Skip- The Cadian 317th- Round Two

Skip

Re: Skip- The Cadian 317th- Round Two

Post by Skip » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 am

Thank you Jakartor & Whitestagg. While the tanks have received a large boost with being able to claim objectives; I am starting to think that infantry are necessary to mitigate assaults & carry additional heavy weapons.

I hope to write a few more Battle Reports in the near future. Although I still lack a fully painted army so any pictures will not be as nice as they could be otherwise.

I have not been able to update my painting/ general hobby thread in about a month. Last year I was a Social Studies teacher in Yuma, AZ. While I loved my life in the desert (it's true!) and teaching; when I came home for the summer I realized that my parents' health and work situation was less than stellar (family health issues/ my Dad had lost his job). I decided to do the right thing and come back to the Empire State, look for work and help support my family.

With that being said, let us talk Astra Militarum, the Hobby and happier things.

Given that I have not had a lot of time to hobby- this post primarily discusses list ideas and a potential new army list build (potentially my new list for the Hobby Challenge).

My return to the Empire state gives me access to my old gaming groups/ store venues so I can at least reach basic hobby supplies and can hopefully attend events in the area (maybe Da Boyz GT).

Since I have come back to the area I have gotten two games of 40k in at 2000 points. I have learned a few things from both of these games (these are briefly summarized below)-

Game One- James (Thousand Sons)
Psykers:
I need to bring more than two psychic levels for the Guard from this point forward. While I cannot get re-rolls on my tanks through Divination, I can get re-rolls on whatever squad the psyker is attached with and help me dice. In this game I only had one psyker; Coteaz (level 2!) to James’s 16 (I think that this was the correct number). This left me with an entire phase of the game (basically his shooting phase), where I couldn’t do anything to protect my units.

While most opponents will not have more than ten psychic levels I get the feeling that between four to five is the “safe” number to take to be able to compete in this new phase of the game. With the guard is relatively easy- with 2 psykers at level 2 for less than 200 points.

Luck:
I’m starting to learn that my luck with the game as a whole is rather atrocious to put it mildly. In this game both my Demolisher’s scattered and were then blown to pieces by (his) lucky shots. If I am going to be effective in the game, I need weight of dice to even out my bad rolls and help me to actually get enemy units off of the table.

Armor:
My tanks performance was rather varied. Pask and the Executioner in his squad did a fantastic job against the Chaos Terminators and his Commander (Ahriman). Granted in the first turn the Executioner nearly killed himself whilst rolling ones- re-rolling those…then rolling two more ones. The Eradicator and the Punisher did a great job killing off demons groups as they arrived from the warp, but they had to get close to be effective. This ultimately led to their downfall as the Chaos Space Marines were able to get close with their AT and destroy them.

List Changes- I need more anti-armor first and foremost. While I did not face many tanks in the game, the one defiler never went down…and for a Guard army that is a bit embarrassing. I also need something to help draw fire away from my tanks earlier in the game, so a missed turn of shooting in round one will not hamstring as much.

Coteaz is getting tossed from the list for the moment. While I love both him and his squad- the shooting from the Weapon smiths is unreliable at best, unless they are deployed in cover on foot for the ability to get Divination off (at which point they are prime targets). Also in the two games I have used him, I have been unable to go first or take advantage of the “I’ve been expecting you” rule.

Game Two- Francis (Orks)
My list: 2000 points
HQ-
Pask in an Exterminator with Multi-Melta, Lascannon, Relic Plating and Heavy Stubber
Leman Russ Executioner with Plasma Sponsons, Lascannon and Heavy Stubber

Priest
Psyker (level 2) x2

Troops-
Platoon Command Squad with 3x Grenade Launchers, Vox Caster and a Medi-Pack
Guardsmen Platoon with Flamer and a Vox Caster
Guardsmen Platoon with Flamer x 2

Heavy Weapons Squad- Lascannons x 3
Heavy Weapons Squad- 2x Saber Weapon Defense platforms with 2x Crew each

Veteran Squad with 2x Meltas and a Flamer in a Chimera

Heavy Support-
Leman Russ Punisher with 2x Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Heavy Bolter on the Hull and a Heavy Stubber
Leman Russ Eradicator with 2x Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Heavy Bolter on the Hull and a Heavy Stubber

Imperial Knight Titan- Knight Errant (Thermal Cannon)

Ork List-
3x Battle Wagons (one had a 3+ invulnerable!?)
Aegis with a Quad Gun
15 Grot manned guns (I do not know what they were called- but they were nasty!)
40 Something Orks spread between two of the battle wagons
Flash Gitz
10 Boyz in a Trukk

Psykers:
Four Psykers worked perfectly in this game. Albeit he did not have any psykers in his list, I felt that four allowed me to get what I needed to do easily and without making myself or my opponent feel overwhelmed. For less than 200 points I was able to get some interesting powers off. I tried Pyromancy with one of the two psykers and I was able to get off Fire Shield (4+ cover save and the unit treats all open and terrain features within 6’ as dangerous). I was able to cast this on the Knight Titan so I did not care about the shield facings as much.

