Skip- The Cadian 317th- Round Two

Skip

Re: Skip- The Cadian 317th

Post by Skip » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am

lol thanks bud- I was going more for Chuck Norris as opposed to other references however!

I started building the next squad- I'll be sure to post up pictures as I wrap them up/ make more progress (I'll take a picture when the whole squad is fully built).

-Skip
Critic Review of my Painting:
Loopy wrote:I weep for the stars that were born and died to make the elements necessary to create the paint you smeared across your models.
Proud member of the fabled Team Battlepouch

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:16 pm

I hope to have a bit more progress over the coming few days, but we shall see! However, here is a quick post to give you all a tidbit of an update at the start of the month.

I have a quick picture of my latest progress:

I built up the next squad of Veteran Guardsmen and I have even started on my latest project... the Imperial Knight Titan.

Let me go through quickly my reasoning concerning the Imperial Guardsmen before I continue my painting adventures-

With the new Imperial Guard Codex thing due to be released soon, I have been trying to think about how to best approach my painting. A few years when I was starting work with my Grey Knights again (NMM!) and the codex was about to be dropped I remember having to tackle the same exact problem. Last time I ended up concentrating on core units that I felt I would end up using once the new book was dropped- I.E. focusing on Grey Knight Strike Squads and Terminators as opposed to looking at the more specialized units. This gave me a good start to my army when the new book finally dropped, and enabled me to get started playing faster with a fully painted army.

Fast forward a few years and I'm aiming to repeat the same strategy with the guard. The Veteran squads I'm running consist of 1x Autocannon, 2x Plasma guns, voc caster and a Grenade Launcher. For the lower points value, I figured this would give me a good diverse amount of fire power (and the re-roll...if you ever played me...you know I need it), with enough str 7 to ensure any big Monstrous Creature or lightly armored tank could be dealt with. My aim is to stick the two squads in Chimera transports and use them as a mobile fire base (very close to the Leaf-Blower styled list we all know and love).

I went through my collection of guard and I have very nearly forty more infantry left to paint here in the apartment atm, with another twenty five en route. I'll be painting up two Storm Trooper units (I'm unsure of the weapons load-outs, but one will have a plethora of melta guns), but the remaining infantry will be used as a larger "blob"-squad platoon. I'm considering sticking a flame thrower in each squad (and potentially three in the Platoon Command Squad!) for over-watch fun.

As far as my infantry is concerned I'm thinking of breaking it down as follows:

Company Command Squad

Veteran Squad- Long Range Fire Support (Chimera)
Veteran Squad- Long Range Fire Support (Chimera)

Veteran Squad- Melta Gun/ Demolitions (Vendetta)
Veteran Squad- Melta Gun/ Demonlition (Vendetta)

Orgryn Squad- Mechanicus Servitors (Conversion Idea)

Platoon Command Squad- Flame Throwers
Platoon Squad One- Flame Throwers
Platoon Squad Two- Flame Throwers
Platoon Squad Three- Flame Throwers

Heavy Weapons Platoon- Lascannons

This is a rough idea, but I think it's a rather even spread at least with the current codex. If you have any comments or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them (as list building is the weakest part of my hobby!)

Concerning the Knight Titan-

Since I have entered this hobby I have always wanted to own a Titan. When the new kit was released I saw my opportunity to finally own one of these awesome models- and I took it (well not literally...I paid for it). I have started the assembly on the kit, and I'll be making a short building tutorial with quickly and simply magnetizing the model for play-ability/ proper packing.

I've been agonizing over a potential paint scheme over the past few days and I think I'm going with a scheme very similar to the one in the picture above. I want to make this THE centerpiece to my overall Warhammer 40k Collection, so I'm going to be going over the top- much in the same way I did last year with my Shadowsword Super-Heavy tank. As far as a Knightly Order- I think I'm going to generate my own. I figure that there ought to be one or two households with close ties with the Inquisition out there.

I will be working on the Knight- Titan on and off as I work feverishly to complete the Imperial Guard infantry. So far all I have done are the legs and base built. I'll be posting pictures of the finished base hopefully next week. The base on this things is huge however...and there are many tiles to be painted...

Concerning the Challenge- This month my goal is complete the second veteran squad and begin making progress on both the third and final veteran squad (I have to clean these models of their most impure paint first!), and the Ogryn Squad. I'm delaying purposely my work on the Ogryn probably until next month because A- I don't have the bases yet (I cannot stress that problem enough lol) and B- I do not know how I will want to run them with the new codex.

