Jack State - The Brasclow Regulars

Jack State

Jack State - The Brasclow Regulars

Post by Jack State » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:06 am

Hey gang. Shortly after the new year I decided to change-up and attempt a new painting style. I had been painting extremely slowly, painting a single model at a time, really enjoying what I did, but I wished constantly that I had a little more kick to get an entire army done. I decided to pick up a box of Cadians and start working towards this end. I don't have an Imperial Guard Codex just yet, and with the supposed drop of one within the next 3 months I don't see myself purchasing one until they re-release. However, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for this contest and continue to push myself. Since I don't know the real point values on anything until then I figured I will jot down here a bunch of items that it is my goal to complete and once I get a new book in hand I can come back and fine tune the list. Here is what I know I will work on thus far:

3x 10 man Guardsman Squads - 1 w/ a grenade launcher, 2 w/ flamers & Voxs
2x 3 base Heavy Weapons teams - 1 w/ mortars, 1 w/ Heavy bolters
A Command squad - uncertain of the gear layout
4x Sentinals - uncertain of gear layout
Commissar - Boltgun
3x Sanctioned Pyskers

I already had pictures of them since I created a tumblr blog to track my progress. http://elwoodmjackson.tumblr.com/

I have thus far primed and started my first base coat upon the models so tomorrow I will take a picture of them at this very early state and put in a notecard with the date.

I hope I have a little more luck with speed this year and good luck to everyone in their painting endeavors!
Last edited by Jack State on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Loopy
IC Staff

Re: The Brasclow Regulars

Post by Loopy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Good luck changing up your style. I've always been a messy painter, so I admire anyone who can get into a single model and really do an A++ job. Looking forward to seeing how you make the transition.

Jack State

Post by Jack State » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:04 am

Thanks man. I've always admired people who could paint an entire army so right back at ya. 8) I think I finally figured out how to post a picture on here so gonna give it another try with this post. Here come ze Guardsman!

I want my guardsman to remind me of the WW2 era Soviet Soldier so I'm going to attempt to make the cloth upon them a grey-green, the flak armour grey, boots brown, and shoulder guards soviet red. I primed all my models with Krylon Grey Primer and thus far have put a base of Castellan green upon the cloth and Bugman's Glow upon the skin. On my blog I am already posting pictures of step by step through the process, so I will try not to flood here with every minutia, maybe just after every milestone such as all bases done, all washes done ect. I don't know if I will get a chance to work on them tonight, but next step is to base the helmet, flak armour and guns with Mechanicus Standard Grey.

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/elwoodmjackson
Attachments
HPC1st.JPG
HPC1st.JPG (240.34 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

bixeightysix

Post by bixeightysix » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm much like you, man. I can sit down and knock out a single model in a night...and it's painstakingly slow...but looks pretty darn good. Only problem is, I can't seem to finish a whole army...or better yet...half of one! So this challenge came up at the right time and has given me the inspiration. Hopefully it works! You're models are looking great, and I like your blog. Hopefully you can just keep banging out ten man squads and get on a roll. That's what I'm trying to do. We'll see how it goes. And I don't know if you intend to continue with your basic idea of a list...but the battleforce would suit you nicely! It comes with 20 guardsmen, 3 heavy weapons teams, a Command Squad, and a Sentinel...ALL of which you have in your list thus far. Just an idea I wanted to throw out there for ya! They've suited me terrifically...I bought THREE!

Good luck man, you're off to a great start!

-Bix

Jack State

Post by Jack State » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:32 am

Oh damn. Your right didn't start to consider stuff like that, but I'm glad you brought it up, because that is like hitting the easy button for building the collection for me. Now to admit a mistake in my long term planning... Late in the third quarter of last year I was at a tournament and I won a raffle that allowed me to pick and battle box I wanted from the store. I actually picked up the IG box and was teetering on the edge whether I should go with it or not, and in the end decided, nah I'm not really going to start this. lol. Big mistake. Oh well.