In the later close combats the re-rolls to hits from Divination made the difference.

Luck:
My rolls and general luck this game was less than dismal. I had two and a half turns of shooting in which I did nothing. In two of the turns the only thing that I had accomplished was killing one or two orks…that bad.

Armor:
While the Wyverns did the Lion’s share of the work this game, I know that I have too much anti-infantry in my list. I need to balance out things a bit more, so I will be dropping the two anti-tank Leman Russ tanks in the Heavy slot in favor for two Demolishers with Lascannons and a Heavy Stubber. This should be a huge help when I run into Land Raiders and Battle Wagons again.

Knight-Titan:
I loved running the Titan in the game- it stomped a Big Mech to death and then gleefully jumped on a mega armored Warboss. It was beautiful. Granted it was eventually taken down by Grot weaponry….but it was still something that helped to even out my horrible dice rolls in the shooting phase. However, I am going to caution against running the Errant over the Paladin. In four turns of shooting I only managed to Pen and roll a one…on a single Battle Wagon…pathetic.

While I liked running the Knight-Titan, I wanted to see how I would fare with additional tanks versus a Super-Heavy. Granted if this doesn’t work out for me, I may try throwing a Baneblade in the list and see how that works. I heard that it a viable Imperial Guard tactic- throwing a Baneblade at the problem.

This is my current 1850 point Astra Militarum List. I’m trying to include more Anti-tank in the list as I have been having great difficulty with destroying enemy tanks. I have been sure to include some units that I have learned are almost “necessary” in order to operate properly within the local gaming community (two level 2 psykers/ something to take down flyers- This is often another flyer).

Headquarters:
Knight Commander Pask- Command Vanquisher
Hull-Mounted Lascannon
Pintle- Mounted Weapon- Heavy Stubber
Sponson- Mounted Weapons- 2x Multi-Meltas

Leman Russ Battle Tank (Command Squad)
Hull-Mounted Lascannon

Ministorum Priest
Primaris Psyker (Level 2)

Troops:
Veteran Squad 1
2x Plasma Guns and an Autocannon
Squad has the Forward Sentries Doctrine

Veteran Squad 2

Infantry Platoon-

Commissar with Bolt Pistol & Close Combat Weapon

Platoon Command Squad
Platoon Standard
Vox Caster
Heavy Weapon’s Team- Autocannon Team

Infantry Squad One
Vox Caster, Flamer & Lascannon Weapons Team

Infantry Squad Two
Flamer & Lascannon Weapons Team

Infantry Squad Three

20x Conscripts

Fast Attack:
Vendetta Gunship

Heavy Support:
2x Wyvern Support Tanks

Leman Russ Demolisher Squadron-

Leman Russ Demolisher Tank
Hull-Mounted Lascannon
Dozer Blade

Hull-Mounted Lascannon
Dozer Blade

1850/ 1850points

This list should help me out with my problem of successfully destroying enemy tanks (ironically I had the same problem with my Grey Knights up until I started to include Dread Knights). I’m thinking that the mass of 7 lascannons and 3 autocannons should help me to open up enemy transport vehicles so my Wyverns can do their magic.

I’m currently thinking as far as board set up- putting the Veterans on the flanks in cover- with one of the psykers potentially in the squad to ensure that they get re-rolls or support abilities. Also this could help my Autocannon teams get side shots on tanks (looking at you Battle Wagons!) to further improve my odds.

When I have kept my Wyverns hidden, I have tended to do much better overall- but I am toying with the option of maybe throwing camo netting on the unit.

The general idea of the list is to deploy center or on a flank, castle up the tanks and use my hopefully good firepower to knock out key enemy units (anti-tank/ transports) early on. I then hope to start marching the entire up the field and start knocking out enemy units (although the heavy weapons teams may not be well suited for this…hm…). However, I think that if I drop the lascannons from the Guardsmen squads and the platoon standard from the HQ- I can potentially take a Hydra gun platform. Then I have to buy a Hydra…and that is troublesome indeed (list is still a WIP lol).

