Karma_Kamileon - Astral Spectres [C:SM]

Karma_Kamileon

Karma_Kamileon - Astral Spectres [C:SM]

Post by Karma_Kamileon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 am

EDIT: And here's a handy progress chart I'm going to update on a monthly basis.
FEB: Devastator Squad x7 (2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Plasma Cannons, Sarge /w Stormbolter) - COMPLETED timestamp paintjob
MAR: Techmarine (Bolter, Thunderhammer, Melta Bombs) + Servitors x5 (2 Heavy Bolters) - COMPLETED timestamp paintjob
APR: Scout Squad x5 (4 Sniper Rifles, 1 Missile Launcher, Camo Cloaks, Sarge with Meltabombs) - COMPLETED timestamp paintjob
MAY: Bikes x4 (2 Plasguns, Sarge with Powersword, Meltabombs) + Attack Bike (Multimelta) - COMPLETED timestamp paintjob
JUN: Devastator Squad x7 (3 Laser Cannons, 1 Multimelta) - COMPLETED timestamp paintjob
JUN 2: Chapter Master (A.-Armor, H.-Blade, Shield of E., Auspex, M. Bombs, D. Weapons) - COMPLETED
timestamp paintjob
JUL: Droppod x2 (Deathwind Launchers)
AUG: Tactical Squad x5 (grav gun, sergeant [combi-grav, melta bombs])
SEP: Legion of the Damned x6 (Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Sergeant [Power Axe, Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs])
OCT: Honor Guard x7 (2 Honor Blades, Chapter Banner, Champion [PW/CCW])
NOV: Knight Errant

After my failed 2011/2012 attempt, here's another try with a different approach! Still loving the show, still loving 40k (and playing much more in the meantime instead of my former, rather lonely existence as a converting and painting caveman), and I'm really glad the whole Hobby Progress thing took off the way it did. Kudos, Carl and Crew. (Never mind the new account, old one was registered to a now-defunct email adress as far as I can tell: No biggie, yay for fresh starts!)

This year, I'm going to shamelessy expand my existing Iron Hands Successor Space Marine army and pretty much only work around the Zone Mortalis theme with units I'd like to add, anyway. And it works out just great, so no complaints! Just being honest about it, here. :) I actually like the ruleset and definitly will try it someday, but this stuff is not tailored towards it.

Here's my initial 1k Defender List to get this one on record (999 to be precise, Codex: Space Marines):
HQ

Chapter Master (Artificer Armour, Honor Blade, Shield of Eternity, Auspex, Melta Bombs, Digital Weapons)

Techmarine (Bolter, Thunderhammer, Melta Bombs)

Servitors x5 (2 Heavy Bolters)

Troops

Scout Squad x5 (4 Sniper Rifles, 1 Missile Launcher, Camo Cloaks, Sarge with Meltabombs )

Fast Attack

Bike Squadron x4 (2 Plasguns, Sarge with Powersword, Meltabombs)
attached Attack Bike (Multimelta)

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad x7 (2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Plasma Cannons, Sarge /w Stormbolter)

Devastator Squad x7 (3 Laser Cannons, 1 Multimelta)

And here's my additional 1k points turning this ugly Zone Mortalis duckling into a beautiful swan of fiery heretic death or something. (1999, of course- Codex: Space Marines with an Imperial Knight Detachment)
HQ

Honor Guard x7 (2 Honor Blades, Chapter Banner, Chapter Champion /w PW/CCW; Drop Pod /w Deathwind Launcher)

Troops

Tactical Squad x5 (Grav Gun, Sarge with Grav Pistol; Drop Pod /w Deathwind Launcher)

Elite

Legion of the Damned x6 (Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Sarge /w Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs)

Knight Detachment

Knight Errant x1

So, what's different this time around? First of all, I'm expanding an existing army with a set color scheme and established method, which is also heaps easier to work with in terms of complexity, in painting as well as converting. Also, I already gathered and assembled everything I need for the first past at least, so no getting held up by assembly in general. See? I learned. Things. ;)

This should cover it nicely for starters- possible early JAN/FEB pledge with timestamp and more thoughts coming up soon, when I got it all sorted, but being someone who prefers pictures with my walls of text, here's two pics from the bygone converting/assembly stage of parts of this list. My sniper scouts and... well, I guess my biker sergeant is a closet captain. :D I always wanted to somehow work with the half of the Black Reach captain model I actually like, despite its exhaustion.

