ander6 - Space Marines - Viridian Fists

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
ander6

Re: ander6 - Space Marines - Viridian Fists

Post by ander6 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 pm

So, I decided to buy a new Techmarine for my Master of the Forge instead of demolishing the assembled one. No problem, I'll just go to the local hobby store and buy one. Get it home open the pack to start cleaning it up and it's a different model. Cool axe, but no helmet, his head is bare. Arrrrrrgh! Now I need to buy another one, and I'll still have this useless model.
Space Marines - Viridian Fists Chapter
"The Commander who has five or six thousand of our heavy cavalry and the help of God will need nothing more."
-Nicephorus II Phocas, Byzantine Emperor

ander6

Post by ander6 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:55 pm

OK, July commitment finished on time (although posted a day late), even with being out of the country for most of the last two weeks.

Purchased last item I needed (Meltaguns), and magnetized AoBR arms, drop pod weapons (only some of which are pictured due to wet glue), Lightning Claws, and Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield arms.

Finished detail work on Pedro, or as finished as he's going to get.

Last edited by ander6 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Commander who has five or six thousand of our heavy cavalry and the help of God will need nothing more."

ander6

Post by ander6 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Beginning to really hate mold lines. :evil: 5 doors, 5 fins, 6 Turbine parts, 6 column parts, 5 restraint blocks, 5 weapon parts, 5 engine details, and 5 engine ports per pod (X5), all of which need to be scrapped.

ander6

Post by ander6 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:36 pm

August Commitment completed!

5 Drop Pods, bases and doors assembled.

Cleaning and assembling fins, harnesses, and turbines.

Control columns installed and turbines assembled.

Harnesses installed, base assemblies and fins primed.

Fins installed.

Bolter strap re-sited, meltagun parts glued on and green stuff added (power cord later removed as there would be no way for the marine to brace the weapon). Hole is being drilled to pin meltagun barrel onto frame.

Final Sternguard Sergent completed. I like the melta barrel below the bolter muzzle (M203 style), since it keeps the bolter receiver and muzzle in-line. Just like a marine not wearing a helmet, having a bullet come out a muzzle 4 inches lower than the chamber bothers me.

Smoke launchers, searchlights, and details added, Storm Bolters replaced with Heavy Flamers.

Remaining Terminators, Vanguard, Sternguard, Devestators, Librarian, and Chaplin primed.

Modified Sternguard Sergent primed.
Last edited by ander6 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ander6

Post by ander6 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 pm

September goal? Epic fail. Between being crazy busy at home and sick for over a week I only got about halfway done with the Librarian and tac squads.

Jerre

Post by Jerre » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:20 pm

ander6 wrote:Beginning to really hate mold lines. :evil: 5 doors, 5 fins, 6 Turbine parts, 6 column parts, 5 restraint blocks, 5 weapon parts, 5 engine details, and 5 engine ports per pod (X5), all of which need to be scrapped.
I know the feeling :)
2012 HPC: Skyrar's Dark Wolves
2013 HPC: Raven Guard
2014 & 2015 HPC: Chi'quita Dynasty
2015 & 2016 HPC: Death Guard
2016 HPC: Word Bearers

ander6

Post by ander6 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:00 am

OK, hopefully I've finally kicked whatever bug that was I caught at the end of September and carried through most of October. Now I'm playing life catch up so hopefully I'll be able to actually paint again. October's goal was a miserable fail :cry: , and pictures would be embarrassing :oops: .

I did learn something over the last two months though. Painting the same color on twenty marines at a time, then switching to another color and repeating boors me to death. I know its more usually more efficient, but not if I'm so sick of that color that it make it hard for me to pick up a brush.

So I'm changing my plan of attack. I'm going to do small demi-squads of three at a time so I can see some progress and try to keep my enthusiasm up.

Also I'm now going to revise my monthly plan for a couple of reasons.
1. I have two tactical squads and two Sternguard squads that I need to finish in order to catch back up.
2. My Forge World order hasn't arrived yet. (I'm having a friend who lives in Nottingham bring it over in when they come in early November to cut down on the shipping costs)

Commitment Time:
November - 1 AoBR Dreadnought; 1 Tactical Squad; 6 Sternguard. I reserve the right to try and catch up early by painting any of my previous failures not on my commitment.

I also commit to try and post WIP pictures as I go, now that I'm feeling better and catching up on life.

Sonic Rob

Post by Sonic Rob » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:47 pm

ander6 wrote:I'm going to do small demi-squads of three at a time so I can see some progress and try to keep my enthusiasm up.
Great idea! We're all trying to find what works for us, right?

I like the scheme on Pedro, can't wait to see a unit painted up.
Bolter marines never go out of fashion. They are the little black dress of troops choices.

ander6

Post by ander6 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Well, November was again a failure, but I did get make some headway. I completed the Dreadnought, got 1 tactical squad nearly done, and work done on the Sternguard. Take a look at the pics to see the progress. I'm still trying to decide on the eye/jewel color. I did blue on Pedro, but it looks . . . meh. What do you think about red to compliment the green?

Anyway, here's the AoBR Dreadnought with a few modifications.

Here's the Tactical Squad Sergeant

And the whole squad

And the Sternguard
Last edited by ander6 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ander6

Post by ander6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Sorry I'm late again, and that December was again a fail. But, there was change and progress!

Since Santa delivered me some Forge World goodies, and the weather hadn't been cooperating to let me re-prime some bits that desperately needed it, I took the time to use my new etched brass and icon packs to differentiate and embellish my last two dreadnoughts. I built and magnetized all of the arms that came with the Venerable Dreadnought kit as well, so now I have some weapon swaps available for the two AoBR dreadnoughts. I also painted a little more on the sternguard squads from my earlier failed commitments.

Magnets for magnetizing dread arms.
Magnet installed in torso.
Hole drilled in arm ready for greenstuff and magnet.
Drill very, very carefully!
Forge World Christmas etched brass
Venerable legs magnetized to torso for easier storage. Etched brass and resin Fist accessories installed.

For my January commitment, since the weather here is still crappy for priming, I'm going to paint the rest of my drop pods (six of them, not including the redesigned Deathstorm missile pod I just got).
[Obviously I can't read my own post. My January commitment per the original layout was my scouts, not the pods. Those are for February. CH]

[picture on page 1]

If I get a nice day to prime, I'll try to do some catch up on the dreadnoughts, but no promises or commitment there. Geoff, I totally understand.
Last edited by ander6 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Painting & Modeling”