For 2000 points I’m considering dropping the Vendetta, taking two Sabre Weapons platforms and a Knight Titan. However, I think I may have to drop the Conscripts too (much to their relief I would imagine).

Any further input or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am still attempting to figure everything out and trying to rework different points totals for the full list.

-Skip
Critic Review of my Painting:
Loopy wrote:I weep for the stars that were born and died to make the elements necessary to create the paint you smeared across your models.
Proud member of the fabled Team Battlepouch

Whitestagg

Post by Whitestagg » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Where in NY?

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm in Upstate New York- just North of Albany.

I live about 10 minutes from Loopy's place. The Albany area is awesome for 40k at the moment and the gaming groups in the area have been growing steadily. I'm about 40 minutes from two great gaming venues with monthly events and tournaments.

In the meantime as I'm hunting for jobs and what not I'm picking up the paint brush for a few local folks and getting some minor projects done for them. I figure that it can help keep my mind fresh/ pay some small bills while I look for jobs (currently working on a Looted Knight Titan).

Of course I hope to start working on the Guard again soon too, but I'm a bit iffy on the lists so far as my army keeps changing in response to what I've played against locally. However, the first unit on the block is going to be the Platoon Squads with Lascannons, as I have a good number of guardsmen already painted (should not be too painful to fill out these units).

-Skip
Loopy wrote:I weep for the stars that were born and died to make the elements necessary to create the paint you smeared across your models.

Whitestagg

Post by Whitestagg » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Nice I'm from Homer (45 minutes south of Syracuse) will be back in NY for a vacation early November!

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:46 pm

That is awesome bud. I'm about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Syracuse.

Let me know when you get back to NYS if you want to try to organize a game- I think there is a store in Syracuse that plays 40k.

Whitestagg

Post by Whitestagg » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:00 pm

There sure is, read the story play the game I think it is called. I don't think I'll be able to carry an army home though unfortunately.

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:58 am

All good bud- let me know either way. I'll be more than happy to swing by the area to talk shop/ meet up at that store for a few.

Concerning the list- I hope to be able to play test it out soon, but I unfortunately need to build a few things before that can happy. Also the fact that there are over 80 infantry models in that list sorta blows me away. As I have about 100 models in my entire Grey Knights army at three times that point cost. Insane.

When I got back to NY I was not feeling the desire to do any hobby (I think a mound of unfinished Imperial Guard is somewhat to blame for this). A friend of mine asked if I could paint his Knight-Titan. At first I turned him down, but then he spoke about the ideas he had...and it sounded like too much fun to not build and paint it...an Ork Looted Titan. Amazing. Enter the new Ork Titan- El Kaptain

I have been practicing with plastic card on my Imperial tanks, but something like this was a bit different and a lot of fun. I used a lot of the new GW technical paints (corrosion/ rust) to weather the Titan/ make it look every bit as rusted, temperamental and generally beaten the hell as an Ork vehicle should. These paints worked wonders on the model-and were easy to use as well. Adding the rust or corrosive paints to different mechanical bits gave the Titan I was looking for quickly.

Everything on the Titan moves and the top comes off for better storage (no magnets!) The weapons were easily magnetized and I built a boat on the base to hold the weapon not being utilized. I kept with the Ork Freeboota/ Pirate theme throughout the model- adding a Peg Leg, Eye Patch, Crow's Nest and of course a Pirate Kaptain's hat.

The Pictures:

Now I go back to painting millions of Guardsmen are punishment for my crimes against the Emperor... That being said, this project has actually made me want to do more in the hobby again; which involves painting a lot of Guardsmen.

As always thank you for your time,
-Skip

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Awesome work, Skip!

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Loopy wrote:Awesome work, Skip!

Thanks Loopy! I passed off the Knight-Titan to Mark and he seemed to like it a lot, which is never a bad thing. I was very happy with the way that it turned out and I had a blast with it. Guess I'll just have to play Orks eventually....another horde army...awesome.

I have made a few more adjustments to my Astra Militarum list that I will be playing tomorrow evening at the local gaming store. Once I get a list fully blocked out I can start working on the more important aspect of it (the painting) in earnest. However, I know of a few things that I will definatly be using and I spent a few hours today building 20 Conscripts, Commissar, Psyker and another Priest. I'll be starting on the painting of the infantry this week.... so much infantry.