The Knight-Titan will be added in during the second half of the challenge. At the moment I'm thinking of completing a couple of tanks and the Titan for the second half of the challenge.

I was very much hoping to get all of my guard done in one year of the painting challenge, but the more I think about the numbers that are before me- I'm starting to think that maybe- much like the Grey Knights- this army is going to be a two year project to get the entire collection I have amassed completed.

As always thank you all for your time and for your comments. I will be sure to post up further progress as I make it over the course of this month.

-Skip
Loopy wrote:I weep for the stars that were born and died to make the elements necessary to create the paint you smeared across your models.

Whitestagg

Post by Whitestagg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Wow, seems like you have really thought about this and done a lot of soul searching. The IG part of the list looks solid hopefully they wont change up things too much. For the knight, making your own house sounds cool, just don't go overboard with the fluff. Don't know how many times I've read someone's homebrew chapter master and had it be "he's T5, eternal warrior, FNP and it will not die with an AP 2 power sword artificer armor and storm shield. Boring.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Whitestagg wrote:Wow, seems like you have really thought about this and done a lot of soul searching. The IG part of the list looks solid hopefully they wont change up things too much. For the knight, making your own house sounds cool, just don't go overboard with the fluff. Don't know how many times I've read someone's homebrew chapter master and had it be "he's T5, eternal warrior, FNP and it will not die with an AP 2 power sword artificer armor and storm shield. Boring.
Thanks bud- whatever fluff I end up coming up with, I'll try to keep it a bit toned down like with the rest of the 317th regiment background. I was very much inspired by Loopy's Star Eagles chapter of Space Marines. His background stories added to the 40k universe and fit within the grim dark rather than try to replace it by talking about how awesome this one group is over everyone else. It was a good example of what good fluff and back story looks like.

Now that were a week into the month of April, I wanted to give a quick update to this project thread. I have gotten the base to the Knight-Titan nearly wrapped up and I have the second Veteran Squad about halfway done as well! A mighty Huzzah was heard by all!

Some quick pictures:

As for the progress on this squad- I have the main colors all wrapped up, including some of the major shading and basic base coats. I will be using a plethora of washes to get the details all picked out, then I will be re-layering the details and highlighting the models. I'm trying a few different things with my painting in attempt to learn how to paint a bit faster.

My previous 1k list had a lot of special weapons on the veteran squads as well as Marbo and a few things that I am on the fence with trying to work on given some of the more solidified rumors for the new Codex. I have a revised list below to match I think more of the reality of what is coming out soon:

Head Quarters-
Company Command Squad:
- Astropath, Master of the Ordnance & Officer of the Fleet
- 3x Flamers, Carapace Armor, Krak Grenades & Vox Caster

Elites-
Storm Troopers Squad:
- 10x Storm Troopers with two Melta Guns

Troops-
Veteran Squad One:
- 10x Veterans with Vox Caster, Autocannon & 2x Plasma Guns

Veteran Squad Two:
- 10x Veterans with Vox Caster, Autocannon & 2x Plasma Guns

Platoon Command Squad:
-3x Flamers & Vox Caster

Infantry Squad 1
-1x Grenade Launcher
Infantry Squad 2
-1x Grenade Launcher
Heavy Weapons Squad 1
-3x Lascannons
Heavy Weapons Squad 2
-3x Autocannons

Fast Attack-
Armored Sentinel
- 1x Model with Autocannon

1000/ 1000 points

My reasoning:
I believe that the list will provide a fantastic start to a growing Guard Army. It'll provide me with two veteran platoons with heavy and special weapons. My idea for these squads is that they will eventually be located in Chimeras as mobile bunkers (aka leaf-blower light). The two Command Groups have flame throwers based on several tacticas and battle reports I have read online- using the flamers for overwatch & counter attacking deep strikers. A few lists look like they max out on infantry with heavy weapons, then utilize the order system to maximize their fire against big monsters and flyers. The Storm Troopers can be easily swapped out in a different list as melta vets- which seems to be a classic combination at this point.

The overall idea is to provide a large number of infantry/ bodies on the board so I'll have an easier time when it comes to flesh out the rest of the army- also it has a lot of dakka. Good Dakka is important.

