Necron, Terrain, et. al.

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
DanRiverBrew

Necron, Terrain, et. al.

Post by DanRiverBrew » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, it's my first post on the forums.

A little intro, i played Fantasy about 15 years ago and sold all my stuff about 7 years ago. Then when cleaning out my folks attic i found all my old White Dwarf and some Necromunda and took it to my local GW store to give to the manager to find a good home for the stuff. The guy was super friendly, gave me the latest copy of White Dwarf. I was looking through it and wouldn't you know I got hooked again. Though since i already sold off way too much $$$ worth of fantasy i thought I would start over with some 40K I've been eyeing since the beginning, Tyranids!

So I found a guy on Craigslist selling a huge lot of nids for cheap back in November and got started again...Now 2 months in and of course i've found another guy to buy some Dark Angel stuff off of. Now i have 2 armies to paint. I don't get to play much so I'm trying to enjoy the hobby part this time around more.

Here are some of my Nids that I got started with. So since November last year I painted a Flyrant (had to break off arms but the wings are set), Mawloc, 3 Warriors, 3 Ravagers, 1 Zoanthrope..

Then i did my Tervigon, and picked up a box of Thropes that i made 2 Venomthropes and 1 Neurothrope out of the set. Also got a Deathleaper
After Christmas i got a couple pairs of Twin-Linked Devourers from FW which i magnetized (remember i broke the arms off the Flyrant) and magnetized them all

About this time i got distracted by the super fun looking DA Dark Talon and Dreadnought so i painted them up, plus squeezed in a Carnifex (sadly the claws were tightly on, so i left it as it was). I did magnetize the storm bolter and flamer for the Nought but decided against doing the Dark Talon. I will probably just get a Jetfighter later.
I had fun scratching in Mortis Die to the Scroll on the Triptych as well as the Dreadnought

Now I have some Genestealers, Broodlord, and a swarm to finish up. After that i have about 46 termies and 9 Ravenwing bikers, and a Venerable Dreadnought. They are up next on my list of what i want done first.
Last edited by DanRiverBrew on Tue May 31, 2016 8:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

DanRiverBrew

Re: HBC 2015

Post by DanRiverBrew » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:43 pm

I guess I should have said that I love the green/sepia look, which I found looking around the internet to find ideas on what scheme to go with. I know it's not a real theme (that i know of as i'm not much of a reader).

Also, going with the classic green, black or white-ish (deathwing) color scheme for the DA's.

DanRiverBrew

Re: HBC 2015 Nids and Dark Angels

Post by DanRiverBrew » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:00 pm

February commits would be

Finish the last bit of the Genestealers, Broodlord, and Ripper Swarm

Plus do the following
9 Ravenwing attack bikers
1 Venerable Dreadnought plus all the extra weapon/arm bits

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:07 pm

Wow, that is an awesome looking brain bug and an disgusting(ly awsome) baby momma bug!

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks a lot....and if I'm not mistaken congrats to you on the HPC 2014 prize/recognition (I forget what but Carl and Loope mentioned your name a lot :D

I've always loved the Nids back when the was reading battle reports in old White Dwarf 150-190's. So when they showed up on Craigslist I just had to go for it. I did have to break the Tervigons legs too in order to paint him snapped flush above the socket sadly so I had to pin

I never did all the pinning and magnetizing back when but that is a really fun thing to do now. I'm helping a friend do it to his new Eldar army too

Innicas

Post by Innicas » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:30 am

That's what a Mawloc looks like? Never seen one before - it's horrific!
I love the strong green you've got on all the carapace, looks really good.

Your DA stuff is lovely so far too. Part of me wants you to paint more of them, part of me doesn't (you've got me wanting to buy a Dark Talon again - I thought I was over that...)

Keep up the good work!

Crazy_Irish

Post by Crazy_Irish » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:02 am

Wow really nice work on the Nephaliean..... ehm, on the airplane ;-) really clean work! And the rest looks also good but I just had to say something about the.... plane:-D

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks a bunch Innicas. The Mawloc was a ton of work on the 50+ rows of scales I think. I love the open jaw thing too. I think a much cooler looking model than the Trygon. Sadly the head she'll was glued on too tight to remove, when I bought it. It was originally a Trygon, but his other jaw was easy to snap off.

@Crazy_Irish. Thanks for the compliments. I loved doing the triptych, wings and big angel on the tail fin in that Stoney grey/green. I tried to look up marbling but I could get it to come out right on my test board. Here is a close up of the side.

Innicas

Post by Innicas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:51 am

That stonework looks really good. Nothing says 40k more that a flying church with guns :D

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:22 am

LOL. Even my devoutly catholic mom liked that haha

It was a very watered down Celestra grey with just a tiny bit of Caliban Green. A couple thin coats over the black helped keep it Stoney. The bulb oil was just spotted thought the skulls and kept in the deeper cracks. Then a quick highlight on a few thing like the sword or monks hood area.

Return to “Painting & Modeling”