I have my new list included below as well as my general strategies with each unit entry. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Headquarters:
Knight Commander Pask- Command Vanquisher
Hull-Mounted Lascannon
Sponson- Mounted Weapons- 2x Multi-Meltas

Leman Russ Battle Tank (Command Squad)
Hull-Mounted Lascannon

Strategy: This is in general the premier anti-tank unit in the army. I have been having a lot of trouble with destroying enemy armor, especially AV 14 (Battlewagons!). I know that I’m going to continue to see more of these tanks in the future (and Land Raiders) and I need a somewhat reliable way to drop those vehicles quickly. I can also split fire with the Leman Russ Battle Tank using orders, focusing on infantry in the open with the Battle Cannon.

Ministorum Priest

Strategy: The Ministorum Priest will be attached to my Infantry Platoon to further augment their abilities and keep them on the board. The only downside is with Zealot, I will be unable to go to ground for an improved cover save. However, the Priest will provide the squad with a better close combat ability should something unpleasant assault them. In a previous game the blob squad with the Priest was able to bayonet a squad of Flash Gitz to death.

Strategy: One Psyker will take Divination and be attached to the Infantry Platoon. This will allow me to get the critical re-rolls to hit on the lascannon Heavy Weapons teams and give the guard an additional punch in close combat/ close range shooting (re-rolls to hit combined with “First rank, Fire!, Second rank, Fire!” should do some damage. The second psyker will take Pyromancy and be attached to the Veteran squad. This psyker, depending on his powers will be able to buff the squads around him; or do some damage to incoming enemy units (last game the fire shield power effectively shut down Ork assaults on a Knight-Titan for a turn).

Troops:
Veteran Squad 1

Strategy: This unit will be positioned in ruins or suitable terrain towards the center of the board- on a flank of the board (attempt to be opposite of the Infantry Platoon). I am hoping that will allow the unit to get side shots on enemy armor (the Autocannon can hopefully pick off these targets). Furthermore, this squad can sit on an objective and hopefully hold it with their +1 to cover and any additional buffs from the Psyker.

Infantry Platoon-

Commissar with Bolt Pistol & Close Combat Weapon

Strategy: The Commissar will be attached to the Conscript squad, providing them a far more reasonable way to stay on the board (versus their low leadership). My hope is that this unit will be able to absorb an enemy’s assault, stick there (Thank you Commissar) and break during my opponent’s turn. This will hopefully keep his units bunched up still in my shooting phase (this is a great target for the Wyverns).

Platoon Command Squad
Platoon Standard
Vox Caster
Heavy Weapon’s Team- Autocannon Team

Strategy: Standard Platoon Command Squad with Vox-Caster to make orders more reliable. The Autocannon Team will allow me to get a few shots off at enemy flyers or light tanks. The Platoon Standard is in the squad only to hopefully net me another point or two for painting scores (Free hand banner? Yes please). Also I in no way had 10 points at the end of the list building and figured that it seemed like a good idea.

Infantry Squad One
Vox Caster, Flamer & Lascannon Weapons Team
Sergeant has Melta Grenades

Infantry Squad Two
Vox Caster , Flamer & Lascannon Weapons Team

Infantry Squad Three

Strategy: These three Infantry Squads will combine to create an infantry blob that will sit behind the Aegis defense line. The priest included in the unit will help with their morale checks and general staying power. Furthermore, the defense line will provide the all-important 4+ cover saves to the unit. The three lascannons will work to pick off enemy tanks and heavy infantry from a long range; whilst the flamers are in the unit to provide a bit of a kick in over-watch (or if the enemy fails a charge on the defense line!). There are two Vox-Casters in the unit as well to prevent one from getting sniped out of the squad. Each of the Sergeant’s has a Melta Grenade/ Bomb as with the Zealot rule I cannot fall back due to useless weapons. These grenades should hopefully help me in dealing with enemy Dreadnoughts that have managed to get into close combat.

20x Conscripts

Strategy: I intend to use this unit as a speed bump (don’t tell them this!) and an objective grabber. This cheap squad should allow me to move up the board quickly, take an objective (such as the relic or a standard objective) and stay for a turn or two of combat if need be.

Fast Attack:
Vendetta Gunship

Strategy: Move onto the board and target either enemy flyers or attempt to get side shots on enemy armor. The three lascannons should hopefully (even with my dice) take down an enemy tank or two.

Heavy Support:
2x Wyvern Support Tanks

Strategy: I intend to target enemy infantry with these tanks. In almost every game I have played with the Wyverns, they have done an amazing job destroying hordes of enemy infantry. In the last game with them, they accounted for 40 orks. I like to use target priority with these units, targeting enemy Anti-Tank squads from range and neutralizing them before they pop the Russ’s. In the first game I used the Wyverns they took down a squad of lascannon Long Fangs turn one, effectively negating my opponent’s arranged anti-tank for the game. Also the Wyverns I have found work best when they blast apart an enemy that has just been taken out of their vehicle (I have killed 20 orks in a single shooting phase in this way).