The Knight-Titan:
With my goal of making the model into a center-piece for my armies, I have decided to do something special with the base. I envisioned that the Knight would be striding through a ruined Church courtyard, attempting to take up position against an attacking enemy. As a result, the Titan has taken position on top of a short staircase that leads to a walkway to the ruined church (yes....I am coming up with a display board idea now). I looked at the image of the Emperor and Imperial Martyrs from the back of the Imperial Infantrymen's Handbook from Black Library and did my best to copy the image on the ruined floor. Granted the Emperor looks more like the Primarch of the Blood Angels- but I'll take it!

I still have to clean up some of the freehand mosaic a little bit as well as shade the stone work and make some more fixes. But the base itself is about halfway wrapped up! However, if you notice- there are helmets from Khorne worshiping Chaos Space Marines....I hate Chaos Space Marines...

Thank you all for your time and I hope to post some more information about my list progress & some more forward progress on my Imperial Guard models.

-Skip

Whitestagg

Post by Whitestagg » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 pm

That base is divinely inspired! The mosaic and painting are 60 proof awesome and using the struts horizontally as stairs...*starts 80s teen movie style slow group clap, like when they come to the final realization that they had a lot to learn from the plucky nerd or the shy girl*

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Whitestagg wrote:That base is divinely inspired! The mosaic and painting are 60 proof awesome and using the struts horizontally as stairs...*starts 80s teen movie style slow group clap, like when they come to the final realization that they had a lot to learn from the plucky nerd or the shy girl*
Thanks bud, that is high praise indeed! I hope that I can keep up the quality with the rest of the model! I tragically have not gotten any additional progress in with my Knight-Titan. Instead I have been focusing in on my infantry- trying to build up the core of my IG army.

I am happy to say that I have the next squad of Veteran Guardsmen wrapped up! That's 27 models wrapped up for the challenge so far. I'm painting at a good speed for me, seeing how last year I had ONLY 40 something models done at the end of the challenge! Granted I do feel a bit like I'm trying to dig way out of quick sand with the coming due date of the 1,000 point portion of the challenge. I simply do not believe that I can make the first due date- as I'm only about halfway done with the army as a whole. However, I do hope that this will give me an excellent start for the second half of the challenge. With the lowering prices of tanks, I'm looking forward to converting and painting several Leman Russ Battle Tanks.

The pictures:

The next squad...to be stripped then painted...

I will be working on the following for the remainder of the month and into next month:
1x Sergeant with a Close Combat Weapon
3x Flamers
5x Scions with 2x Melta Guns (I'm just touching them up- not part of the challenge)
10x Scions with 2x Melta Guns (For the Challenge)- Need to strip first
10x Imperial Guard Infantry- Need to strip first

I will continue to work on wrapping up the Knight-Titan base and building the model further. I will be magnetizing it/ making a short tutorial on how to simply magnetize the kit for gaming purposes. However, I do not believe that the Knight-Titan will be done for some time tragically- all good things in time I suppose.

The biggest problem I have run into so far is that I still lack the new Guard Codex. Once I get the new book I will be making up a new list and posting it on the front page of the thread here.

Building an Army:
When I was painting my Grey Knights I did build to a specific list or given army build. I created a list of what I owned and I used it as a checklist- working on individual models and units at a time- focusing on the models without thinking of using some of them in a game. While this was a most effective way to chart my hobby progress and get an Apocalypse sized force fully painted, I never really had the army that I wanted fully painted and ready to go.
Last fall I finally had figured out a semi-competitive list for the Grey Knights with the help of a local guy here in Yuma that I liked (and I felt good enough to use as it wasn't min-maxed/ was fun to play against!), but I ran out of steam with the GKs' with just a Storm Raven and a few infantry left to paint. One day...one day...

I miss that army so much... and their low model count armies...ok I really just miss the low model count!

With the Imperial Guard, I am hoping to learn from my past. I'm looking to build up all of the units of the army to a specific list long or build. The idea will be that I will be able to actually play games as I paint the army, versus paint instead of playing. Too often when I was working on the Grey Knights I would purposely side-line myself from games when I was working on a new project or something did not come out correct.

Potential Guard build?- As far as my overall concept for an army list- I'm thinking of running a good mix between infantry and heavy tanks. I am really looking at running a large infantry blob squad with autocannons behind an Aegis Defense line, with two or three veteran squads with lascannons, a few priest (I keep hearing good things- and now I'm really happy that I painted a few for my Grey Knights!) and a couple of Leman Russ tanks of various design. This means that this challenge will basically see me through the collecting and painting of the majority of the infantry for my Imperial Guard (I think it'll end up being over 60 infantry in just 1,000 pts!).

I will be updating the thread here with better pictures as I wrap up the next group of the Guard. I will also be writing up the next fluff piece/ part of the story.