As a side note to anyone who responds to my thread here. When you comment can you tell me which army you guys are building so I can search out the right forum and check out your stuff. I've discovered I'm not to good with the search tools on here, but I really want to check out your works. There are just so many entries that it is hard for me to find them without narrowing down where to look a little. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jack State

Post by Jack State » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 am

So I finally got a look at an IG point list and was able to build a list. (Apologies for any minor discrepencies, it was only a quick look.)

HQ
Lord Commissar, Carpace Armour, Power Sword 90 pt.s

ELITES
Psyker Battle Squad 60 pt.s

TROOPS
Infantry Platoon 242 pt.s
Heavy Weapons Squad
Infantry Squad, Grenade Launcher
Infantry Squad, Grenade Launcher
Platoon Command Squad, 2x Plasma Gun, Sgt. w/ Bolt Pistol & Plasma Pistol
Infantry Platoon 310 pt.s
Heavy Weapons Squad, 3x Autocannon
Infantry Squad, Flamer, Vox Caster, Sgt. w/ Power Maul
Infantry Squad, Flamer, Vox Caster
Platoon Command Squad, Commissar, 2x Melta Gun, Vox Caster, Platoon Cmdr. w/ Power Fist

FAST ATTACK
Armoured Sentinal Squadron, 2x Sentinals, 2x Smoke Launchers, 2x Lascannon 150pt.s
Scout Sentinal Squadron, 2x Sentinals, 2x Smoke Launchers

TOTAL
932 pt.s

Well, that at least is a start for me...... and alot of painting. Guess I will get down to more painting right now.

Jack State
The March Onwards
http://elwoodmjackson.tumblr.com/

Jack State

Post by Jack State » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:59 pm

I took your advice bixeightysix and plunged in.
Attachments
HPC Imperial Guard Battleforce.JPG
HPC Imperial Guard Battleforce.JPG (205.88 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

Jack State

Post by Jack State » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:41 am

Well, I figured it was about time to update with my hobby progress. Thus far I have been quite happy with my results. As of this post I have based the cloth with Castellan Green, the flesh with Bugman's Glow, and the shoulderpads/Srgt.s wrist-guard with Mephiston Red using a citadel paints and Standard brush. I have also based the eagle skull emblems, and Srgt.s chevrons with Balthasar Gold and gunmetal and knives with Leadbelcher again using citadel paints and a fine detail brush. I discover Mechanicus Standard Grey is the same color as my Krylon Gray Primer and thus have only had to use the citadel paint for touch-ups. I was also going to use citadel Screaming Bell on the exhaust port of my Srgt.s chainsword, but when I brought the paint home from my gaming shop and opened it up I discovered the pigment had firmly separated inside the pot. I called my local gaming store to let them know and will exchange it with them when I have time, however I'm not sure if I will move on and just start using another color on that yet, before I get a chance to make the exchange.

What comes next:
I will be using Formula p3 Thamar Black to base the soles of my troopers boots and on some parts of the Srgt.s headset, followed by base the rest of the boots, the belts, the grips of the knives, the grip of the chainsword, the Srgt.'s hair and the bases with Dryad Bark by Citadel. That should complete all basing for me. To be honest I will be kind of nervous to move on to washes since I really am pleased with the look of the models right now. Guess that is a good problem to have. Here are a couple pictures so you can see the progress thus far and take a look at my color scheme.

Jack State
The March Onwards
http://elwoodmjackson.tumblr.com/
Attachments
HPC progress 01252014.JPG
HPC progress 01252014.JPG (272.02 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
HPC Base Leadbelcher and Balthasar Gold.jpg
HPC Base Leadbelcher and Balthasar Gold.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

Jack State

Re: Jack State - The Brasclow Regulars

Post by Jack State » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:42 am

So I've been reading the rumors about the release of Imperial Knights the past couple days. Anyone else asking themselves in the back of their mind, "Hmmm... Could these be possible allies I will turn to with my list when they are released?"

Loopy
IC Staff

Re: Jack State - The Brasclow Regulars

Post by Loopy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:58 pm

That is, of course, if they aren't in the same codex. :) Either way, the sentiment is the same.

Return to “Imperial Guard”