Sadists March - DE coven

Threx

Re: Sadists March - DE coven

Post by Threx » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 am

I took inspiration from lucky no5/the eye of error. A great dark eldar craftsmen. The idea was to keep the grotesque looking similar to the wracks but a bigger more intimidating version for army cohesion. So the base model was from privateer press the warspear's of blight. They came in kits of 5 which in all fairness made more sense financially, as the gw model was single pose and 15.50 a piece. I wasn't keen on 10 units looking the same so used 2 kits and used green stuff and left overs from a few talos kits for weapons and kits from several other kits such as Venoms etc.

I thought the end look was amazing I hope you agree

Threx

Post by Threx » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:27 am

Ok so my Feb pledge is all ready for paint now.

Recently converted Grots

Group shot waiting for the brush in Feb. Not going to lie I'm pretty eager :D

Now It's just a case of waiting for the challenge to start proper. Might make myself some pain tokens while i wait :D

Kevin_John

Post by Kevin_John » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Love the Grots!
I remember seeing this idea on Eye of Errors blog. Can't wait to see them painted.
"Superior technology does not guarantee victory unless wielded by a superior being"
ImageImageImage

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:01 pm

I keep thinking, "wow, those are pretty huge to be grots!" LOL

FWIW, I like the chain modeled up feather than down. You may need to magnetize the arm

Threx

Post by Threx » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:33 am

Kevin_John wrote:Love the Grots!
I remember seeing this idea on Eye of Errors blog. Can't wait to see them painted.
Yeah I lifted the idea from him. I tried not to copy to much and this was my first green stuff project. So hope it looks good. I've not tried to get amazing solo photos as you can't see much with the black primer. I'll put up better ones as the painting gets under way.
Loopy wrote:I keep thinking, "wow, those are pretty huge to be grots!" LOL

FWIW, I like the chain modeled up feather than down. You may need to magnetize the arm
The Grots are a pretty big unit on the table to be fair but in comparison to the gw grot it's very close size wise. They match up rather well to a wrack imo.

As for the chain i abandoned that idea. I wasn't sure it was worth the effort for a sub par looking weapons, feel it would have taken to much chopping and sticking to get the look I wanted.

Evil Space Elves

Post by Evil Space Elves » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:54 am

Really well done on the grotesques, especially loving the one with the 4 trophy racks coming out of its back! Looking forward to seeing this project go through.
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

cicero

Post by cicero » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 am

Threx wrote:

The Grots are a pretty big unit on the table to be fair but in comparison to the gw grot it's very close size wise. They match up rather well to a wrack imo.
I am pretty sure loopy is being funny like normal and when he says "grots" he means ork gretchin which are the traditional owners of that nickname.

I think your Grotesques are perfect! Really top notch work, I am inspired to work on mine, so much so that I think I will prime my talos this afternoon. I don't think I can hold off on getting started either!
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Threx

Post by Threx » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:02 am

Evil Space Elves wrote:Really well done on the grotesques, especially loving the one with the 4 trophy racks coming out of its back! Looking forward to seeing this project go through.
Thanks very much. Strange to see you posting outside the dark city. Your all over that place haha.
cicero wrote:
Threx wrote:

I am pretty sure loopy is being funny like normal and when he says "grots" he means ork gretchin which are the traditional owners of that nickname.

I think your Grotesques are perfect! Really top notch work, I am inspired to work on mine, so much so that I think I will prime my talos this afternoon. I don't think I can hold off on getting started either!
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Glad you like them, let's just hope you guys still enjoy them when they're paited

Evil Space Elves

Post by Evil Space Elves » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Threx wrote:
Evil Space Elves wrote:Really well done on the grotesques, especially loving the one with the 4 trophy racks coming out of its back! Looking forward to seeing this project go through.
Thanks very much. Strange to see you posting outside the dark city. Your all over that place haha.
I have to get out of there from time to time :lol:
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

Thade

Post by Thade » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Love the grotesques! I was thinking of converting some from rat ogres, but I think yours are even better. Can't wait to see them painted up.

Return to “Dark Eldar”