The 3rd Cyrenaica Legion, 8th Cohort (1st half done)

tomjoad

Re: DKoK - A worthy New Year's resolution

Post by tomjoad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:26 am

I've got the base coat on the first squad. Time permitting, they'll be done this weekend. But, since the rest will be done by hand, I thought I'd post a pic of my first real airbrushing attempt to have something to compare to later and (hopefully!) see some real growth.

tomjoad

Re: DKoK - A worthy New Year's resolution

Post by tomjoad » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:26 am

First squad is almost done! Just a bit more weathering at the bottoms and then basing.

tomjoad

Re: The 3rd Cyrenaica Legion, 8th Cohort

Post by tomjoad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Still haven't got to bases, but my second package should be arriving today so I can start the rest of my February commitment (and the third package, containing the whole rest of my DKoK order, shouldn't be far behind it).

BUT, the name of this thread has been bothering me. I'm really bad and naming things, I think, but I like for things to have names. So, combining my love of history (particularly Roman history, lately) and the fact that the Death Korps really remind me of the Roman legions, I have chosen this name. The 3rd Cyrenaica are a real historical legion, and they are documented enough to have quite a few commander's names recorded, which I will probably use for my character's names as well. Unfortunately, they don't have a known legionary symbol/standard for me to try to copy, but the Death Korps models come with their own standards anyway, so no harm done.

Anyway, I HOPE to have a lot more work to show off here soon and be done with my February commitment before January is up.

Sir_Servo

Post by Sir_Servo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Naming things can be tricky, but letting history do it for you is an old trick that lots of writers use! So don't worry, you are not alone. Apart from my "Army Name", the Soltarii, the names of all my IC's and units are Hebrew names with various meaning for each of the squads.

Most of my DKoK were an ebay purchase from late last year and I started base coating them before really looking at them so once I did finally see them primed I noticed all the mold lines that were not taken off :( ... so Now I need to buy the matching paint (thank you Army Painter!) and touch up all the ones I scrapped the mold lines off of.

Your stuff is looking good so far and can't wait to see more of it!

-Servo

tomjoad

Post by tomjoad » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Here's the pic of the second squad for my February commitment:

bixeightysix

Post by bixeightysix » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 pm

DKoK seem to be taking over! I have to admit, the models are very sexy. I saw one army a few years ago first hand, but it wasn't painted...so I couldn't get a feel for just how gorgeous these guys are. One day, I'll see some up close. Would be awesome if I had the cash to buy some...but IG are expensive enough as it is without getting Forgeworld involved!

Anyways, you're stuff is looking good! From what I can see in your picture...those lenses on the masks look fantastic. You say airbrushing is intimidating...that's exactly how I feel. I'm looking to purchase a nice one here in a few months and have it in time for the second half of the challenge to help with vehicles...but I've yet to ever use one, so I'm super nervous about trying it out. We'll see.

Keep up the awesome work. And I love the name!

-Bix

tomjoad

Post by tomjoad » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:12 am

The Krieg models always looked so good on the website, but they honestly look even better in person. Even unpainted, they're just seriously impressive.

I am very fortunate in the airbrushing in that a friend of mine is not only a very very high quality painter, but he is always eager to teach new people. Without him, I'd still be doing Army Painter/drybrush/wash. That old method looks fine (my Ultramarines were all done like that and I love them!) but I figured Forge World deserved better.

Thank you for the kind words! The encouraging atmosphere here is tremendous. I think it's why there's such huge participation in the HPC, far more so than a kr bag.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:50 am

Looking really good so far!

I also wouldn't be worried about the army name. In fact, if your opponent recognizes it, then that would be a great conversation-starter with a like-minded individual. You could make a friend!

tomjoad

Post by tomjoad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 pm

February commitment done! I'll edit pics of the whole squads into the first post, but here's a couple of the sergeant from squad #2.

tomjoad

Re: The 3rd Cyrenaica Legion, 8th Cohort (February done)

Post by tomjoad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:49 pm

I got my shipment today. The rest of the army is here. I'm still saving the Death Riders for last (they are so beautiful, I want to get half decent with the airbrush before I paint them), but I built one anyway. It's the best looking mini I've ever touched and I can barely wait to get them now!

Return to “Imperial Guard”