Mods - Hive Fleet Rokkaku

Mods

Mods - Hive Fleet Rokkaku

Post by Mods » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:27 pm

Once more into the breach! The never-ending war on unpainted models continues, this time targeting an ever-growing xenos threat! This list is built to what I've got in the closet, so if it makes little to no sense, well...blame craigslist? I don't know.

To satisfy contest requirements, here's THE LIST (Part One(Zone Mortalis))

HQ: The Swarmlord

Elite: Zoanthropes(3) Because they bring the power of love? No, because MIND BULLETS.

Troop 1: Genestealers(9) w/Broodlord (Yeah, there's 10 in the pic. These things multiply when you're not looking. Sometimes when you are...and let me tell you, there's some things a man just can't unsee.)

Troop 2: Warriors(3) with Devourers, Sword/Whip. I don't have any swords, so I'll have to make some.

Troop 3: Rippers(9) How many Rippers do people put on bases these days, anyway?

So that's what I have so far. I did just get that Vanguard Download, and I'm thinking I might see if I have enough genestealers to put together the formation of them, we shall see...

Here's to another fine year of Hobby Progress, and may all other factions find a quiet spot to rest in the digestion pools! :D
Attachments
1-HPC_Feb_Start-001.JPG
Fear our mightily upgraded claws! AP5 for everyone!
1-HPC_Feb_Start-001.JPG (80.1 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

Mods

Re: Mods - Hive Fleet Rokkaku

Post by Mods » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:17 pm

With the clock now running, it's time to get to work on a test model! Since genestealers are kind of an exception to normal paint schemes in that they lack the signature plates, I figured some termagants would probably make better test models. So here's some 'before' pics...

I'm sure many of you have gotten models from eBay or craigslist and wondered what they previous owner was thinking. Well, if you check right in front of the Swarmlord, you'll see what is probably my most favorite secondhand pickup ever. A spinefist termagant with a cape. Why does he have a cape? I have no idea, I just knew that it had to be included in the army. He's got moxie.
Attachments
1-Zoey.JPG
Nannythropes to keep the little tykes in line.
1-Zoey.JPG (82.04 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
1-Swarmy.JPG
Swarmlord & Co: Reducing foes to Biomass for ingestion since before Men made Fire.
1-Swarmy.JPG (81.52 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

falsevariablex

Post by falsevariablex » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Unleash the beast!

cicero

Post by cicero » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Unleash the Rokaku!
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Mods

Post by Mods » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Half-Time Update!

So here's my color-sketch. (I bet there's a name for that.) I'm pretty happy with the general tone, the execution could be better, but I'm taking into consideration that one does not simply paint a single termagant, you know?

I'd really like some feedback/suggestions on what color the guns/exposed musculature/hooves might be. You can see I was playing with different color washes as the farther rear leg is a different color.

Side note: I was also thinking about speckling a little orange and green onto the carapace for the super bowl, but at this rate I might have to just add the green...
Attachments
1-test.JPG
Test Bug!
1-test.JPG (83.3 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
Last edited by Mods on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falsevariablex

Post by falsevariablex » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:24 pm

That looks great, I really like what you have going so far. For the fleshy bits, I would suggest something bright, like a neon green or orange. Bright pink could look good as well.

mmmd

Post by mmmd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:27 am

You might consider going for blue/grey scale only, which fits perfectly with snow/ice bases. The reverse of your sheme (blue skin, with Grey to white armor plates) was actually one of my favourite shemes out of the 3e book. I would say make the exposed skin a darker grey and make the claws soething along the lines of space wolves grey or whatever the blue-grey line is called now (webcheck The Fang and Fenrisian Grey and maybe hoeth blue, though mixing the intermediates in large quantities might be better).
I think using different colors as high lights might only decrease the overall effect. On the other hand menelkers white blue tyranids with purple highlights looks great http://www.figurepainters.com/galleries/tyranid/
HPC 2014: Tyranids again - february done
Join the ICs irc-channel!

cicero

Post by cicero » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:05 am

I love your carapace colour and if you can keep up that level of skillful highlighting across the swarm it will certainly be a fine looking force! :)

I think some dark red accents for the exposed muscle and eyes would add some visual interest, and maybe black/grey talons and hoofs?
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Mods

Post by Mods » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

@falsevariablex: I think I'm going to go with green. I dabbed some on, and it really works. I don't have any green ink though, I want to put some on there and see how it turns out. Stay tuned!

@DeMante: Thanks! (PS: When I was talking about adding some green or orange to the carapaces, it would have totally been a rip-off, I mean tribute to your yellow speckles.)

@mmmd: I wish I would have seen those links before, I actually had considered reversing the scheme, but it looked terrible in my head. Those pics were certainly reason to reconsider! As to the later purple highlights, I really like the colors he chose, they look like they'd belong together on an organism...not sure how I define that, but it works for me. =)

@Cicero: I think the Dark Red for the muscles would be in line with what I was just saying 10 seconds ago, but I can't shake how much I liked the addition of a bright green on Twon's Trygon. I'm not the painter he is, but I really liked how it turned out. As for the hooves and talons, I was right there with you, the first thing I tried was a black/grey, but it seems to stand out a whole lot against how much lighter the rest of it is. I suspect that we're probably still right, and that I need to make it lighter...I know everyone says that you don't really want to use black to make something black, right? I think on my test model, I made them similar to the armor, but a bit darker. I'll revisit it in future iterations.

Thanks again for the input guys! :D

Return to “Tyranids”