Firenado Sharks, Fez's Space Marines (Now also Imperial Knight... Sabers. BGC)

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
Fez_Findie

Firenado Sharks, Fez's Space Marines (Now also Imperial Knight... Sabers. BGC)

Post by Fez_Findie » Sun May 11, 2014 3:51 am

Yeah, finally went and did what I prolly should have done long ago, or then simply had too much hard time on picking the colors. Now need to pick a name for them as well as the Knight House they're involved with. Chapter name may be "Firenado Sharks." Yes, its a real word.

Anyways, the backstory I got so far goes about like this, so do feel free to call out on me for totally failing. Will compose what I make up here better and put a new thread with more clear ideas eventually.

Backstory

Relatively recently, which could be a couple of thousand years, a ship re-emerged from the warp. Having been there for a long, undeterminate amount of time though not at least anywhere Heresy-era old. Boarding the battle-damaged vessel, the imperial forces (could be of IG or Crimson Fists, so could fit'em in) found it was carrying enough geneseed to form a chapter but no survivors outside a dreadnought or two. However, their memories were scattered but recalled they were intended to aid with founding a new chapter for whichever founding they were intended for. Signs point to Raven Guard or Raptors, though not 100% for sure. Their archives, when questioned, failed to give much answers. Some suspect this was some secretive mission only known by a few, and whom happened to get killed perhaps for different reasons.

What was gathered however was that a last stand was taken, one that managed to secure the geneseed with the Dreadnought surviving. Besides the Astartes, the crew and for some unknown reason a group of sororitas appeared to have been around in the vessel. A husk of a Sister of Battle with an empty bolter, taken in a prayer position in time of her death near the Dreadnought and the geneseed storage. Her husk is surrounded by scorchmarks that stop a short distance away. Now, the Dreadnought carries only the faintest shadows of memories and the Duty. An air of melancholy is said to surround him and while he can't recall much, he reminds that "For Every Battle Honour, a thousand heroes die Unsung."

After considerable time in evaluating the geneseed, they found no signs of taint of Chaos or anything else, nor it seemed to be particularily enhanced in particular ways and all around usable. Given the value of it, it was decided by otherwise standard procedures to be used in the next founding, locating their base near a Knight World.

This in turn made some within the Knight House feel honored, but a lot of them felt their pride getting hurt, feeling the Imperium is telling they're not doing good enough job despite the Imperial representatives assuring this is merely convenient. Partially as a compensation or to remind who were there first, the Chapter shares a similar color scheme as the Knight House.

Naturally, the background of their geneseed also has the Inquisition keeping an eye on them (excuse for using the Codex). And some suspect that part of the reason why their homeworld is kept near a Knight World is that in case they turn bad suddenly, like due to what was missed out on investigating the geneseed... well, something to wear them down until proper answer arrives or possibly wipe them out.

This chapter has mostly a practical way of handling things as opposed to some of the more charge-in-your-face or rip'n'tear cousins. The first marines consisted a lot of Raptors and possibly some other chapter's reps to aid with their founding, along with the dreadnoughts that accompanied the geneseed storage. However, they also attempt to practice little flexibility while basing their organization mostly around the Codex with some possible exceptions. (in practice, CT varies mostly between Raven Guard and Ultramarines. May try others but gonna stick with just a couple so its not all over the place)

Of course, while avoiding needlessly malevolent actions and mostly being pretty fair people, thanks to perhaps one of the founding members having seen the likes of Marines Malevolent and Flesh Tearers in person, (and thus placed it in their principles to avoid such actions). However, the looming presence of the Inquisition and knowing they do not have long history to get away with suddenly disappeared Inquisitors, they're at few times forced to let the I's have their way. This may yet lead to trouble with Chapters like Space Wolves or the Salamanders if their paths would cross and that situation would happen, despite them caring at least a bit if civilians get caught in the way. And of course, being considered a young chapter by others with little experience so far, yet to carve much impression.

Homeworld

One of the three human-populated planets in the system, *iwill insert name here* has had storms of fire or 'firenado's' regularily ravaging the landscape in certain areas at times, making any warlords and other great warriors needing to practice patience and timing, waiting for the fiery tornados to pass and then be first to charge in. This has left a mark in the tactics of the Firenado sharks.

The world also has a particularily dangerous species of a shark-like predator.

Tactics

Taking cues from Raven Guard yet also abiding mostly to the codex, the Firenado Sharks specialize in Interception and WW1 style striking between bombardments. They're less about being on the vanguard of a bigger force and instead wait in the sidelines for the right time to strike at the meatiest parts of the enemy force. This also serves them to counter sudden enemy reinforcements, preferring to use Stormraven gunships and jump troops.

