Blockade's PM Log - Chaos, Guard, SM and More!

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
Forum rules
blockade23

Blockade's PM Log - Chaos, Guard, SM and More!

Postby blockade23 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:54 pm

Update: 4-20

Currently Updated Photo (Blurry, Sorry!)

From Left to Right, Naval IG w/ Officer, Cultists with Dark Apostle, Thousand Sons, then Skitarii!
All atop the brand new Makitainer terrain I just finished, atop the cityfight battleboard I painted also for the challenge!
Green = Done.

January/Feb Commitment - 10 Cultists - BONUS: 3 Vanguard Vets, 5 Naval IG w/ Officer, 1 Steel Legion Lt.
March - 7 Skitarii + Chaos Dark Apostle + Star Temple
April - 10 Thousand Sons Rubric Marines and 10 Imperial Guard Naval Security Forces (counts as stormtroopers) + CItyfight board + Five Shipping Container Terrain Pieces)
May - Hunter + Deathwatch Overkill Librarian

June - Land Raider Redeemer and Salamander (FAILED -> Moved to July and Completed)
July - Land Raider Redeemer and Salamander + Crew (Success!)
August - 5 Devastators
September - Leman Russ and 6 Assault Marines, 6 Bikers, Close Combat Contemptor Dreadnaught
October - 9 Man Sternguard Squad and Apothecary, 11 more cultists, 12 IG w/ Praetorian Lt.

November - Techmarine, 6 Chaos Chosen, Basilisk, Chimera, IG Special Weapons Squad
December - Griffon/Wyvern, Steel Legion Lascannon, Some more cultists... I'm running out of stuff to do from my older lists!

FLUFF:

[TL:DR - This is the Fluff I’ve written to support finishing painting the scattering of different things I have left at my house. My goal this year is to paint all the remaining plastic/resin figures I have, which seem to fall into three categories - Space Marines, Chaos Marines/Cultists, and IG/Admech (mostly IG). Enjoy the fluff! C&C always welcome]

M41.32.1.19.16

Tithe Grade: Secondus
Habitable Planets: One - Antioch - Semi-Arid-Temperate planet, multiple continents, several small seas
Other Planets: Two Tertius grade dead planets, three large gas giants. System is nearly a binary star system. Significant mining and mineral harvesting of other planetary bodies and moons.

System Capital: Antioch - Antioch Prime
Defense:
15 Regiments - Antioch Immortal Guard
Commissariate - One System Commissar, three junior adepts
System Fleet - Six Customs Cutters, one Cruiser for Pirate Interdiction

Threat Level:
External: Minor (Grade 4.3)
Internal: Minor - Recently Updated - Moderate

Antioch

Situation Outline: Approximately 18 months ago, a meteorite struck the eastern continent despite all system fleet attempts to divert it. Damage to inhabited areas was minor, as the eastern continent is mostly arid desert. Several small outlying communities were evacuated. Heavy sandstorm activity prevented additional response by planetary pdf and exploratory units. Fly-overs by scout aircraft proved useless as well, as did sensor sweeps and all other long range scanning.

The first units to make a full investigation were units of the 14th PDF Regiment “The Sand Devils” Based in the eastern provincial capital of Iche. When scout units failed to report in, a full company of the Sand Devils were sent in to ascertain the disappearances. Sandstorm cover made orbital video-pict coverage impossible, while the following fragment of transmission was secured.

<<<Transmission Intercept>>>

“Oh God-Emperor they’re in the sand! They’re in the... [Message garbled]... Fall back! Fall ba-[Message cuts out here for a brief time] The sand is alive, it's everywhere, everywhe-”
{5th Company Command Vox Net}

