Cicero - Kabal of the Charred Skull - Apr Complete :D

Evil Space Elves

Re: Cicero - Kabal of the Charred Skull - Retro Fandango

Post by Evil Space Elves » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 am

I would move the avatar a bit closer to the center of the base. The model is slightly smaller than the 60mm base would call for scale wise, and the gap in the middle of the base exaggerates that effect.

Is the action sequence over the top? Hell no!

I wish that I was remotely excited about the hockey game this morning.......damned US team :evil:
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

CrayolaSmoker

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:49 am

Looking at the pose of the Avatar, in particular his blade, I think the action of the fallen marine would sell more if the marine were cleaved in two, both sides crashing into the ground. Or, if you're up for it, putting half the marine in his left hand, maybe held by a leg, entrails dripping down, while his torso crashes into the ground, still firing.

Or the marine standing, firing futily in terror at the Avatar's implacable advance works too.

Mills

Post by Mills » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 pm

I personally am not always convinced by "in motion" shots of things that the main model is interacting with.

I have seen nice debris in the past (such as being punched out of the way by monstrous creatures/ dreadnoughts), but it is the exception rather than the rule, I think it is something to do for me, with the suspension of disbelief, having some rocks, or a marine hanging all game. I was quite enamored with the dying marine just shooting up at the Avatar, with it coolly walking by.

Also having seen your base style already, it would be cool if you add heat patina/ melted floor where the Avatar is walking/ has walked.
2014: Saim Hann painting project viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6450
2016: White Scars painting project viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8749&p=114415#p114415

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Nice work! I really need to learn how to cast the stuff I create!

Primebeef

Post by Primebeef » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 pm

I am officially inspired. I was thinking about getting into casting, now there's no turning back. Next stop Hobby Lobby. I think you are a well rounded hobbyist and can handle yourself in ring. Awesome minis, looking forward to seeing your army pan out.

994trevork

Post by 994trevork » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:17 pm

I love this Avatar of Kaine model. Did you buy the Couldron of Blood set, or were you able to find the just the avatar for cheap? I think it would be awesome to use the medusa in set as a Slaanesh Daemon Prince Too :-).

Love all of the bases you do too. Keep up the great job!!

cicero

Post by cicero » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 am

Thanks guys, seeing your comments keeps me working! I have base coated my wyches, but I will have to buy some new paint as kislev flesh is too yellow and turns green mixed with Russ grey...

@primebeef: sometimes with some of the EPIC hobbyists and painters that hang out on these boards I feel a bit like Rocky trying to go three rounds against Apollo Creed, but it is inspiring to look around and see great stuff like yours!

@Trevork: the avatar was ebayed for $18 but I had to wait out 9 days of auctions and battle a sniper at the very end! Keep your eyes open and you can certainly pick it up for cheap. That medusa is extremely cool as well though...

Silicone mold making is a lot of fun, though the supplies are expensive or hard to come by up here in Canada. My roommate is going to Kentucky next week for business so he has used his amazon prime account to snag me a few more boxes. :)
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

hawkespur
WoW character level: 0

Post by hawkespur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 am

Wicked awesome work so far! I like the color choices. The old school incubi models look hella rad!
instagram = @messhallcook

cicero

Post by cicero » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Just working on a couple of archon models. The first is the new kit which is delicate and gorgeous, but may be "too good for this world" and relegated to a "my house only" model. Luckily though, I also have this guy.

These will be fun to paint next time I have my airbush out!
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Inquisitor Valeria

Post by Inquisitor Valeria » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:41 pm

For you see... this is no mere "fire" in my hand. "Fire" does not do it justice. It will soak into your soul and fill all the little cracks and crevices with loathing and hate for everything you know, everything you've ever known... then rush from you like the blood you are already spilling. It will take even the hate away and leave an emptiness. An emptiness your puny mind will struggle to fill to utter exhaustion. You will be consumed, yes, but not by "fire." Not by something nearly so petty. I will keep your very essence in a jar and soak in the flickering warmth as it releases all that is "you" ... to me. And when there is no more. When there is nothing left but a husk withered and dried and dusty as absent of spirit as this worthless, dusty rock beneath your failing knees... my haemonculus will find some use for it, I assure you.

Oooohhhh.... you gotta unleash that top guy on someone. He needs to raid. You can see it in his eyes.
Survival is no birthright, but a prize wrested from an uncaring galaxy by forgotten heroes. Study the alien, the better to kill it.
HPC 2015: Chortoicetes ......... HPC 2013: Cotton Candy Kabal

Return to “Dark Eldar”