HPC 2016 Armageddon Steel Legion

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
Phase

HPC 2016 Armageddon Steel Legion

Post by Phase » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:45 am

Third time’s a charm, right?

Having started this challenge previously, I’d often get sidetracked or life would get in the way - this year however I’m attacking my unpainted miniatures with more spare time, and a better sense of scale.

Over the last year I took some time to find out what elements of the Imperial Guard really appealed to me. They were my first 40k army 15 years ago, and even though I left and have now returned to the hobby, they were always my army of choice. One of the best experiences of my gaming career was being a part of the Battle for Armageddon global campaign, way back the summer of 2000. While I played Catachans then, I always lusted over the Steel Legion, and so today with the funds to actually build an army, I’m bringing back my nostalgia and excitement for what I think is one of the most interesting and dynamic regiments in the Guard. (here’s something cool, the campaign site got saved:
http://web.archive.org/web/200210172155 ... gn_map.asp)

The steel legion are an almost entirely mechanized force, rolling out of the hive cities of Armageddon, a planet still at war with the green skins. They rely on the relative safety of Chimeras and Taurox to travel across the vast ash wastes and ruins from the 3rd war, and espouse fast movement tactics.

I haven’t played the game for many years, so my army isn’t really reflective of a competitive force, (I don’t think) but rather something that’s representative of the spirit of the Steel Legion (back when I played I guess we called it fluffy?). I want to mechanize as many of the units as possible, leaving behind options that don’t suit the flavour of a fast moving, agile force. So that means lots of Chimeras, Taurox and Sentinels, with relatively few heavy vehicles like Leman Russ’. It also means missing out on units that can’t take a dedicated transport, like ratlings and conscripts. Also, all open topped vehicles will be enclosed, and modeled to show it. (Armageddon pattern basilisks from Forge World, etc)

With the exception of a Valkyrie and some Basilisks, I’ve got all the other miniatures, so the task of painting and assembly awaits.

The Army, as of the end of March

I also worked on getting the vehicle coloring right, and managed to order 3 pots of Rotting Flesh, because no matter what they tell you, the replacements just aren’t quite right.

I ended up going with the top option.

I’ve broken down the months as to keep myself motivated and on task (March is light as I have to travel interstate for a week long music festival!)

Painting Schedule [Completed Month Images will go here]:

Legend:
Complete
Work in Progress
Upcoming

Feb

2 steel legion squads
2 Chimeras

Mar
3 Chimeras, 1 Hellhound, 1 Platoon Command, 1 Infantry squad

March Part 2 - 1 Command Squad, 1 Veterans Squad, 2 Chimeras, 1 Enginseer

Apr

3 Leman Russ tanks
6 Wyrdvane Psykers
1 chimera
3 Sentinels

May

Valkyrie x1
Vendetta x2
10 Stormtroopers

Jun
Vendetta x 2
1 deathstrike
Manticores x 2

Jul
Leman Russ x 3
Platoon command squad
Infantry squad
Leman Russ laser destroyer

Aug
Infantry squad x 2
Chimera x 5
Medusa x 1

Sep
Hydra / Wyvern x 3
Infantry squad x 1
Veteran squad & spares
2 Chimeras

Oct
Tech Priest enginseer x 2
Servitors x 4?
Yarrick
Culexus Assassin
Hell hounds x 2

Nov
Something Very Special

Thanks for reading through, I'm looking forward to filling this thread up with lots of images!
Last edited by Phase on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 am, edited 14 times in total.
Armageddon Hive City council member 2016

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8664

Prodigalson

Re: HPC 2016 Armageddon Steel Legion

Post by Prodigalson » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:21 am

Those completed guys are looking great already man! Good to see a themed army with a solid background. Those would be a pleasure to play against!

cicero

Post by cicero » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks Comissar Spacey.

Looks great man can't wait to see the legion advance.
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

blockade23

Post by blockade23 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Love the tank weathering. For my Steel Legion I wanted some variation in the soldiers, so I ended up mixing in a few of Anvil Industries Unity Council Troopers (with the long trenchcoats) When painted the same way, they look pretty similar too (And happen to be a crud ton cheaper, plus giving you a good flame/melta trooper as well).
HPC-2016

Wisdom Hunters Warband & Renegades!
4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM
Deathwatch Haltmoat Force Quartus

Record 2017 - 11/8/2
Acquired 2017:11 Painted: 108
Last Acquired: Cultists
Last Painted: Skeletons
WIP: Scenery (I Have a problem(?)

Phase

Post by Phase » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 am

cicero wrote:Thanks Comissar Spacey.

Looks great man can't wait to see the legion advance.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to finally having a painted army not from the early 2000's :lol:
blockade23 wrote:
(And happen to be a crud ton cheaper, plus giving you a good flame/melta trooper as well).

God tell me about it - going to need to do some serious choppin' to get those special weapons happening.
Prodigalson wrote: Good to see a themed army with a solid background. Those would be a pleasure to play against!
I guess that's the idea! I love seeing two well created armies face off - beats the grey plastic massacres right?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8664

Phase

Post by Phase » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:44 am

February's looking good, spent some time getting the first 2 squads based and cleaned, and the first two Chimeras.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8664

FrazUK

Post by FrazUK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:50 am

Great-looking weathering effects Phase, good luck with this year.
HPC2016 - Sons of Horus: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8653
HPC2015 - Iron Hands and Skitarii(w/Knight): viewtopic.php?t=8388

DK6

Post by DK6 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:46 pm

Can't wait to see this completed army. Your plan is already aggressive; far exceeding the minimum each month.

Phase

Post by Phase » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:14 am

DK6 wrote:Can't wait to see this completed army. Your plan is already aggressive; far exceeding the minimum each month.
Thanks! Only way to get a lot of Guardsman painted is to grin and bear it, I think!

Not much time for Hobby tonight unfortunately, but I got some lads into the spray booth.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8664

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am

I am extremely fond of these Armageddon models and you're doing a great job with them. Looking forward to seeing this project move along.

Return to “Painting & Modeling”