<<<Transmission End>>>
Secured Astropath Station Beta, Antioch Prime

When the 5th company of the Sand Devils failed to report, Colonel Arios Peligaous mustered his entire regiment and alerted Antioch Prime on the western continent. The 2nd, 3rd, and 5th regiments of the PDF were deployed to Iche, but Colonel Peligaous refused to wait for their support. He mobilized his light armor and transports, activated the local auxilia and marched into the desert. They arrived at the fall site for the meteorite, without encountering any of the sandstorms that had covered previous expeditions. Undoubtedly disturbed at the complete absence of any proof of 5th company’s existence, Peligaous ordered the meteorite destroyed. Whether his men triggered some mechanism or the enemy was waiting for them is unknown. What is known is that, in the span of one afternoon, just over nine hundred men of the 14th regiment were killed. The shattered survivors, led by the mortally wounded Peligaous, fled towards Iche, a bare fifty managing to arrive in the city ahead of a massive sandstorm, pitch black in color, criss-crossed by bands of green and blue lightning. The astropathic relay station at Antioch Prime was thrown into chaos by the arrival of this apparently warp-fueled sandstorm. This news was shared with Governor Ormious Regatta, an Astra Militarum veteran, who instantly sent out a call for aid. He quickly realized that any warp-fueled storm had greater implications for the sector and would be far beyond his lightly armed and armored PDFs ability to counter.

As Antioch Prime anxiously awaited word of reinforcements, the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th PDF Regiments, along with the handful of survivors of the 15th, clung to hope in Iche. The sandstorm billowed around their defensive perimeter, scarring the once tan and ochre land black and grey. Peligaous had died overnight, finally succumbing to his wounds. He would be but the first to die, as waves of chaos cultists appeared from the storm, assaulting the barely-prepared PDF positions. The PDF was quickly pushed back, their command and control system shattering in the wake of the overwhelming attack.

Within hours, Iche was lost. Most concerning of all was word from the last holdouts of the arrival of Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines, spearheading the final assault on the Provincial Command bunker. With the fall of Iche, the rest of the eastern continent fell within hours, tiny outposts calling desperately, briefly, for aid, followed only by silence.

Governor Regatta sat in his command chamber in Antioch Prime, reading over the seemingly endless reports of outposts gone, units destroyed, and contact lost. With ⅓ of his manpower and available units gone, he ordered his remaining forces to fall back to Antioch Prime, evacuating other minor settlements. Behind the massive curtain walls of Antioch Prime, he would make his stand until reinforcements could be gathered. And then… the storm stopped. For six months, the PDF and civilian populace of Antioch built defenses, watched the east, and worried. Scout patrols reached the edge of the Central Sea, their magnifiers showing them the now-desolate coast of the eastern continent. But still, nothing.

Seven months in, the Arcadian 4th arrived to bolster the PDG. Sector Command had shifted them away from their planned destination - the securing of the Volena Hives - to Antioch upon hearing of their predicament. Other Astra Militarum support was over a year away. Governor Regatta was reluctant to deploy his own PDF on the offensive, when he knew so little of what he faced. Planet scans continued to show activity in the desert, and the meteorite's crash site was still swathed in a billowing cloak of inky darkness.

With their dropships descending to the landing fields of Antioch Prime, the 4th Arcadian deployed. Their black and blue uniforms stuck out like a sore thumb in the desert, but the Ministorum could care less. The local populace threw a parade, welcoming the Arcadians with open arms. Their commander, Praetorian Maximilian Jordan, marched straight to the command bunker to greet the Governor, and then demanded to send his own reconnaissance team over. Reluctantly, Regatta allowed it. Jordan dispatched a scout team with all haste, wanting to see what had pulled him from his original mission.

The black and blue valkyrie sped through the wind-torn skies, skimming low over the Central Sea. Its veteran pilot danced around arcing lightning and battling through buffeting winds. Finally, it circled around the location of Iche, or at least, where Iche had been. Now it was mere a glassy black plain, any memory of its existence melted out. Elite Tempestus Scions descended, took several pictographs of their surroundings, then loaded back up. There was nothing to see, nothing to record. Just black sand melted into glass.

On the return trip, Antioch Prime diverted the scout vessel to search nearby outposts as well. At each one, they found nothing. Nothing saved melted fields of dark sand. Closer and closer they flew to the coastline, until, upon cresting a rise, they found a huge encampment sprawling before them. Surprised cultists watched the Imperial flyer race over them. Innumerable icons to the dark gods spread around them like diseased plants. Witchfire lashed out at the vessel, the pilot managing to turn it aside and turboboost away at the last second. Why were they waiting? Why had they gathered?

Or perhaps, for whom were they waiting?

