Posting images from an external source

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
Adan
IC Staff

Posting images from an external source

Post by Adan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Now that Picasa is no more, we must rely on the new Google Photos to share our images.

If you haven't been redirected yet, go to the following URL: https://photos.google.com/

SET UP YOUR HPC FOLDER

You should only have to do this part once.

In Google Photos, click on the + sign at the top right of the page.

Select "Create new... Album"

You'll have to select one of your existing photos.

And rename the album.

In the upper right-hand corner of the page, click on the "More Options" button which is the 3 vertical dots.

Click "Sharing Options".

Switch to "Shared Album".

Switch off "Collaborate" and close the dialog. Your folder should be all set up now.

POST AN IMAGE

Go to your album. You upload photos by dragging them from your PC and dropping them into the browser window.

PLEASE TRY TO RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO 1200 PIXELS WIDE OR LESS BEFORE UPLOADING. I know I can be guilty of not doing this, but please try if you can.

Then, select one of your photos by clicking on it.

You can edit it or whatever from here, but you can't resize, so that's kind of useless at the moment.

At any rate, from this window, right click on the image and select "Copy image address."

Go to the thread where you're posting your image and create a new post. In the new post editor, place your cursor in the textarea and click the image button.

Then, paste your image url into the tag either with Control+V or whatever method you prefer.

Save the form.

There he is, in all his majesty!

All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Loopy
IC Staff

Re: Posting images from an external source

Post by Loopy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:46 am

Note that I am following the Google Photos debacle. If we need to change our suggested format, I'll let everyone know.

Starminer

Post by Starminer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am

Loopy wrote:Note that I am following the Google Photos debacle. If we need to change our suggested format, I'll let everyone know.
Loopy, I haven't had trouble posting my photos and I used Picasa, and now the new Google photos platform.

I think the trick that works for me is that I right click on the image and open the image into a new tab, then I copy the url right out of the web browser address bar, and paste it between the Img tags.

I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Starminer

Personal Blog: Caution: Bonds Skin Instantly
A40K Webzine: Apocrypha 40,000

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Starminer wrote:
Loopy wrote:Note that I am following the Google Photos debacle. If we need to change our suggested format, I'll let everyone know.
Loopy, I haven't had trouble posting my photos and I used Picasa, and now the new Google photos platform.

I think the trick that works for me is that I right click on the image and open the image into a new tab, then I copy the url right out of the web browser address bar, and paste it between the Img tags.

I hope that helps.
Thanks, Starminer. I think that's what I'll tell people to do. I hate making people go through that process, but I think it's the only answer at the moment. :(

Ministerofpork

Post by Ministerofpork » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:02 am

Starminer wrote:

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the tip. I was going nuts trying to figure out the new google photos.

Wayward

Post by Wayward » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:13 am

Hi,

Is this technique still working for you guys, it's not working for me. When I try, i just get the 'Image' word but no picture...

Wayward

Wayward

Post by Wayward » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:23 am

I got it. I think the above technique works from the old Picasa site, but not the Google Albums site

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:44 am

I have updated the original post with the new instructions.

It is VERY important that you make sure you set the permissions on that folder or else you will be the only one who can see them.

Return to “Painting & Modeling”