Aninja's Astral Claws Challenge Complete!

Forum rules
Aninja

Aninja's Astral Claws Challenge Complete!

Postby Aninja » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:21 am

* This page will be updated with new progress.

Astral Claws Boarding Assault Force Valthex

1,005 pts

HQ:

Master of The Forge Armenneus Valthex "The Alchemancer": 145 (June)

Epistolary Ashur Nuntar "The Dark Seer": 65 (Bonus Vow)

ELITES:

Venerable Brother Amru "Roar of The Ancients" (Febuary)

Venerable Dreadnaught
Heavy flamer.

Veteran Retaliator Squad Arkash "The Honor Thieves" (April)

10 veterans, two lightning claws, thunder hammer, storm shield.

TROOPS:

Tactical Squad Kalath "The Tyrants Arm" (May)

10 marines, flamer, heavy bolter, sergeant with combi-flamer.

Tactical Squad Nispul "The Steel Spines" (March)

10 marines, plasma gun, lascannon, veteran sergeant, combi-plasma.

995 point addition

Command Squad Nuntar "The Dark Guard" (November)

4 veterans with melta guns, apothecary.

Tactical Squad Kourash "Cullers of The Weak" (September)

10 marines, plasma gun, missile launcher, veteran sergeant, combi plasma.

Terminator Squad Connon "The Banishers" (October)

10 terminators, two chainfists, two cyclone missle launchers.

Ancient Ajax "Scourge of The Maelstrom" (July)

Dreadnought with multi-melta, heavy flamer.

Old Rovik "The Martyr"(August)

Dreadnought with assault cannon, Heavy flamer.

Bonuses:

All those extra weapons!

Corien Sumatris:

Codicer Mughal:

*Original Post Follows

This list will play pretty simply, with each unit designed to threaten both light and heavy infantry, and some can hurt a walker in a pinch. The Retaliators, Chaplain, and Dreadnaught will form a spearhead with the tacticals as support. The Librarian will get in where he fits in depending on what power he gets. I am not sure what discipline to give him as I do not know much about them yet. Got any suggestions?

Plans for the second portion are a lot of Iron Hunters and a Huntsmaster. I also really want Valthex in there somewhere...so I may redo the list a bit at some point to fit him in (probably by dropping the libby and swapping a tactical squad with scouts). He is a bit expensive though since I don't have a good unit to use the alchemical rounds (wish I had a 10 man termi unit!).

I will probably be painting Venerable Brother Erish for the month of February but I may switch to Squad Arkash. I started assembling Squad Arkash but will be waiting for the FW heresy armour I ordered to finish them. Heresy armour has always been my favorite and I am stoked to finally get some. They count as Vanguard, but thematicaly they are Retaliators who have been "stealing honors" from their defeated foes, along with ornate pieces of armour and powerful close combat weapons!

In addition I spent some time making ship boarding bases and made rubber molds of the more complicated ones so I can reproduce them. I have never made my own pieces before and I am really excited about them! I put Valthex on a boarding assault base as well, even though he is not on the list I hope to get him painted.

For the Tyrant!
Last edited by Aninja on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:17 am, edited 19 times in total.

TwoPlusSave

Re: Aninja's Astral Claws

Postby TwoPlusSave » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:31 am

Awesome! Such a sick conversion beamer conversion. And press mold bases! You're putting the rest of the BBST crew to shame! Can't wait to see paint on these!
Proud member of Bros Before Saving Throws

http://brosbeforesavingthrows.blogspot.com!

Bavius

Postby Bavius » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:16 am

Oh yeah, this is gonna be a cool army.

Aninja

Postby Aninja » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Finally had my forge world order show up!  I got some Astral Claws transfers and some Heresy Armour.  The armour is so rad!  My favorite power armour mark by far.  I am really stoked to finally have some!

That said this week I completed Shadowblade as a late xmas gift for my brother, and got a little bit of work done on the Claws.  I converted the librarian Ashur and finished assembling the marine squads. The srgs have their weapons magnetized for versatility.

I also got some paint on Venerable Erish. Still more to go though.

