Mills' HPC 2014: Saim Hann Wild Rider Host - Army Complete

Forum rules
Mills

Mills' HPC 2014: Saim Hann Wild Rider Host - Army Complete

Postby Mills » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 am

Hey, finally getting myself lined up for this after missing out on entering last year (had two armies on the go at the same time, so did not really fit in).

I am just in the process of looking out a bunch of my old Eldar models and buying new ones with an eye to building a Saim-Hann force, the intent of the army is to have something that can compete competitively, but also something that can be in contention for best painted army at tournaments. I have been lucky enough to have a few wins and nominations at tournaments in the UK (with Imperial Fists), and this has spurred me on to do something even better this time.

I have been trying to learn a new technique/ style with my last few armies, and this time I want to get on top of airbrushing for highlighting vehicles. I have used my airbrush so far for basic highlighting on my previous army (Traitor Guard), but with the lines of an Eldar army it will really allow me/ force me to push this skill.

This list has been updated partway through the challenge.

So without further ado, the ZM army list:
Farseer on jetbike (completed)
Farseer on jetbike (completed)
2 Warlocks (completed, February commitment)
5 Fire Dragons (completed, February commitment)

3 Windrider Guardians (completed, April commitment)
3 Windrider Guardians (completed)
Vyper (completed)
10 Guardian Defenders (completed, March commitment)
10 Guardian Defenders (completed, June commitment)
9 Warp Spiders (completed, May commitment)

Which comes in with wargear at 998 points.

The second batch of the army, up to 2000 is planned as follows::
Wave Serpent (completed, July commitment)
Wave Serpent (completed)
3 Windrider Guardians (completed, November commitment)
Crimson Hunter (completed, October commitment)
2 Vypers (completed)
Night Spinner (completed, August commitment)
Lynx (completed, September commitment)

In addition I am wanting to paint up another Serpent, another Night Spinner, a 4th unit of Jetbikes a Bonesinger and a Warp Hunter, this should allow me the pick of the units I want when playing, I may show these, but outside of the challenge.

Most of the time I will expecting to only be playing 1650-1850 depending on the tournament, so the final list is somewhere in the middle of the two. I have also got some stuff over and above the 2000 points, so will throw extra in from time to time.

Now for me, the added complexity is that I am currently based in West Africa for work purposes, now, I have paints, toy soldiers and all my hobby stuff out with me, but in the event I need something I have to wait till I go back home (UK) to get stuff. Also while this is totally off-topic, it is off-putting seeing an elephant out of your window while painting.

Test models, commitments and conversion plans will follow.
Last edited by Mills on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:36 am, edited 23 times in total.
2014: Saim Hann painting project viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6450
2016: White Scars painting project viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8749&p=114415#p114415

Mills

Re: Mills' HPC 2014: Saim Hann Wild Rider Host

Postby Mills » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:31 am

OK, first commitment, while I am still working out the jetbike conversions I wish to do I am going to concentrate on infantry, I have 2 Guardian Squads, a Fire Dragon squad, Warlocks and a Warp Spider squad primed, but to ease in to month 1 I will only commit to painting the Fire Dragons and the 2 Warlocks

Mills

Postby Mills » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Photo of my first commitment, note editing this as the upload from Photobucket is being difficult

Really loving the bright finish from the Vallejo model air scarlet over a white undercoat.

Mills

Postby Mills » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:32 pm

OK, wanting to share two test models, the one below is a basic Guardian and will be what I am going to do with the main bulk of the non-aspect infantry and bikers. I am using the GW red scheme just now, over a Vallejo Scarlet Red base on a white undercoat. The final highlight is Wild Rider Red, which in the flesh (plastic) looks like a nice subtle highlight which I am happy with, but is a bit washed out in the photo:

Also I have painted the first of my Fire Dragons, using the same technique as the Guardian, but highlighting two further levels of brightness, taking the scarlet to a muted orange, both models have had their undersuit left the deepest red, happy with him, though I don't think I will be using the Dragons in my standard lists at 16-1850:

Loopy
IC Staff

Postby Loopy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Love me some painted Fire Dragons. The colors are perfect from the main color down to the strategic white details and the perfect metallic for the gun. Keep at it!

cicero

Postby cicero » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Very "classic" look that suits these vintage models perfectly! Very good so far, can't wait to see the jetbikes.
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:09 pm

First unit of the HPC finished, now feel like I am off the leash now and can relax:

I know I showed the Exarch in the original photo, but he won't be in the army, was just spraying him at the same time and had the test model being worked on.

Still working on the Warlocks for the first month commitment:

Need to get the white perfect on these guys and do a little more splash colour to break up the reds. Not sure if I want to detail the robes with any designs yet.

Think the weekend will be spent looking at mixing the Dark Eldar and Eldar jetbike kits together

Mills

Postby Mills » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:15 am

Ok, feeling good, the Warlocks are now finished so I have completed my Feb painting commitment:

These old Jes Goodwin models are so, so fun to paint, after my last force, which had a lot of FW traitor guard in it, it is really nice to paint clean, simple lines.

Also I have put together my test model for the jetbikes for the Wild Riders, pretty much a 50/50 of Eldar and Dark Eldar bikes, think I will keep this design, I will post assembly instructions in the future, though most people should be able to work it out fairly simply.

I will decide on my March commitment in the next few days.

Yamagata

Postby Yamagata » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Very nice, simple but effective take on the jetbike! I really don't like the look of the original eldar bikes, although jetbikes and Eldar go soo well together. I for myself simple allied dark eldar in and use their bikes...sometimes as Dark Eldar ones, sometimes as Eldar stand-ins.
But this looks really good. Can't wait to see them painted!

Loopy
IC Staff

Postby Loopy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm

You've got some nice work there. Sweet. I love the Wraithbone swords. Those are cool as hell. Everything is beautiful, actually. This is gonna be a treat when it's all done.

Return to “Eldar”