As always thank you all for your time,

-Skip

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 pm

I weep for the stars that were born and died to make the elements necessary to create the paint you smeared across your models.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:18 pm

This is perhaps the nicest thing you have ever said concerning my feeble attempts at slapping paint to models.
I may even add it to my forum signatures.

I cannot wait to travel back home, over many thousands of miles to have the verbal abuse continue. :D

-Skip

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:16 pm

First off, I wanted to apologize for the pictures. For some reason on Apple devices the photos like to flip upside down- I'm still unaware of why it does that. However, I will start to take photos with a new digital camera that I have here. Hopefully that will resolve the problems that I am experiencing with the iphone.

I have been looking a series of lists and games online and I have seen a few tricks/ things that keep coming up in a variety of lists. One almost constant of these lists seems to be the Old Man from Armageddon...Yarrick. I really like the model's rules and what it can do for a guard-gun line army or even a mixed list with tanks (something that I want to eventually go for). However, I did not want to use the Yarrick model himself as it would be sort of random given the fluff that I have written for the Imperial Guard army. I was inspired by Loopy's Star Eagles fan dex', where he went through and used the different named characters in the Space Marine book to symbolize different company leaders.

My original conversion idea...

Thus, I set out to convert my own Commissar Yarrick from what models that I currently owned. I eventually settled on the Baneblade commander model. The model looks commanding and seems to be a position of authority. I liked the idea of the sword arm as it seems that the commander is pointing out what needs to get focused fired, or leading the troopers forward. For the power klaw I used a power fist from the new stern guard kit, and a few purity seals and accessory bits from the Grey Knights sprue. This includes several relics and an Inquisition symbol. I also wanted to include the servo skull (explain the laser eye, or perhaps it throws itself in the way of coming fire with a small shield generator built inside).

Pictures of the assembled model:

I have a ton of work to push through over the next few weeks as the end of the school year is fast approaching. However, I hope to make some progress soon with the army as a whole. Furthermore, once I get the new codex in my sweaty hands (it has been 100 degrees already here!) I'll post up a few list concepts and potential builds for 1850pts, but more importantly I'll have the 1,000 point army list finally posted again! (Woot)

Tragically I already know that going home- I will not have a fully painted Guard army...but I will have it fully built!

As always thank you for your time,
-Skip

Skip

Re: Skip- The Cadian 317th (April Done)

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Be sure to read the sign Loopy: :D

Starting out this weekend I was able to get a bit of work done most quickly and I suddenly found myself with a slight abundance of this thing known as free time. Not knowing what to do initially I started to do more work, when I eventually realized I could be painting. I then started to paint a little bit in the wee hours of this morning.

I have managed to get the following models completed:
Yarrick Conversion- Completed
3x Flame Throwers- Completed
10x Karsakins: Touch up/ repaint some of the details- Completed:
1x Sergeant- Completed

The pictures:
The overall picture-

Yarrick Conversion-

On my Hobby Desk-

Current Thoughts:
I pulled out some of my Grey Knights models that I had painted last year, namely the psykers and the priests. I'm way to happy that I have painted those models last year so I can quickly incorporate now into my overall force. If I count in these older models- I have over 40 models painted up for my Astra Militarum force. That is insane and I am very happy to be pushing through the infantry section of the army as quickly as I am.

What is next?:
I still lack the new codex most tragically so I have not finalized any lists. I have a TON of ideas, but I have not finalized anything unfortunately. List building is the weakest part of the hobby for me, so I assure you that you will see a string of tragically sad army lists. When you see them, please do your best not to laugh and not to mock me too badly...I'm a person that couldn't even figure out a competitive Grey Knights list in 5th edition... I expect the same inability to be a problem now in 6th with the IG.

Concerning painting- I have two big squads of guardsmen left to paint as well as a few more Scions/ Karsakins models. Once I get those models wrapped up, I'll have a few extra models with lasguns to replace some of the special weapons that I currently have/ vise versa- so I'll have a bit of versatility with my list already (which is awesome). I've been really pushing hard with the infantry lately and I am really looking forward to getting these models wrapped up as I would really like to work on my tanks. However, I firmly understand that if I start working on my tanks and Knight-Titan in earnest.... I will never paint another guardsmen.

My goal for the next month is to complete at least one of the two guardsmen infantry squads- which will be a bit of a stretch, but I really hope to get them completed quickly.

As always thank you for your time,
-Skip

Return to “Imperial Guard”