked devourers--Bare
9 Warriors--Primed
3 Zoanthropes--Bare
1 Mawloc--Still in box
10 Gargoyles--Bare
30 Termagants--16 Finished, 14 Bare
1 Flyrant with twin linked devourers--basecoated

Not Shown
10 Gargoyles--Still on sprue

Total points=1998

This looks like a weird combination for an army. But I really want to get all my nids painted. I think that I will be collecting more towards the Skyblight formation, and possibly an Exocrine to have the Living Artillery Formation. All of my bases are covered for the little guys. I have a total of 80 termagants built, 20 with devourers, and about 16 more hormagaunts that need to be built. There's also 2 lictors that I found from 3rd edition sitting brand new in blisters in the bottom of a bits box. I built them using the new plastic scything talons to make them look more modern. So much work to do still...

Return to “Tyranids”