With this knowledge, the scouts raced back to share their report. Soon, other flights were dispersed, revealing a series of camps along the edge of the sea, opposite the close shores of the western continent. Knowing that the cultists and their warp-tainted support could not cross without boats or bridges, Praetorian Jordan took command of the PDF. He left half their number at the capital, deploying his men and the PDF along the coast of the ocean as well, spread along the cliffs opposite the camps. His men grumbled, knowing their enemy lay just across the narrowest points of the channel here. The ever-present blackness gnawed on their souls, and only through the consistent reminders of the commissariat and their priests was internal division and conflict avoided.

Months passed, and still the forces of chaos seemed to wait. It grated on the nerves of the imperials, lulling them into a false sense of security. It was on one of these days that the forces of the primordial destroyer made their move. Several fat-bottomed transport vessels, recently arrived in system supposedly carrying much needed food for the burgeoning proto-hive of Antioch Prime sped up. Their engines pushed beyond extremes, they blew past the surprised cordon of system monitors, aiming straight for the defensive works on the western continent. Hastily, Praetorian Jordan withdrew his men, anxious to avoid losing critical manpower before the true battle began. Like blazing comets, the three vessels cut through the atmosphere, training fire and smoke.

Suddenly, the vessels turned, firing thrusters even as parts of the ships sloughed off, raining debris around. They split up, centering over multiple parts of the Central Sea before crashing down into the water. Defense batteries from Antioch Prime finally activated, blazing away at the thickly armored ships as they fell. The tidal wave washed over beach defenses, carrying away men and material, flooding rivers and destroying abandoned settlements.

As the wave subsided, Praetorian Jordan urged his forces to return to their fortifications. The placement of the ships was no accident. The channel was now neatly bridged in three places, and already orbital stations had detected massed movement in the camps. Just as his men returned to their posts, digging out flooded bunkers and cleaning off mud and sand covered equipment, the first wave of attackers struck. The bows of the ships opened suddenly, disgorging waves of cultists upon the sandy shores of the continent. At first, the defensive fire was lackluster, the defenders taken by surprise, but soon the defense intensified as more and more companies and positions came online. As soon as a wave was beat back, yet another one began.

Back at the command center, alarms rang again. Additional vessels appearing from warp. Long range scans were having trouble identifying the vessels. Nervously, Governor Regatta ordered his system monitors to advance out and destroy the ships if necessary.

A short time later, they sent word back. Their saviors had arrived, for a company of space marines in companion to an Adeptus Mechanicus explorator ship were the new arrivals. Voice shaking, the governor urgently, but politely requested their assistance.

When his message was received aboard The Last Cataphract, the final battle barge of the Crimson Consul Space Marine Chapter, Captain Alexius Tiberos knew he could not avoid this battle. Their companions, the Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator Vessel EX-359B sent their assertion when he requested their support.

The last of the Crimson Consuls would go to war. Their personal vendetta and hunt of the Alpha Legion traitors who had stolen their gene seed, their recruits, and their homeworld would have to wait.

This time...
Last edited by blockade23 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 14 times in total.
HPC-2016

Wisdom Hunters Warband & Renegades!
4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM
Deathwatch Haltmoat Force Quartus

Record 2017 - 7/4/2
Bought 2017:1 Painted: 64
Last Bought: Arhiman
Last Painted: Terminators
WIP: Arhiman/Praetor

blockade23

Models List (and Plan)

Postby blockade23 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:00 pm

EDIT: Updated 10-1-16

In case you couldn't figure out from the above fluff, I've got chunks of Chaos, IG, Space Marines, and Admech to finish. Interestingly enough, it fits roughly three full different armies, and could easily fill four since I've got at least 3+ units for each one.

