Sir Servo - Soltarii 98th "The Unyielding Anvil"

Sir_Servo

Re: Sir Servo - Soltarii 98th "The Unyielding Anvil"

Post by Sir_Servo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 am

And so it begins... First Vet Squad on the priming block. Hope to make some progress yet tonight.

-Servo

PS: Sorry for all the edits, but I am trying to figure out Photobucket.

MJames70

Post by MJames70 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:02 am

Sir_Servo wrote:
The 'ratling' snipers (which I am going to use cadians in place of) are going to be the difficult part. I have Cadian snipers already, but not sure if I am going to try my hand at gas mask sculpting or not :/

-Servo
You could always look at some of the gas mask head swaps out there, like from Secret Weapon. The mask style wouldn't match Krieg, but that would probably actually be a benefit, as it would make the unit stand out even more as being 'different' from the rank and file Krieg.

Glad to see you've gotten started. I've had a terrible week/weekend, and didn't get anything else accomplished...

Sir_Servo

Post by Sir_Servo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:39 am

MJames70 wrote:
You could always look at some of the gas mask head swaps out there, like from Secret Weapon. The mask style wouldn't match Krieg, but that would probably actually be a benefit, as it would make the unit stand out even more as being 'different' from the rank and file Krieg.

Glad to see you've gotten started. I've had a terrible week/weekend, and didn't get anything else accomplished...

I had thought about the Head swaps... unfortunately all my Cadian Snipers are the old pewter ones and are one solid piece so modifying those is not going to be easy. Maybe I will do some digging and see if they made Fine-crap ones and do a few test models of those out. I 'should' be able to remove a head off a resign model with my dremel.

The base coat is now on the first squad, so I think I might try and do some painting before bed yet.

Ahh the life of a 3rd shifter. :)

-Servo

MJames70

Post by MJames70 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:55 am

Sir_Servo wrote: I had thought about the Head swaps... unfortunately all my Cadian Snipers are the old pewter ones and are one solid piece so modifying those is not going to be easy. Maybe I will do some digging and see if they made Fine-crap ones and do a few test models of those out. I 'should' be able to remove a head off a resign model with my dremel.

The base coat is now on the first squad, so I think I might try and do some painting before bed yet.

Ahh the life of a 3rd shifter. :)

-Servo
Third shift is so much fun. I've gone from third to first back to third since the start of December.

It's not that tough to snip away pewter with good hobby shears, like the ones intended to be model railroad rail cutters, like from Xuron. And a Dremel to finish it off. I agree it is taking a chance with a metal mini that is about twice the price of a plastic one, though.

As far as I know, the Cadian and Catachan snipers are still metal. Good luck on the painitng. Definitely bedtime here.

Sir_Servo

Post by Sir_Servo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:10 am

So after priming them, I found lots of mold lines and flash that had not been removed by the previous owner :( ... so I have finally cleaned up everything and re applied the base coat. My goal is to have these 10 done by this weekend and maybe even start on another squad.

-Servo

tomjoad

Post by tomjoad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Somehow, my eyes can hardly ever see a mold line until a model is already primed...it's a pain, for sure.

Jack State

Post by Jack State » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:36 am

I hear ya guys on the mold line removal game. It is inevitable when you spend so much time working on the little models that you will pick up every little imperfection that exists. On my Cadians I am working on right now there is a little spot between the head-strap and the helmet of one model that I thought was cloth when painting, but now easily see it was flesh. Part of it drives me wild, but whatever, its a guardsman, the odds are he will be dead soon anyway. lol

Jack State
The March Onwards
http://elwoodmjackson.tumblr.com/

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:43 am

<== This guy sometimes does REALLY heavy paint on his highlights to hide a mold line. :lol: :lol:

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:14 pm

I hope you haven't fallen on hard hobby times, Sir Servo!

Return to “Imperial Guard”