HPC 2017 - Prodigalson's War Against Grey Plastic

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
Prodigalson

HPC 2017 - Prodigalson's War Against Grey Plastic

Post by Prodigalson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 am

So for the last two years I have primarily worked on my Iron Warriors to create a Horus Heresy force and a 40K force. That project was a success. I currently have a huge army and the only unpainted stuff I have for it is a 10 man resin Mark 3 armor squad that I want to keep that way until I have a good idea of what to do with them.

I am not sure if there is even going to be a HPC this year with the normal rules, but I really want to finish the War Against Grey Plastic. I will be doing this concurrently with one Hour a Night, but the monthly and the Year challenge.

So, unlike last year, this year is not about a new army. I own large amounts of Tau, Iron Warriors, Dark Eldar (Harlequin allies), and an old Dark Angels army. This year is about going into my plastic crack that I already own and just painting the things I have. While I may have purchases throughout the year, the goal is to paint up most everything that has been sitting in a box for years and needs updates. So, for that purpose, I have listed them below. I am currently painting a Harlequin Troup (6 models) plus Shadowseer and Deathjester. After that I am painting an Iron Warriors bike squadron for the Warband formation. Hopefully both shall be completed in the month of January so that I can start on the items below throughout the year. I have no schedule about units, and I may have things pop in from time to time. I don't know if I will get full points this year for things, as I am not painting a single army. The Points are for the HPC yearly challenge. Some of the stuff I have already has some paint on it, so it will not qualify for that challenge.

This is a mixture of some Harlequins, a small amount of Iron Warriors and a LOT of Dark Angels successor chapter the Angels of Perdition. They have been in storage for years and I have slowly picked up random marine winnings from tournaments. The army needs an update for 7th/8th edition so that will be the focus of the year, getting them updated, rebased and finishing off the 5th Company of them and most of the my Demi-Company of the 1st Company. I have no idea what is coming out for the year however, so if something comes out for my Tau/Dark Eldar or Iron Warriors I will buy some new things. I am trying again this year to paint>more then purchase. I will be going this weekend to take photos of the things and seeing what else needs to be painted. I anticipate that the list will increase once I have done a full inventory.

Hobby Goal Currently Owned Points/Month
Harlequin Troupe Plus Shadows and Deathjester Yes 0/January
Chaos Bikes Yes 5/January
Rebase 70 Painted Marines Yes 0/All Year
TableWar Bases Painted Tau/Marines Yes/No 0/All Year(HPC)
10 Assault Marines on Foot Yes(Need HH bodies) 10/Unknown
10 Tactical Marines on Foot Yes 10/Unknown
10 Tactical Marines on Foot Yes 10/Unknown
Razorback Yes 5/Unknown
Drop Pod Yes 5/Unknown
Drop Pod No 0/Unknown
Dark Talon Yes 5/Unknown
Nephilim Jet Fighter Yes 5/Unknown
Harlequin Troup Plus
Shadowseer, Deathjester and Solitare Yes 9/Unknown
Harlequin Skyweaver Jet Bikes Yes 4/Unknown
Starweaver/Voidreaver Yes 5/Unknown
Dark Angels Chaplain Admodai Yes 1/Unknown
Dark Angels Grand Master Belial Yes 1/Unknown
10 Deathwing Knights Yes 10/Unknown
5 Deathwing Command Squad Yes 5/Unknown
Dark Angel Bikes (3) Yes 3/Unknown
Knight Titan (2) Yes 20/Unknown
Fortress of Redemption Yes 10/Unknown
Land Raiders Partially Painted(2) Yes 0/Unknown
Dark Angels Tactical Squad (Convert To HH) Yes 10/Unknown
Dark Angels Chaplain (Convert to HH) Yes 1/Unknown
Dark Angels Praetor (Convert to HH) Yes 1/Unknown
Dark Angels Librarian (Convert HH) Yes 1/Unknown
Dark Angel Scouts Partially Painted (Snipers) Yes Unknown Number
Dark Angels Command Squad Yes 5/Unknown
Bloodbowl Orcs Yes 12/Unknown
Bloodbowl Humans Yes 12/Unknown

Additional Purchases:
100 32 MM Bases
3 TableWar Bases for 32mm models (Contains 12 models)
2 Inset bases for the 32mm models that go in stuff I already own.
The Triumvirate of Ynead
20 Hellions

Number of Purchased Models in 2017: 43
(20 Space Marines won at a tournament) (20 Hellions) (1 Bloodbowl Ogre
Number of Models Painted in 2017: 20
Models Painted
Harlequin Troupe (6)
Shadowseer (1)
Deathjester (1)
Human Blood Bowl Team (12)
Last edited by Prodigalson on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

IntotheGloam

Re: HPC 2017 - Prodigalson's War Against Grey Plastic

Post by IntotheGloam » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Good luck with your war! I look forward to seeing some photos and updates ;)

Prodigalson

Post by Prodigalson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks!

I don't think I had realized quite the project that I had bitten off until I wrote it down. If I can finish 100 pts (in the One Hour a Night/HPC yearly challenge) I will be pretty excited. I'm also afraid of what else may come out this year that I have to purchase!

EverRaven

Post by EverRaven » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:57 am

You've inspired me to take an inventory of everything I have - just so I know how big Everest really is. And I think I'll just ignore the boxes of Reaper Bones minis under the table ;) Well, except the clockwork dragon. He very much needs to be painted soon...

Crazy_Irish

Post by Crazy_Irish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Good luck with your challenge/war! This is pretty much what I have been thinking about, finishing up what I have laying around here. Looking forward to your progress! Especially those 'quins!

Prodigalson

Post by Prodigalson » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:09 am

So, I went ahead and reorganized my storage at the house yesterday and took some photos of the stuff to work on.

I also went ahead and purchased the following:
100 32mm bases from GW
Tabelwar Bases so put about 60 marines in (most likely 3 tacticals/1 assault/1 heavy/1command squad and Chaplain Michael, Master Gaius Martel and Librarian Raziel.

Also, It appears there may be some eldar coming, and if they do I may buy some of those, but trying to stick with what I have as long as possible.

Here is the stuff to paint. There is more then what is below, but this would be enough!

Prodigalson

Post by Prodigalson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:25 am

So... updating as we go finally. It's the first of March now.

I finished my first group of Harlequins and am pretty proud of them (January)

Then I finished my blood bowl team (February).

I have also been working on the Triumvirate of Ynead as well.(not finished yet!)

Sadly... I made more hobby purchases... 20 hellions that I will paint at some point.

blockade23

Post by blockade23 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:47 pm

How goes the war against Grey Plastic - I'm in a similar boat, but buying terrain and scenery keeps sending me back over the edge! Oops!

Miniature wise, I'm 69-1 built and painted 69, only bought 1 (Arhiman, couldn't resist that lovely new sculpt)
HPC-2016

Wisdom Hunters Warband & Renegades!
4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM
Deathwatch Haltmoat Force Quartus

Record 2017 - 11/8/2
Acquired 2017:11 Painted: 108
Last Acquired: Cultists
Last Painted: Skeletons
WIP: Scenery (I Have a problem(?)

Return to “Painting & Modeling”