Leman Russ Demolisher Squadron-

Hull-Mounted Lascannon
Dozer Blade

Hull-Mounted Lascannon
Dozer Blade

Strategy: I hope to use these two tanks to take down any close ranged armored targets or blocks of Terminators that stray too close. I am considering holding these tanks in reserve and moving them on. In this way their short range does not leave them being a huge target for the first two turns of the game.

Fortifications:
Aegis Defense Line with Quad Autocannon

My basic anti-air defense and cover save barricade. I like the idea of the Aegis Defense line a lot with the guard and I think that such a fortification is almost a must-take for any Guard gun-line. However, I am considering taking a Communications Relay. With the Relay I could postpone my Vendetta from coming in until an enemy’s flyer is already on the board, and reliably bring in units from reserve (Demolisher Squadron in particular comes to mind).

1850/ 1850points

General Strategy:

- When I deploy I need to keep in mind enemy assault and shooting phases/ potential damage that be caused to the guardsmen on the ground. I need to wrap my units so that the enemy cannot mutli-assault my units/ tie up the gun line. Hopefully with enough lasgun fire and hopefully accurate Wyvern fire, I can keep my squads alive.

- Target Priority is essential. I need to target enemy models that can damage my tanks as well as their transports quickly. Once these two targets are down, I can hopefully separate the rest with shooting and baiting with the conscripts and then destroy remaining pockets.

-Tactical Objectives require armies to be able to move and stresses mobility. My list lacks a lot of mobility, but I can move the Veterans and Conscripts forward for objectives. Furthermore, my tanks can move forward and score objectives (I love this btw). I just need to be intelligent during the terrain and objective set up.

-There’s too many of them! There are over 70 infantry models and seven vehicles in this list. Given that 5k point Grey Knights Apoc army is just over 100 models, this is a crazy development for me. When I have played against horde armies (and often lost), I have had a great time. I may have been tabled, but I took a bazillion Orks or Cultists with me. When I started to design this list I had this thought in mind; I wanted to be able to give my opponents a good game. I may (hopefully!) pull of a win (which hasn’t really happened yet), but my opponent will assuredly wipe out a significant number of Guardsmen, making them feel like they have accomplished a lot (and making the game more fun in the process…well not for the conscripts but that’s another story).

Potential List Changes:
- I am thinking of dropping the autocannon and standard from the Command Squad and instead taking three melta guns. I would then run this squad inside of the Vendetta and use them to pop stubborn enemy vehicles and MC’s in their backfield. Furthermore, the unit could then get line breaker and other objectives (makes the list a bit more mobile).

-Communications Relay as opposed to the Quad Autocannon for the more reliable reserves.

-General points trimming to gain additional points for a Chimera for the Veterans/ additional wargear for the army.

As always, any list suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Once the things I am weakest with concerning the hobby is list building and trying to figure out a tougher list that will give my opponents a good run for their money.

-Skip

Skip

Post by Skip » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Good evening,

I apologize for the bit of a delay in posting any new battle reports or any update to my hobby progress thread.

I have been able to get in a few games with the Astra Militarum and I have them detailed below in this post. I have also detailed my experiences with a few games with the new Grey Knights. I have a few general concepts reported below, but I do not go into full detail. Instead I focus on the overall concepts and lessons that I have learned from these experiences.

It is my hope with this is that it helps guide any one that is also looking at the Astra Militarum and potentially Grey Knights as Allies as I have not seen many good resources out there for Astra Militarum players particular (everything out there is referencing 6th edition…).

Singles Tournament- 1850points.

Last month I was able to attend the singles tournament up north at Dirty Goblin Games in Queensbury, New York. As usual the turnout was good for the Capital Region; with about ten players participating. Originally I was going to help run the event so the store owner could better focus on the growing crowd of Magic players, but I jumped in to keep things balanced.

Preface- the games up north can be a bit competitive at times, but I was very, VERY happy to not only get to play against three challenging opponents; but have three great games against good people (having fun > winning).