Done = Green

Chaos:
Champion/Sorcerer/Dark Apostle (flexible usage) - March Commitment
Cultist Squad A - Jan/Feb Commitment
10 Thousand Son Marines - April Commitment

6 Chosen
5 Thousand Sons Terminators (NEW)
Cultist Squad B - March#2 Commitment
(I found two more platoons of Renegade Guard. No clue how I'll work them in)

Space Marines
3 Vanguard Vets - Feb (not a full squad, just something else to finish)
LIbrarian - May
Company Champion - May
Landraider Redeemer
6 Bikers - August
3 Scouts - August

30k Banner and Captain, Plus Apothecary
Techpriest (Taken from Admech list b/c I love the model)
Sternguard Squad (7 men) - October's Commitment
Devastator Squad - 2 Plasma Cannon Marines, 2 Missile Launchers, Sergeant (Taken From Sternguard Squad)
Close Combat Contemptor Dreadnaught

IG/AM
Naval Command Squad (Commissar + 4 Shotgun Ratings) - March
Naval Ratings Crew (10 man IG Breacher Squad)

Basilisk
Salamander
Tauros (FW Dune buggy FTW!)
Command Squad (designed to be built with Salamander)
Leman Russ Vanquisher

Admech/Skitarii
10 Skitarii Rangers - March
Techpriest Dominus
Last edited by blockade23 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 12 times in total.
HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

blockade23

January/Feb Commitment

Postby blockade23 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:53 pm

HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

blockade23

Re: Blockade Returns - HPC 2106

Postby blockade23 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:19 am

Some Progress Updates on the Cultists. Finally figured out the last steps.

In this one you can also see one of the handful of finished Skitarii that are also on the "to Paint" list.

I should get this entire group and more done this weekend if this blizzard hitting the Washington DC area is as big as the weather people say. Hurray for finishing February commitment(s).
HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

blockade23

January/Feb Commitment Finished!

Postby blockade23 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Obviously I'll post on the completed commitments section. But I'd love to share my first adventure into Yellow and Purple! C+C appreciated. I'm pretty happy with them right now, especially considering they're cultists, and don't need to be perfect.

HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

pablothegreat

Postby pablothegreat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:39 pm

I like the Marvel Wolverine look!

It's also good to see that the HPC is still going 90 year from now! :D
ICs 4 Life!

blockade23

Postby blockade23 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:10 pm

pablothegreat wrote:I like the Marvel Wolverine look!

It's also good to see that the HPC is still going 90 year from now! :D
ICs 4 Life!

I was wondering where I'd seen that color pattern before! Of course ;-) Maybe I should change the title? Lol
HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

blockade23

Extra Fun Things I painted tonight!

Postby blockade23 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:15 pm

Because I'm a.) Snowed in and B.) Can only paint so much Yellow and Purple in a night, I also finished one additional guard model and worked on my last few Vanguard Vets.

Keeping Track of Models Bought and Painted this year so far...
Bought: 0
Painted: 11
HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

blockade23

Bonus Complete February Models

Postby blockade23 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:30 pm

So I managed to finish the last three Vanguard Models (Including the guy with the missing head - it's here... somewhere!). This thread is as much HPC as it is a War on Bare Plastic throughout my armies.

Hope you like!
HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

blockade23

Re: Blockade Returns - HPC 2016 Chaos, Guard & SM

Postby blockade23 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Finished some more dudes last night. This is the first of a 'Naval Boarding Detail. (Cough Cough Away Team) That I'm adding to my army. Officer is a metal IG Commissar that someone on Instagram thought looked like Han Solo. I laughed at that one.

Fluff: Early on during the insurrection/invasion of Antioch, planetary Governor Regatta ordered any and all available ground forces in the system to defend Antioch Prime. The five vessels of the System Fleet assembled a regiment-sized infantry detachment from their security staff and naval crew. Led by 'voluntary' officers, these men quickly gained a reputation for their proficiency at close in fire fights. Their boarding shields and void-hardened suits also earned them a tough-as-nails reputation. Although this left the system monitors at skeleton strength, their support on the surface would help stem the tide of the insurrection. For a while, at least.

The Command Away Team (Counts as IG for now - maybe with shotguns)

Naval Officer Gordon, ready to lead his team. (Still a few slops to fix, especially on his jacket and face. Missing those two paints, left them back at the other snowed-in house.)

The team

I have two 'breacher' teams with explosive charges to build as well, they're part of my HPC officially since they haven't been built/basecoated. These guys were already mostly done earlier.
HPC-2016

4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM

Record 2017 - 7/4/2

Return to “Painting & Modeling”