Splinter Fleet Syvyys - Pete's Tyranid Spacehulk Vanguard

P.Kelly

Splinter Fleet Syvyys - Pete's Tyranid Spacehulk Vanguard

Post by P.Kelly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:08 pm

As a long-time fan of Space Hulk and someone who has often thought about painting Tyranids, what better way to motivate myself than the 2014 HPC? Thus, I present the beginning stages and ruminations of what I call "Vanguard upon a Space Hulk." While I hope to eventually complete 2500 points of competitive Tyranids to use this year in the Contest of Champions at Great Escape Games in Sacramento, I'll start with the requisite Zone Mortalis focused army. This means I'll probably have to continue playing my Chaos Daemons for the next few months until I can catch-up with painting on the Tyranids.

Using the Combatant (or standard) Zone Mortalis FOC I've come up with the following army list I think I'd like to paint and play with:

Deathleaper - 130
Genestealer Brood (11) - 154
Termagant Brood (15) w/ upgrades - 77
Hormagaunt Brood (15) - 75
Zoanthrope Brood (2) - 100
Venomthrope - 45
Hive Guard Brood (2) - 110
Ravener Brood (3) - 90
Gargoyle Brood (10) - 60
Biovore Brood (3) - 150

990 Points - 72 Models (including the 9 spore mines)

I'll have to average 15 models per month to finish the first half of the challenge. I've set my sights higher so that I can slip a bit and still hit the deadline.

February Challenge - 299 points - 23 models
- Zoanthrope Brood (2 models) - tabletop quality
- Venomthrope - tabletop quality
- Genestealer Brood (11 models) - tabletop quality
- Spore Mines (9 models) - tabletop quality

Current status of my February work:

March Challenge - 210 points - 13 models
- Gargoyle Brood (10 models) - assembled and primed
- Biovore Brood (3 models) - assembled, base coated, and bases completed

April Challenge - 205 points - 16 models
- Deathleaper - in pieces on my desk, filling voids and straightening resin
- Hormagaunt Brood (15 models) - started to cut off the sprue

May Challenge - 163 points - 18 models
- Termagant Brood (15 models) - in the box on my shelf
- Ravener Brood (3 models) - in the box on my shelf

June Challenge - 110 points - 2 models
- Hive Guard Brood (2 models) - primed in pieces, waiting on 50mm bases

Part Deux - 2K list - double force organization

I'll play around with this section as inspiration hits (or I randomyl start assembling new models - as I am often prone to do). This is a bad hobby for someone with ADD...

HQ
Flyrant - 200
Deathleaper - 130

Troops
Tyranid Warrior Brood (3) - 90
Genestealer Brood (11) - 154
Termagant Brood (30) w/ upgrades - 154
Hormagaunt Brood (30) - 150

Elites
Zoanthrope Brood (2) - 100
Venomthrope - 45
Venomthrope - 45
Hive Guard Brood (2) - 110

Fast Attack
Ravener Brood (3) - 90
Gargoyle Brood (20) - 120
Harpy - 135

Heavy Support
Biovore Brood (3) - 150
Mawloc - 140
Mawloc - 140

Aegis Defense Line + Comms Relay (from Chapterhouse when the kickstart ships)

2022 Points, and counting - 120 Models (including the 9 spore mines)
Last edited by P.Kelly on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:08 am, edited 11 times in total.

lemonsucker55

Re: Vanguard upon a Space Hulk - Pete's Tyranids

Post by lemonsucker55 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Now this is interesting. I'm keen on this theme myself so I'll be watching what you come up with with interest. My own HPC is themed around Death of Integrity so would dovetail nicely with your force. It might also be interesting to have a look at the Tyranid Vanguard Dataslate which is due out soon.

P.Kelly

Post by P.Kelly » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:08 am

No real picture love yet; however I have acquired everything on my 2000+ list yesterday with the exception of a Deathleaper (back-ordered 4-5 weeks) and a second venomthrope.

I've assembled my first venonmthrope body and prepped a squad of 3 biovores in the last few days, reminding me that while I like Finecast for some models they really do required a lot more work on the whole than the old metal casts. I was gifted a set of colour shapers for Christmas and I like how they model liquid greenstuff far better than metal tools when filling bubbles and voids.

I am anxiously waiting for the "Vanguard Infestation" dataslate myself. Just one to two more weeks. In my dreams I see Genestealer Hybrids and a Magus. I'm pretty much decided that even if we don't get to see Hybrids back I'm going to build a squad based upon the Warhammer World Event Pack from June of 2013. You can check out the details here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... ck_V.1.pdf

I think they'll fit nicely in a Zone Mortalis game and as long as we're playing beer and pretzels I don't see my opponent minding me including them in the game as long as we can come up with a reasonable points cost. Interestingly, this topic has garnered the most interest in my blog since we opened shop on September 1, 2013. We're not big, and we focus on painting and modeling, but the occasional rumor certainly doesn't hurt things.

Here is a gratuitous shot of my new plastic, nicely hiding what the hivemind has in store for my enemies, I mean lunch.

P.Kelly

Post by P.Kelly » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 am

lemonsucker55 wrote:Now this is interesting. I'm keen on this theme myself so I'll be watching what you come up with with interest. My own HPC is themed around Death of Integrity so would dovetail nicely with your force. It might also be interesting to have a look at the Tyranid Vanguard Dataslate which is due out soon.
Thanks, definitely not the normal Tyranid list. I think it will be well suited for ZM, but probably not for competitive play in the current meta. I'll keep an eye on your force as well.

P.Kelly

Post by P.Kelly » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:00 pm

I think I've decided on a style for my Tyranids. I've been searching all over for inspiration the last week and it was staring at me from the new book the whole time.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 am

The L.U.M.P. I love it...
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Jakartor

Post by Jakartor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 am

And if thats the colour scheme...check out Todays Whats new on Games Workshop Homepage (Friday 17th Jan)

Taaaadaaaa :D

A great colour scheme!!

P.Kelly

Post by P.Kelly » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 am

Jakartor - I saw that this morning and I think it helped reinforce my thoughts on the color scheme. I do think I want the blue chitin to be a bit more grim dark, but still raise to nice bright highlights on the edges.

Also, I want to ensure that the fleshy bits aren't too white or too brown and that I can also spray all of the base coat colors through my airbrush.

I'll get a few more pictures up over the weekend, but I finished prepping 9 spore mines and 3 biovores. I'm in the process of stripping two metal tyrant guard I've had sitting around for a few years with a really thick coat of automotive primer on them. I also have a squad of 10 gargoyles staring at me that require a little flash clean-up before I can prime them. Hoping for some good weather this weekend.

GTTechnics

Post by GTTechnics » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am

P.Kelly wrote: I am anxiously waiting for the "Vanguard Infestation" dataslate myself. Just one to two more weeks. In my dreams I see Genestealer Hybrids and a Magus.]
They need to just bring back the patriarch as well... and the limousines, DEFINITELY the limousines 8-)

lemonsucker55

Post by lemonsucker55 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm going with this scheme for my genestealers, although it won't quite translate the same as it does with the big gribblies.

Return to “Tyranids”