This is often achieved with emphasis on Scouts and scout bikers gathering intelligence and helping to initially bring a small force of regular Space Marines who have kept their training in scouting and stealth fresher in minds by the chapter having each marine to train in those arts every once in a while, and then calling in Stormravens, Stormtalons and Land Speeders for second phase. Besides Whirlwinds, tanks are less often seen but they have got those on the back.

However, when the element of surprise may be taken off, the Firenado Sharks are known to bring out the other gear as well as more conventional tactics, depending on the situation.

(WIP)

Remember, all WIP yet.

Might need to make a separate thread but anyways. How's this so far? ^^

Also, anyone know where I may find a Space Marine template like what is used in these links for example? http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Knights_Repentant
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Galactic_Partridges
Last edited by Fez_Findie on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3767 My painting and works.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7144 Firenado Sharks

Fez_Findie

Re: Firenado Sharks, Fez's Space Marines (WIP & sum fluff)

Post by Fez_Findie » Mon May 19, 2014 9:13 am

And moar. Got started on the Company Captain as well. Tried for an effect on the Thunder Hammer. I know they discharge only on impact, so would assume this is while its charging up for the strike. And deliberately went for some other color than blue on the power sword since one of our graceful hosts in the podcast complained about people not varying a lot there. ^^

And yes, gonna name characters, gotta make'em good. Though any advice on naming/picking the home system or is it okay/standard procedure to make up one as long as ya got a story more or less?

Not entirely happy with the head on the captain... may try somethin' else or then swap it out with some other one. Still, felt like a good idea at the time.

The 40k Hobbiest

Post by The 40k Hobbiest » Tue May 20, 2014 5:15 pm

I really like the color scheme. I'm interested to see how it all looks when complete.
Click the banner to see my blog!
I own:
Ultramarines: 1,000 pts
Eldar: 500 pts
Warhound Titan: 750 pts

Fez_Findie

Post by Fez_Findie » Sun May 25, 2014 1:06 pm

The 40k Hobbiest wrote:I really like the color scheme. I'm interested to see how it all looks when complete.
Thanks ^^ Need to condense the fluff a little or whatever. Thinking of basing force around scout bikes and stormravens and prolly drop pods, going a bit Steel Rehn since I'm thinkin of'em stalking from the skies with the scout bikers checkin' for best point of attack. Yeah, surgical strike like proper Astartes or more emphasis on that. At least as opposed to Siege tactics and such. Maybe landspeeders too.

Checked your blog. Went a bit "awww crud, did I seem like I ripped this guy off with bright blue on brown?" XD But on the other hand, who can say nothing's never done before already. Besides, likin' how your Knights Bellicose look. :)

Working on their insignia as well. Likely shark with a firenado or a fin. Prolly separate versions for banners and shouldpads.

Little progress, showin' WIP Vanguards. Also, demonstration on how a shade color can look in between phases ^^; At least if too much added but shouldn't be considered a catastrophe yet.

So far, got 10 man tac squad, 5 man combat squad, Commander with TH/SS, 5 Vanguard veterans, 5 scout snipers, 5 Terminators and a Rhino. I'll prolly need to make a new thread for this info in the other section as well as count the points.

Fez_Findie

Post by Fez_Findie » Sat May 31, 2014 9:11 pm

Stormtalon and Scout Snipers with little more work needed but anyways. Bought a Stormraven too :)

And doodles for their chapter insignia there. Yeah, need to think something simpler for what can be painted on the left pauldron though could still be for the banner, the middle one.

Fomite

Post by Fomite » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 am

That's similar to the Space Sharks logo - there should be transfers floating around somewhere.

Fez_Findie

Post by Fez_Findie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:33 am

Fomite wrote:That's similar to the Space Sharks logo - there should be transfers floating around somewhere.
Ya, I checked. its a possibility indeed. Actually, if I do go and buy transfers, I might paint a tornado on the pauldron and place at least half of a shark on it :)

Should make a thread to ask about all the chapters sharing similar/same chapter insignia XD Like Red Wolves with Space Wolves and all.

Grots Life

Post by Grots Life » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:41 am

Be careful. If a game objective is the Stanley Cup, Sharks choke in turn five every time.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:46 pm

These guys are rad! I love the colors you chose and the heraldry is awesome.

Fez_Findie

Post by Fez_Findie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Guess its a good thing I ain't no hockey fan, then? XD

And always a honor for seeing a Mod checking out one's stuff ^^

Been workin' on the Stormraven on and off since sunday. Might need to give a little color to the middle as well as give it a neato name. Descending Jaws or something. Maybe slap eyes on its sides. Almost thinking painting jaws/teeth on its front but that might be trickier. Ah well, will see how it goes. And swappin' the Captain's head as well.

Return to “Painting & Modeling”