Slay them fo The Tyrant!

Stahler77

Postby Stahler77 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Excellent conversions! Looking forward to seeing the progress on these
If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research.
A. Einstein

The speed of light was supposed to be an absolute limit, like the age of consent, not a guideline, like the drinking age.
A. Petri

TwoPlusSave

Postby TwoPlusSave » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 pm

That librarian is incredible! I love the sculpted librarius badge! Is that a DV model?
Proud member of Bros Before Saving Throws

http://brosbeforesavingthrows.blogspot.com!

jholtmusic

Postby jholtmusic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Great conversion on the DV librarian! Plus the dual grav-pistol marine is incredible and the pose on your combi-flamer sergeant looks as though it should be on a recruitment poster.
2015 HPC Blood Ravens-Ordo Psykana(GK)/LoTD/Imperial Knight
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=6278

Aninja

Postby Aninja » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 am

Glad you guys like them! That is the DV librarian, albiet with new arms. The gs work is stolen off of Tigurius...a shamefull gs press-mold I made. He is also where your librarians arm comes from! The BBSTHFME Bitz Bash Fun Hunt continues! The DV minis are AMAZING! Sadly he is the only one I own.

Converting characters is my favorite part of the hobby and I am stoaked to share my efforts. I have also found that dual pistol wielding characters are a ton of fun in 6th Ed, two shots and sixes are placed! The other day one of my Minotaur Srgs place shout a stupid de succubus in the face! So sick! And the Wyches lost a ton of punch as a result.

No pics but I got some more done on Erish tonight and started assembling a Huntsmaster for the second part of the challange. Though I am debating changing Erish's name now that I have seen the names on my FW transfer sheet.

Loopy
IC Staff

Postby Loopy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:51 pm

You are a true hobbyist.

Never ask forgiveness for using moulds to come up with awesome creations. This stuff looks great!

Aninja

Postby Aninja » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:20 am

Loopy wrote:You are a true hobbyist.

This is a huge complement! Thank you. I love sharing the little projects that bring me such joy. This sort of exchange definitely helps to keep me going!

And now to prove both our points.

Feb. Vow complete! I had sooooo much fun painting this guy, and am thrilled with how he came out. I changed his name though. He's Venerable Amru now because I hate free handing letters. Inspired, I had a photo op and wrote some fiction. The results follow.

Here Venerable Amru of the Astral Claws engages The Minotaurs during the fight for the mining city of Koth on Kyro in The Pale Stars region. Tactical Squad Sulla of the Minotaurs makes a stand as the Astral Claws stationed with the Koth Tyrant's Legion garrison counter attack in an attempt to break out. After suffering massive defeats at the hands of the Minotaurs, Amru deemed Kyro lost and led the Astral Claws survivors in their withdrawal from the planet, leaving the garrison to their fate.

Though damaged, Amru survived the encounter with Squad Sulla after slaying Veteran Sergeant Scipio in close assault. Seeing their leader smashed to a bloody, steaming pulp by Amru's powerfist, the squad disengaged to make a tactical retreat.

Amru and many other Astral Claws escaped the doom of Kyro and would live to fight again. This failing would eventually be atoned for with the shedding of loyalist blood, as Amru lead many bloody ship boarding actions later in the war. Amru was confirmed as destroyed during the fall of Badab, eventually succumbing to heavy melta fire from Exorcists Devastators aboard the Ring of Steel's Star Fort.

After the battle the Exorcists found that Amru still clung to life within his armoured sarcophagus, though it was little more than a molten, smoking wreck. His sarcophagus was taken by chapter Techmarines as the Exorcist forces withdrew to blockade the system. After hours of intense interrogation, Venerable Amru, the roar of the ancients, veteran of a thousand wars, was put to death by Inquisiorial order, his sarcophagus simply being shut down. His vox disabled, he could not even curse his executioners as he met his second death.

Oh man that was fun! I can't wait to paint more. Not sure what to paint next! They are all so cool!

More shots (and weapons!) are at the blog below if you are interested.
Last edited by Aninja on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”