My List: My Guard list is basically unchanged from what I had discussed before-
HQ-
Pask in a Command Vanquisher with hull mounted Lascannon, Sponson Mounted Multi- Meltas and a Heavy Stubber
Leman Russ Battle Tank with hull mounted Lascannon and Heavy Stubber

Imperial Guard Priest
Two level 2 Psykers

Troops-
30x manned Blobbed Infantry Squad with 3x Lascannons and 3x Flame Throwers and each of the sergeants were equipped with melta bombs with 2x Vox Casters
1x Platoon Command Squad with Autocannon and Vox Caster
1x Veteran Squad with 2x Plasma Guns, Autocannon and Forward Sentries
1x Commissar
20x Conscripts

Fast Attack-
1x Vendetta

Heavy Support-
2x Wyvern Support Tanks
2x Leman Russ Demolishers with Lascannon and Heavy Stubber

Fortification-
Aegis Defense line with Quad Gun

Game One- Chaos Space Marines with Demons Allies
His list- Comprised two Hell Drakes, a few of the Pink Horrors with that book of summoning new units, a Chaos Psyker in Terminator armor with a few Terminator body Guards in a Chaos Land Raider, a Chaos Rhino with a standard Chaos Space Marine squad inside, a bunch of Cultists and a few Obliterators.

I won the turn to go first and placed my Wyverns in the Corner of the map behind a LoS blocking terrain- and spread my troops in the center in an effort to capture the relic (the primary objective) in the center of the board. I then put my tanks on the flanks and planned on a pincer move on his forces as they moved towards the center of the map.

He deployed his forces along the entirety of his board edge and placed his Oblits in cover as well as his Land Raider. After deployment we shook hands and he failed to seize the initiative because my opponent was a kind nice person. He had a squad of Havocs with Autocannons in a ruined building to act as his AA (which was a brilliant idea I felt) and he opted to keep his Rhino with Chaos marines and Cultists in reserve.

I pushed my tanks forward slightly and had the Conscripts move forward towards the Relic. My plan was to use the Conscript blob to grab the objective and hand it off to my center squad with the priest- as they would be able to reliably hold on to the objective.

My first shoot phase was a rousing success. Pask leveled his Vanquisher Cannon and rolled a hit, followed by an armor pen- to which my opponent provided a failed cover save. I then rolled a 6, resulting in a blown up Land Raider. His Psyker and Terminators were bunched up and well within the range of the Wyverns which immediately opened fire- killing the entire squad, Warlord and best chance in the psychic phase. I had the blob squad fire at his Oblits and felled one and put a wound on another one.

After the first few shots of my initial shooting phase we both saw where the game was going. His primary ground offensive power was nullified and his Rhino and cultists were still not on the board. By turn one I was near the relic and would have it secured by at the very least turn four within my own lines. He had to come to me- and just lacked the tools to get there.

The remainder of the game was a mopping up action on the behalf of the guard. I did not want to commit my tanks to rushing forward to wiping him out however, as I did not see a reason to table him. I knew that if I could shut down his remaining anti-tank I would be able to give a few pot-shots here and there; but otherwise feed him a small unit or two. This would make my opponent feel like he was in the game a bit more, and hopefully increase his enjoyment of what had become a VERY one-sided match.

It was a good game overall and my opponent was a great player/ great hobbiest. He had some great things painted in his army and I would recommend looking at Loopy’s blog for some more pictures of his stuff from a battle report that Loopy made from the same event.

We sat down and discussed his list- he thought he could ride his Land Raider up the flank and try to outflank my tanks with his forces. When I questioned him about his oblits, he said he made a mistake- he needs to deep strike them next time. Four oblits dropping in a scary thing- and something that I would have figured would have happened (but was happy that they didn’t!).

Round Two- 5th Edition Grey Knights (game was played right before the new book dropped)

My second round opponent wanted to give the old 5th edition Grey Knights book a proper send off in this last tournament. Being a huge fan of the Grey Knights I was excited to play against him as he comes up with competitive and very interesting lists.

His list- Draigo with I think 7 Paladins (apoc, psycannon, weapons mix including hammers) in a Land Raider Cruader with Psybolt Ammo, 5x Grey Knight Terminators with weapons mix and a psycannon in a Land Raider, a Storm Raven with the hurricane bolters and psybolt ammo (dakka Raven) and an Eversor Assassin in the Raven

We played Hammer and Anvil with kill points as a primary which already left me a bit of a disadvantage.

Deployment- I rolled for the first turn and deployed along the board edge, trying to give myself a turn or two of shooting before his raiders rolled up on me. I tried to use the cover for my advantage and keep him at bay, or at least funnel him so I could bring all of my guns to bear. My only hope was to shoot at him enough from range so if I had to move something forward, I could easily destroy the leftovers. I would have to really rely on my dice at the start of the game.

He deployed to use some of the terrain to mask his movement forward and protect his tanks from what could have been a pivotal alpha strike against his two Raiders (the Chaos player made sure to let him know what Pask could do).

