Necron, Terrain, et. al.

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
DanRiverBrew

Re: HBC 2015 Nids and Dark Angels

Post by DanRiverBrew » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Lol awesome edit :D And thanks too

As for the leg text I did the Celestra blue (or maybe it's grey. Bulb wash. Then nearly dry brushed the Celestra again lighting over the words and just slightly heavier in between, fine brush.

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:49 am

Played around a bit this weekend. Based several models finally including the Dark Talon :D the dead bid needs some Blood of the old God but is was fun nonetheless to make

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:58 am

Dude that base is intense! Nice work. I am hereby disappointed that I didn't think of that first, although I do have a heldrake yo base.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Haha thanks Gigantor. Found one of these little fake flame lights and immediately wanted to do this.

Here is the below the cloud view. I drilled a hole in the base and hot glued the light in I can reach the light switch this way and change batteries. I made the cloud circular cause I wanted it to have the appearance of the smoke cover the base and kind of masking the clear pole
Other side

Innicas

Post by Innicas » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 am

That is awesome! I've seen those candles used in destroyed vehicle smoke markers but I never would have thought to use one in a base. The effect is fantastic!

frutescent

Post by frutescent » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:52 pm

I'll second how good that stonework looks and add that the bronze work next to it is equally nice.

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:39 pm

frutescent wrote:I'll second how good that stonework looks and add that the bronze work next to it is equally nice.
Thanks a lot frutescent

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:31 pm

March commit. Plus I finished all the magnets, on to prime/paint

I thought it would be fun to take a pic of all the models I painted since I started this honey around the first week of November 2014

If you haven't noticed I like to paint all my big stuff. I have 45+ termagants, +/- 15 hormagaunts, 3 bid warriors, +/-20 more genestealers, 30 tac marines, 15 DW terminators, and 9 bikes to do.

How do you guys get up for painting loads of repetitive guys? I get tired and bored when painting them. For my termagants would you do them all at the same time or 10 at a time etc.?

Dogberry1982

Post by Dogberry1982 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:22 pm

I find that a middle of the road approach works the best for me. Back a couple years ago I batch painted 30 tac marines to about 80%, and then they stayed that way for years. (They are currently in simple green)

So for this HPC I am trying a combination. I painted the white on all my guys first because it's the most tedious part and I didn't want to give myself the option the stop and paint other things. But now, I broke the tac squad into 2 groups of five and I am finishing the first group now. Then I will go and finish the rest. I also find that it helps to give yourself a reward at certain milestones. So for me, when I finish the first 5 guys I am going to paint the dreadnought. I have also found that just making myself start can be the biggest challenge. Once I get going, I will usually get a lot done.

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks Dogberry for the suggestion. I kind if went mixed strategy on my RW bikes now. I went and assembly line painted all the white across 9 bikers, plus finished their bases...got bored and have now gone and nearly finished painting one of them. I may go and do one more color across all the remaining ones and then finish a 2nd, and so one.

still have the edge highlighting to do on all the black parts of the bike and the majority of the marine. Also, need to white touch up the back wing. oh and gluing on the front wings/handlebar

Return to “Painting & Modeling”