HPC 2015 - Blood Angels by Unhappycow

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.

what should I order for my 30k Blood Angels?

Tactical Marines
17%
Contemptor Dreadnought
29%
Spartan
11%
Sicaran
14%
Cataphractii Terminators
29%

Total votes: 35

unhappycow

HPC 2015 - Blood Angels by Unhappycow

Post by unhappycow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Alright, this will be my first attempt at a hobby progress challenge and I am really excited to get some of my blood angels painted! I have around 8,000 points of blood angels and almost all of it needs painted or repainted so this is a great opportunity for me.

Second I am not just doing 40k blood angels, but also a 30k blood angels army. I plan on making another purchase to forgeworld after my wedding in April, but I am completely unsure about what I want/need to buy to begin flushing out the army more. I currently have the "Betrayal" book, 20 tactical marines, and the two preators. what does everyone think I should invest in next? The poll above I have aloud for 2 votes per person and I am really interested to see what people have to say, but please feel free to post your full opinion below!

this land raider is my current work in progress and is the first vehicle that I am trying to paint with my airbrush I am trying the "Zenital" method of painting. please let me know what you all think.

Cheers!

Gigantor

Re: HPC 2015 - Blood Angels by Unhappycow

Post by Gigantor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Hey welcome to the forums. It's always nice to see more fans of Team Edward. If it were my vote for more FW, it would be Cataphractii. They're just too awesome not to use. And maybe another 10 marines so that you can have 2 squads of 15.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

Innicas

Post by Innicas » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:18 am

Welcome Unhappycow!
The Cataphractii are lovely but I voted for the contemptor - nothing says BA like a giant robot with swords for fingers!
Looking forward to seeing your progress

unhappycow

Post by unhappycow » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks Gigantor and Innicas! while this update isn't any actual progress on the current commitment I figured that I would explain a little more about my current plan. with school in full swing and stuck on mandatory over time at work I feel a little stretched for hobby time during the week but will try to get enough done to make a legitimate before the weekend.

the following picture is just some of the new blood angels releases that I purchased. I plan on making one of the tactical squads very "unique" by giving each model its own name and writing some specific fluff about each member of the unit and then some on the unit as a whole.

The rest of the stuff in the picture probably won't get the "red carpet" treatment that I plan on giving that tactical squad, but we will see ;)

as for when I plan on doing these things nothing is set in stone yet. I am hoping to keep the month of April pretty light seeing that I am getting married to my beautiful bride to be then, so I will probably try to save a character for then. other than that I am thinking that I will try and get some of these tactical marines finished in march (maybe with the Sanguinary priest). in May I may commit to getting 5 of those amazing new BA terminators up and running, along with hopefully making my forgeworld order then.

Times are busy but everyone needs a hobby and this is how I get to relive a little stress in my life.

looking forward to checking out everyone else's progress! :D :D :D

Innicas

Post by Innicas » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:00 am

Great stuff! I named all my DA when I put them together, it does make your games feel a bit more epic. Be warned though- it'll only cost more time when you realise you have to put extra purity seals on every marine that performed well in battle and it's awful when your favourite guy dies! (Poor Aradiel, may the Emperor keep you)

Keep up the good work - and congratulations on the wedding! (Does your fiancée know what she's letting herself in for, marrying a gamer?)

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm sorry, I can't vote for just two. Seeing as I own all of those options, they are awesome.

Seriously though, if you are shooting for 30k, you CAN'T have too many boots on the ground.

unhappycow

Post by unhappycow » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Keep up the good work - and congratulations on the wedding! (Does your fiancée know what she's letting herself in for, marrying a gamer?)

Yes, she is very aware. We have been living together for 3 years now, and she thinks that its good that I can relieve stress with my "nerd game."

and I had never thought of my cool characters dying! I figured if I put all the work into making this unit so special and everything then by Karma they would be indestructible!!! haha

Thanks student teacher! and the more I think about it, I do think that more boots are needed, I think I will get at least 10 more tac marines (maybe 30 more idk) but those contemptors seems so flexible as far as modeling goes... maybe I should just get it all haha!

as far as more progress this week it is a little slow still, BUT I have tried to do this effect on the multi-melta barrel and I need some feed back on it.

along with that I have painted a lot of the metalic parts of the land raider and have put the base coats down for the non-metalic gold parts that I plan on painting. I will try to get more pictures of that up here soon.

along with that I will try and get some pictures up of my 30k models that I already have painted.

FOR SANGUINIUS!
Last edited by unhappycow on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Innicas

Post by Innicas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 am

unhappycow wrote:maybe I should just get it all haha!
Do it.....

It's a little hard to make out what you're going for in that pic but if I'm looking at it right- are you aiming for purple/blue heat marks on the barrel rather than the usual fire blackened/sooty look?
I'd say you're doing a good job, it's going to look great

unhappycow

Post by unhappycow » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:58 pm

sorry it has been so long since I have last posted, I plan on making up for it tonight with a few more pictures ;)

Innicas: yeah in that picture I was trying to show the effect of the metal that gets that little bit of a distorted purple or blue color to it when exposed to extreme heat. (something I would imagine would happen to a multi-melta) sorry about the picture quality, not the best camera on my android.

while work has been kicking my butt lately I have still been making some progress on things with my Blood angels. first thing I have been working on is my Captain Karlean that I started before the HPC here is a picture (sorry for quality once again, still working on lighting and new bulbs)

second of all I have made a little progress on my commitment! I have finished all the "non-metalic gold parts that I plan on doing, and have then tried making some weathering effects on the side of the Land Raider. Now I have some very mixed opinions on how this turned out and really cannot decide if the positives outweigh the negatives. please let me know what you guys think on this one, I need some serious help :?

lastly I figured I would show you all the 30k models that I currently have painted for you guys. as always comments and criticisms are not only welcomed by appreciated.

I am trying to go with some battle damage on these guys which I am happy enough with right now (with the exception of the preator) however as of late I have also been very indecisive on what kind of theme I want to go with for my 30k blood angels, my original plans were for them to be at the battle for the Emperor's palace (specifically the eternity gate) but I am not sure I want to do that any more and was thinking maybe I could do Signus Prime themed bases. The end goal is to be able to make a cool scenic board in either case. let me know what you guys think.

good lord, I am relying on you guys a lot.

By the Blood of Sanguinius!

Innicas

Post by Innicas » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:22 am

I think the Land Raider looks good. You've probably gone a bit heavier on the drippy stuff (sorry, I'm sure there's a better term for that) than most would but I think works- Land Raider looks like it's been through hell.

I like the hazard stripes on everybody's chain blades :D

Return to “Painting & Modeling”