On my first turn I was able to knock out the standard Raider by popping a tread and stripped the other Raider of two hull points. Not a bad account by my standards, especially with my at times tragic dice rolls.

He pushed forward with the one raider and took pot shots with the other at the Leman Russ tanks, but failed to do anything other a glance a single Demolisher. In his turn he go out with the Crusader and assaulted the conscripts- killing almost all of them, but they were able to run away…and RALLY!

The rest of the game was back and forward to the max- but in the end he only managed to kill the Commissar and a Veteran Squad for the kill points scoring. While he knocked out a Wyvern, a Demolisher and a single standard Leman Russ- he couldn’t finish off any of the squadrons and was denied kill points.

I tried to play the mission and focused fire on one unit at a time. Starting with his Paladins- killing them all until it was only Draigo, then on the two Land Raiders- finishing off both and then finally wrapping up with the few remaining Terminators. In the end he had only Draigo left on the board.

At this point I was feeling really good about my prospects of actually winning a tournament! I have never won a singles event before and the closest I have ever come was second (by a single point!). Despite this, I was dreading the last round as I was not mentally ready to play this one guy that frequents the store up there (cheating/ rules lawyer, but doesn’t actually know the rules….all around bad human being…and he plays Eldar- all you need to know).

However, the store owner had me go against the Space Wolves player that plays up there- and I was SUPER HAPPY. The Space Wolves player is an awesome player and all of our games are always a lot of fun. At the start of the game he vowed vengeance as I had tabled him at the start of the summer with a fully mechanized list.

Game on Wolf Man…game on indeed

His list- A bunch of Thunder Wolves with the Harold McWolf Wolfenstien dude on a Wolf Mount of Wolfness, 2 squads of long fangs- one with 5 lascannons and the other with 5 missiles, two Rhinos with Grey Hunters- one with a level two rune priest, a Storm Wolf and a Shield Bearing Dreadnought.

It was the vanguard mission set up (I never win at this deployment!). I set up a solid enough castle defense and politely asked my guardsmen to fix their bayonets. My hope was to destroy enough his Thunder Wolves so I could start to comfortably move forward my tanks to nullify his long fangs. It was the Emperor’s will objectives, so I had to just knock out his troops and win the game.
The old phrase- kill troops…win games.

The game started out amazing for me. Absolutely the best you can possibly ask. I was able to killed ALL of his thunder wolves by turn two, leaving only the Lord on the wolf mount to act as his offensive army. I was able to systematically destroy a Rhino a turn and use the Wyverns that were just in range to wipe out his Space Marines. By the bottom of turn three he had a few scattered Long fangs, his Dreadnought (which was tied up comically with conscripts and a really determined Commissar) and his flyer with one hull point left. I had almost every left on the board when this happened….

At the end of the game this happened:

His flyer snap shot lol-killed Pask flying by (whilst shouting Yolo I’m assuming). His Wolf Lord with a wound left. I’ll repeat that as it bears repeating- A WOUND. SINGLE. BEING OF THE NUMBER ONE. UNO wounds left made 40 something armor saves whilst in close combat with the guard blob over four turns and few turns of shooting….just amazing.

His flyer- which flew back to score his objective in hover made over 20 jink saves…

There is unfortunately not much you can do when the dice turn on you like that. We had an awesome game and it was a ton of fun. Granted he now knows that he is no longer allowed to complain about his dice. Ever….again….ever.
It was his first time winning a tournament as well; so I felt very happy about that. I cannot find the White Dwarf Handshake picture in my phone- but we had one- and a few drinks at the bar!

Lesson learned:
Deployment- I cannot keep the Wyverns in the extreme rear of my deployment zones- as their 48’ inch range isn’t big enough to allow that. In the last game this nearly cost me as his long fangs were out of range and his objective was nearly out of range.

Movement-
The Conscripts were a good little speed bump, but when there is something that can challenge out the Commissar, whom must accept to keep the squad stubborn- they break too easily. I’m thinking of dropping this unit completely out of the list.

Tanks- I need to keep the tanks further back and use my superior range to greater benefit. In the last game, this really cost me, as my opponent made an 11 inch charge. I just was not expecting the wolves to be that fast.

Focus Fire- Keeping my priorities straight with my shooting was critical in each of games and allowed to have greater success than I probably should have had. Being able to take down a unit at a time and minimizing my opponents’ ability to deal with my armor was a huge deal in my first two games. I really learned what happens when I fail to do this properly in my last game.

Speed- This list is almost all defense and other than some foot slogging models- is NOT designed to move forward at all. I need to figure out another way to build this army where I can have a bit more for a mechanized army to it so I can properly move forward to take objectives when needed.