Cheers!
Last edited by Karma_Kamileon on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Karma_Kamileon

Re: Karma_Kamileon - Astral Spectres [C:SM]

Post by Karma_Kamileon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Here's a bit more of an insight into what's coming up, to give you a feel for the army I'm expanding. I like doing level-by-level shots of my display cabinet. There's nothing quite as telling in terms of progress.

Level 1: Astral Spectres! Ironically, the whole thing started out as a "I got waaay too many leftover space marine stuff to not sell or use it"-project, and turned into my most consistently painted and played collection.

Level 2: More Spectres, and the results of my last hobby challange participation: Can't really say I failed the 11/12 challange, as there's quite some stuff done! Ain't no failure in having some really challanging stuff done, right? Still, my Chaos Marines are a project for late 2014 at the eraliest. Still², I'm trying to raise the bar this time around.

Level 3: Current challange stuff! Also, some things I'm gonna have to finish up outside the boundries of the HPC, and some sneak peeks into the 2k expansion for the second half of the year. Full list and Kanban board screenie coming right up.

Level 4: Rock bottom. I affectionately call it "the shame pit". :lol: As you can see, there's always room for more stuff in the shame pit...

Will deliver any kind of details regarding the chapter, its making and any models past on request or whenever I feel like it- just to make this thread a bit more interesting. Thanks for having a look!

farbror_uffe

Post by farbror_uffe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Looking nice! Makes me wanna get a display cabinet myself :)

Karma_Kamileon

Post by Karma_Kamileon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:32 pm

farbror_uffe wrote:Looking nice! Makes me wanna get a display cabinet myself :)
You should! It was quite a feat to get past my significant other, but it did wonders for my hobby comfort and pride. No more cold storage, much more gratification!

Karma_Kamileon

Post by Karma_Kamileon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Aaand here's my first entry. Following Carl's advice from his post, I'm starting off with something boring and squaddy. ;)

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Boring and squady is the way to go I think ;) trying that approach myself. I feel we have a similar problem. The need for a second cabinet haha. Mine is so very crammed! Though my bottom shelf isn't for shame its for unopened models. Shame stuff has a special place on a shelf in my bedroom. That way every morning I can remind myself that i need to improve haha
"For Guilliman and the Emperor!"

My hobby progress challenge viewtopic.php?f=87&t=6206 Ultramarines 4th company.

AlusCWM

Post by AlusCWM » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:20 am

Heavy Weapons are never boring! :P and the more the merrier

And cabinets to display your stuff is a wonder! I have 4 IKEA cabinets hanging on my wall filled with Space Marines alone, and I am desperatly in need of a few more ^^

The models you've done already look really cool :) Let's hope you finish adding those 2000 points this year then :D

Karma_Kamileon

Post by Karma_Kamileon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, I'd need a bigger one or more of them, too- pretty soon. But we need to move to a bigger place, first.

So I finished basecoating all the things tonight and my can of Uniform Grey only got close to dying for a change, punched in and got it done like a champ. Brave little can- my last one splurted thick drops all over my stuff halfway through. Good to know I don't need to get another one for the next few months!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:25 am

Awesome to hear that you are getting more games in. After all, this should be a fun social experience... it's what sets us apart from other hobbies! Its nice to see you're having another go at the HPC. looking forward to more.

guido

Post by guido » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:54 am

I realy like the bike captain, simple but (as simple convertions usually go) very effectieve convertion.
Also like the heads on your scouts.

On another note, i also startend painting my left overs ... Man that made me scared of myself. Way to many stuff just collecting dust ... But I'm on my 3th blood angel army now, so I'm on the right track :)

Good luck on your way to recovery :D the specters look nice by the way

Guido

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”