Incarnet - Dark Eldar

Evil Space Elves

Re: Incarnet - Dark Eldar

Post by Evil Space Elves » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:07 am

Incarnet wrote:Thanks to the Spruehammer Anniversary Sale reinforcements have arrived!

This pic is conjuring a 70/30 mixture of nerdgasm/painting anxiety :lol:
Nice haul!
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:50 pm

I have not had much free time lately so ended up turning my attention towards improving my paint set up. Step 1 was improving my paint storage so I went ahead and built myself a little bookshelf style paint rack. This particular one holds 48 dropper bottle paints at a 10 degree angle and is a rather slim profile at 13" x 4" and just under 7" tall.

It's larger brother will be along some time this week and then it will be time to paint both.

Overall I am rather happy with the project as it was fairly cost effective and holds a very reasonable amount of paints. Next step after that will be to clean, prime, and then paint the bottle caps so I will not only be able to see what color is where but to know how they will show over my primer.

Starminer

Post by Starminer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Looks good. I want to do something like that. Did you make plans for it that you could share?

I do the same with painting my paint bottle tops for the same reason.

In the meantime, you can turn the bottles the other way round to see the colour out of the bottoms and more easily see the colours at a glance.
Cheers,
Starminer

Personal Blog: Caution: Bonds Skin Instantly
A40K Webzine: Apocrypha 40,000

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:19 pm

I was actually inspired by a video on YouTube (http://youtu.be/z7aAfR-hy3Y) the person that filmed it made a fairly simple and perfectly servicable version. The main changes I added were angled dado slots for the shelves and a base for stability.

His version could be made with a circular saw (technically my version could be as well but it would take some doing).

What sort of tools do you have access to?

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 pm

The larger version has been completed. It holds 240 Vallejo style paints and is 27" tall 14" wide and 4" deep (counting the base, the shelves are 12" wide + 1/2" sides and are 2" deep). The larger version should have been given a more substantial base as it poses a slight tipping hazard if not placed against a wall (or in my case a bookshelf). I also used the stain I had availible (a big mistake!) so I am still considering stripping and refinishing them both but all in all they came out reasonably well, especially for a total amateur with the table saw.

The total cost of the project (not counting tools of course) was probably around $50 for both of them with some wood left to spare and I am sure I could have done it cheaper if I had used manufactured wood instead of plywood (or if I had shopped around for the wood).

Starminer

Post by Starminer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Incarnet wrote:What sort of tools do you have access to?
Have some power tools and a miter circular saw.
Cheers,
Starminer

Personal Blog: Caution: Bonds Skin Instantly
A40K Webzine: Apocrypha 40,000

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:18 pm

If I was going to do it with a circular saw I would keep the same basic case design but instead of angled dado slots I would use the circular saw to cut a 10 degree angle onto the rear of the individual shelves and glue them in.

If that sounds reasonable I can give you some basic design notes to work from.

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Sun May 18, 2014 10:41 pm

After some long thought I have decided to officially put my Dark Eldar on hold until after 7th has been out for a while. I have no intention of leaving the game but I want to play in all phases of the game and without allies that seems to not be possible for Dark Eldar.

I still intend to assemble and paint them but at an even slower pace with higher standards (not that I had been making much progress anyways....)

Inquisitor Valeria

Post by Inquisitor Valeria » Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Eh. I mean... I hear ya, but it's not just us that are out in the cold as far as psychic powers are concerned. There have to be SOME kind of stipulations for non-psychic peeps. Just take Malys in a mega-unit and tell the opponent they don't get to haz psychic powers either. lol.

And there's a haemonculus on the cover of the new rulebook. A haemonculus. Just... consider the implications that might have in regards to significance in the game that DE are soon to have. =P Just sayin.
Survival is no birthright, but a prize wrested from an uncaring galaxy by forgotten heroes. Study the alien, the better to kill it.
HPC 2015: Chortoicetes ......... HPC 2013: Cotton Candy Kabal

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Mon May 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Sadly, I fear Games Workshop's stipulation may just be "take allies" (something I am loathe to do, not GWs problem or fault, simply a choice I prefer to hold to) but I still remain hopeful there is something more. A member of the forums mentioned that in Fantasy the armies with no magic were hard to cast against, so far the rules leaks have not borne that out for 40k but we have only seen a tiny percentage of the rules.

Given the cost of the game I would rather avoid nerd rage by waiting to see what is going on ratger than continue to invest. The models I already have I intend to keep and complete but not at a pace for the challange (which I had not been meeting anyways to be fair).

Return to “Dark Eldar”