On the way home Loopy and I swung by Denny’s as it was about 12am and we were most hungry. About halfway through our misadventures at America’s Diner two very lost and rather confused American Revolutionary Troops marched in. This is how I know I’m back in New York State versus Arizona.

Grey Knights-
I was able to participate in a team tournament a few weeks ago as part of the ongoing narrative/ campaigns games that Loopy has been running through GrimFoe Games down in Albany, NY. I took some units from the new book and my team mate- Curtis ran Eldar centered on a Lynx Super Heavy.

Rules- We had to share a force organization chart. Whilst we originally lamented this- when I realized that I could full deep strike in- we were most ok with this rules stipulation. Super-Heavies from the BAO format were allowed. Standard missions were run with Tactical Objectives.

My 1k list-
Level 3 Librarian with a Storm Bolter and the Sacrifice Armor with a Sword (should have been a staff!)
Two units of 5x Terminators with psycannons and a mix of Halberds and 2x Hammers in each
Dread Knight with sword, flamer and teleporter
Dread Knight with flamer, psycannon and teleporter

Lessons learned- Deep striking is a huge risk! But man when it works- does it pay off! With the Grey Knights data-slate I can deep strike in on turn one and both shoot and move the turn I arrive. I tried this out in a narrative event for the Haven Battles- and had great success with flamers on the Terminators.

Deep striking in the Grey Knights provided our opponents with a tough meat shield that they had to push through before moving forward. This was tough when the Eldar guns knocked out the major threats quickly and gave me more freedom in the enemy’s face start off the game. The Dread Knight can punch out almost anything in close combat and being a character again means I can target those high risk models such as Nobz and Warboss’s early.

Deep striking allows you capitalize on a mistake an opponent made in deployment or inherent weaknesses starting almost turn one. Being able to run and shoot mitigates a lot of the problems with deep striking.

New list concept:
Cadian 317st Super Heavy Support Regiment- Astra Militarum with Grey Knights Allies
Fluff- Astra Militarum Support Regiment with Armor in support of a Super-Heavy (most likely my Shadow Sword). The army is meant to engage smaller targets and summarily protect the larger and vastly more critical Super Heavy tank. A small Mechanicus force (counts-as Grey Knights) is sent in to ensure that the tank is adequately supported, maintained and protected).

HQ-
Tank Commander Pask in a Vanquisher with hull mounted Lascannon, Multi-Meltas and a Heavy Stubber & a Leman Russ Battle Tank with Lascannon and Heavy Stubber in support
Level two Psyker
Ministorum Priest

Troops-
30x manned Blobbed Infantry Squad with 3x Lascannons and 3x Flame Throwers and each of the sergeants were equipped with melta bombs with 2x Vox Casters
1x Platoon Command Squad with Autocannon and Vox Caster
2x Veteran Squads with 2x Meltas and a flamer in a Chimera with a Flamer and Multi-laser

Heavy Support-
2x Wyvern Support Tanks

Allied Detachment-
Level 3 Librarian with Cuirass of Sacrifice and Force Staff

Terminator Squad-
One incinerator and all have hammers

Nemesis Dread Knight-
Heavy Incinerator, Psycannon and Personal Teleporter

1820/1850 points

General Strategy-
Use the guard elements to blow up and generally un-make anything that can do some hurting to the Grey Knights vanguard or the gun line (standard idea). Have the Grey Knights drop in and target key parts of the enemy army (psykers, tanks from rear armor- dug in troops, etc…). As the enemy is dealing with the Grey Knights; start to move up the Veterans in support with the Russ tanks. This is done as the blob squad in the rear captures objectives and generally holds the line.

Hobby Strategy-
I would use some of the Forge World units to represent the Grey Knights in this list to keep the Mechanicus theme going strong with the detachment. I would use some of the 30k models, including the big robot (same size as the DK!) and six of the tech priest looking dudes with axes to stand in for the Terminators. This would hopefully look amazing on a display board with maybe some attacking orks trying to push an Imperial position that is defending the Iron Saint (my Shadow Sword).

Again I’m not too competitive at times- and I certainly cannot roll dice well- so for events I want to go for painting and sportsmanship first and foremost if I’m going to try to go for the overall slot.

The list is still 30 points short tragically. Any suggestions or ideas for the list and the new direction I’m thinking of heading would be greatly appreciated. Also I hope to post some new hobby progress soon- as I have twenty guardsmen, the priest and the psyker nearly finished up.

As always thank you for your time,

-Skip

Return to “Imperial Guard”