Malahat Mike - "Twenty Years of Shame" - CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Malahat Mike

Re: Malahat Mike - "Twenty Years of Shame" Black Legion

Post by Malahat Mike » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Awesome guys, thanks for the advice! I wonder how I could clean up the bases that I already have the static grass glued on. Part of my problem was, some models I had based five years ago and I was I trying to tie in newer bases to those old ones. But now that you guys are mentioning it, its standing out glaring at me.

SRM

Post by SRM » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Malahat Mike wrote:This is my 18 year old Chaos Dreadnaught that came out during 2nd Edition. It was one of the first models I finished up back in June. Obviously he's OOP and not useable, but I figured that much pewter at least deserves some respect. Its also useful for throwing through someone's window.

There's not much detail and the paint is too thick (an issue I still have). He's basically my army's tester model.

So thrilled to see this old model hanging out here! That being said, models being OOP does NOT mean they aren't usable! My whole army for the HPC is Ultramarines of that same vintage.

That being said, I dig your Black Legion, especially the lord with the axe and plasma pistol. The army's got a very late 3rd ed/4th ed feel.
Check out my Youtube channel!

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 pm

SRM wrote: So thrilled to see this old model hanging out here! That being said, models being OOP does NOT mean they aren't usable! My whole army for the HPC is Ultramarines of that same vintage.

That being said, I dig your Black Legion, especially the lord with the axe and plasma pistol. The army's got a very late 3rd ed/4th ed feel.
Thanks so much for the compliments. I wouldn't have put the effort into getting that dreadnaught painted up if I hadn't intend to put it into service once in a while. There is that "Hellbrute" formation he could sneak in to. I recently had a second old pewter dreadnought donated to me which I may paint up if time permits.

BTW I've really enjoyed going through your thread SRM. Your stuff has been a huge bit of nostalgia to me. It reminds me of so many of those old books and White Dwarves I use to drool over when I was a young teen. It really has been great seeing all of the retro armies.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:08 pm

I have been making progress on my Heldrake.

Edit: The inspiration for my Heldrake.

I wish I had all the equipment and the where with all to use an airbrush. I certainly can appreciate it doing this model. There's so much detail but much of it is monotonous. I had to remove two wings because I realized that I had put the two on reverse. So I took that opportunity to paint them up individually so they're done for all intents. So far some of the lessons I have learned doing this model.

1. Don't be too quick to assemble the whole model.
2. Paint the model while still in parts.
3. Learn to airbrush.
4. Never ever let super glue get anywhere near clear plastic.

As for that last one I made a real rookie mistake on the base.

I did the base up first and quickly (and prior to some of the great advice I was given) because I don't like the look of a flyer on a black base. I used some wood filler for some texture and added some sand and flock. Problem with the stand was it had to be glue to the wood filler. I figured I was safe to use super glue, as long as I didn't get it on the sides. I learned afterwards that its the vapours that causes the frosting. Needless to say I thought my stand was ruined. However I decided to try using a headlight lens cleaning kit I had. It included these small pads with very fine grit. Using that and some clear polish I removed the streaks of frosting to all but the bottom 1/4 inch where the pads couldn't reach. So now I'm forced to make a more interesting base in order to cover the bottom part. Which is fine by me.

So yah, white glue all the way with clear plastics. :|

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:45 am

As of the wee hours this morning I decided to put the brush down on this one. At some point I want to come back to the base (as I would the rest of the army thus far) but if I want to keep on track to getting this army done, I need to move on.

No time for celebration...
Last edited by Malahat Mike on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:01 am

...On to the 2nd Edition Plague Marines.

Another cheater unit, it's already partially painted, from ten years ago. I'm adding some more models and bring the rest up to a higher standard.
Last edited by Malahat Mike on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 am

Opps... Forgot something.

Tuatara

Re: Malahat Mike - "Twenty Years of Shame" - Heldrake DONE!

Post by Tuatara » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:39 am

That Heldrake is looking really nice.
My HPC2014 progress: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6304&p=68414#p68414
"The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Tuatara wrote:That Heldrake is looking really nice.
Thank you! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:32 am

Plague Marines are done! I upped the game on the bases some. The paints style I would describe as quick and dirty. Mainly it was two washes. I think Papa Nurgle would approve. I started scourging eBay for so cheap extra Plague Marines with special weapons and maybe a standard bearer. I realized with three more miniatures I could make two squads of seven. I actually painted up the second champion. Maybe I could get a couple of the old school Rhinos.

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”