Hive Fleet Jikita - Shaughnn

Shaughnn

Hive Fleet Jikita - Shaughnn

Post by Shaughnn » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:17 pm

The concept is "Hive overruns a Tau settlement and absorbs genetic material". I found a Tau-to-English dictionary online and "Jikita" is supposed to mean "Eaters of (those with?) Souls", or "any cannibal, or eater of other sentient species". That seems like a good fit for what I'm trying to pull off. :)
To this end, I am planning on a Tau-flesh (blue-gray with blue-pruple organs) color scheme with Kroot feathers and maybe some vestigial Vespid elements too?
This is pretty ambitious for me, but I'm hopeful that I pull it off anyway as I'm excited for the concept.
Cheers!,

Update: After waiting for a couple of months for an internet trade which never materialized, I've been haphazardly collecting models when and where I can afford to. Lots of indecision about army list (new player and new Codex) and how the random units I've been able to collect has seriously impacted my productivity. But I'm resolute to complete this project by the final deadline, even if I don't hit any of the monthly milestones.
Last edited by Shaughnn on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakartor

Re: Hive Fleet Jikita - Shaughnn

Post by Jakartor » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Great concept, looking forward to seeing it done, good luck!!! Hope the codex is everything you hoped for!!!

mmmd

Post by mmmd » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Shaughnn wrote:This is a placeholder until I'm able to wrap my head around the new Tyranid codex and put together my actual army list. The concept is "Hive overruns a Tau settlement and absorbs genetic material". I found a Tau-to-English dictionary online and "Jikita" is supposed to mean "Eaters of (those with?) Souls" Kroot, in reference to their cannibalism, N; any cannibal, or eater of other sentient species". That seems like a good fit for what I'm trying to pull off. :)
To this end, I am planning on a Tau-flesh (blue-gray with blue-pruple organs) color scheme with Kroot feathers and maybe some vestigial Vespid elements too?If I go fluffy, I might even try to nearly eliminate Psychic units?
This is pretty ambitious for me, but I'm hopeful that I pull it off anyway as I'm excited for the concept.
Cheers!,
Well, that sounds like an ambitious conversion project (if i am not overfantasizing), maybe even kitbash tyranid and kroot/vespid kits might be an very interesting idea, I would love to see. But it will take A LOT of work if only because of the high model count of an infantry heavy tyranid army.
I don't quite agree that leaving out psychers would be neccessary for fluff reasons, beacause of two reasons:
First, if you know xenology, the book about the inquisitor base, the kroot who ate the navigator brain developed navigator brain tissue, so actually was becoming a psycher.
Second, tyranid psychers are not actual warp user, if you go by the fluff, tyranid psychic powers are manifestiations of the combined mental capacity of the hive mind, which might even be closer to what ethereals do.
HPC 2014: Tyranids again - february done
Join the ICs irc-channel!

Shaughnn

Post by Shaughnn » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks Fellahs! I think that I've got a method for the Kroot feathers which will go pretty quick. Maybe I'll play around with feet to make them more Tau-ish too? For me it's going to be mostly color with some converted accents. But if I could manage a Carnifex modeled like a Krootox that would be pretty spectacular. :)

Shaughnn

Post by Shaughnn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 pm

In advance of the arrival of the new book, I got bored. So, I decided to just put together a list to get me in the mood. I know that it's going to change, but here's the rough draft. I expect that I'l pare the final list (and unit count) down to comply with the Hobby Challenge time frame.
As I've never built a Tyranid list before, I'd appreciate any input about what I've got here so that I can consider it in my final roster.
Thanks!

Zone Mortalis 1000 pts. - Attacker

Swarmlord - 280 pts

Tyranid Prime - 100 pts
-----Rending Claws w/ Death Spitter; Regeneration

Hive Guards "Annihilate" (x2) - 100 pts

Hive Guards "Brutal" (x2) - 100 pts

Raveners (x3) - 105 pts
-----Rending Claws w/ Scything Talons

Hormagaunts (x15) - 90 pts

Termagaunts (x15) - 75 pts

Tyranid Warriors (x3+1) - 150 pts
-----Rending Claws w/ Devourers
-----Scything Talons w/ Venom Cannon

Shaughnn

Post by Shaughnn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Picking up book tomorrow. But here's the first unit, at it's most basic. I'll have to see what options are now available before I commit to weapons/enhancements and head angles. Cheers!
Attachments
20140110_165205(0).jpg
20140110_165205(0).jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

mmmd

Post by mmmd » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Well even if the options are out now, you don't have to force yourself to choose, use magnets for the arms :).

Using magnets takes maybe 2 minutes per model, but saves you a lot of time, when the next codex arives and some other weapon is the new choice, even if you don't create every weapon option now.
HPC 2014: Tyranids again - february done
Join the ICs irc-channel!

Shaughnn

Post by Shaughnn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! And I just happen to have a passel of 1/16"x1/32" rare earth magnets too. I'll give it a try.
:)
Shaughnn, in Seattle

cuzzle

Post by cuzzle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey Shaughnn, love the idea for the army. Can't wait to see progress pics as you get painting. I have some Tau models/bits you can have if you want to use them for basing/eating. I think it would be cool to have a few Tyranids tearing apart a fire warrior or two and would be a nice visual clue to help show the unique theme of the army. Good luck!

Shaughnn

Post by Shaughnn » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 am

Well, it's taken me a little while to get over the soul-pinching (not quite soul crushing) experience of magnetizing a brood of Termagants. Matching the polarity, after trying not to drill through the sides of narrow appendages, take a bit more inner-peace than I had counted on. :) But now I've got a very versatile group of 12 models. :) I'm still waiting on a trade that's *supposed* to happen, and from that I'll know what larger models I'm going with. Until then, I'll just glue up more Gants. :P
Here's where I am so far. 12 magnetized Gants and another 3 Gants from the "Battle for Macragge" boxed set. IAll of the tails are wiggly now, using my heat gun instead of a flame. I've got a base coat of blue on the magnetized Gants and the extras will be getting primer and base coat today. And I've started on the "feathers". I'm making these a little long so that I can trim them for uniformity after they've been set. Using .020 styrene rod and relaxing them slightly with the heat gun also. I'm going to experiment with dabbing Liquid Greenstuff around the bases to see if it gives a more organic effect.
I welcome advice, criticisms and encouragement.
Cheers!
Shaughnn, in Seattle
Attachments
20140202_080408.jpg
20140202_080408.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
20140202_080317.jpg
20140202_080317.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
20140202_081929.jpg
20140202_081929.jpg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

Return to “Tyranids”