Night Lord, fear the dark

Vladd37

Night Lord, fear the dark

Post by Vladd37 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:15 pm

I've never played a Zone Mortalis game but am very interested in trying it out. Accepting this challenge will also help me to be motivated to paint up my chaos and get me out of a 40k slump. I love the Night Lord book trilogy which is the reason why I decided to get into chaos in the first place.

So here's my list:

Huron Blackheart (Converted model to use as counts-as Night Lord, complete with winged helm)
5 Terminators: champ, chainfist, combi-melta, dual lightning claws, heavy flamer
12 cultists with autoguns, heavy stubber, and champ with shotgun
12 cultist with ccw and flamer
11 chaos marines: champ w/ pw and mb, bolters, plasma gun, heavy bolter, VotLW
15 Chaos marines: champ w/ pw, mb, GoM, trade bolters for ccw, 2xMeltaguns, VotLW

exactly 1000 points

February: Both cultist units
March: Huron Blackheart
April: 11 marines
May: 15 marines
June: Terminators

I figure I'll start with the cultists first since I've been on a Mordheim painting kick and I look at them in a similar way. It'll also give me some time to try to figure out if I want to attempt the lightning effects on power armor I've seen in various Night Lord pictures.

I guess that's all for now? Just have to post the before picture of the cultists when I'm ready to start.

Vladd37

Re: Night Lord, fear the dark

Post by Vladd37 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:49 am

before picture of the cultists
Attachments
cultists before.JPG
cultists before.JPG (93.16 KiB) Viewed 2812 times

Vladd37

Post by Vladd37 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 am

First unit of cultists are done (+1 model just because I had him and didn't want to not paint him along with his buddies). 1 more unit to go for this month and then what I think is my toughest part of the challenge is done.
Attachments
cult1 after.JPG
cult1 after.JPG (99.45 KiB) Viewed 2778 times

Waggerz

Post by Waggerz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:06 am

Good start Vladd, getting through the cannon fodder first is always a good plan.

If I could make a suggestion to give your guys a little more life, grab a bottle of wash and water it down slightly and apply it to the whole model. You will be amazed at the difference it makes to the standard colours and it's not something you need to be too exact with. Then with a few smaller highlights (of the same base colour) you bring your models to life.

I have a picture somewhere that shows the effect it can have...
http://waggerz.com/pics/warhammer/washes.jpg
(the example uses quickshade from army painter but the same can come from any brand washes)

Or just ask youtube or google to show you some clips of using washes on models. It really is great stuff.

Always try a test model first.

Of course if it's just bad lighting in the pic and you have already done highlighting and things feel free to ignore me :)

Vladd37

Post by Vladd37 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm

AHH! I knew I was forgetting something! It was late and I was excited to get the paint done, I didn't even do the wash! lol Good call! Yeah, looking at them now, a good wash will really bring them out.

Highlighting on the other hand, I haven't had much experience with. I'll have to do some research and experiment a bit with that.

Thanks Waggerz!

Waggerz

Post by Waggerz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Don't worry too much about the highlighting to start with. Use the wash, let it dry. Be happy with the results. :)

Then if you want to start playing with highlighting, grab the base colour you started with (skin for example) and re-apply it to the raised areas. Places like shoulders or muscles. Stay away from the shadows that the wash has caused. just highlight the most raised part where the wash is already thinnest.

It has the 'effect' of a three layer highlight from shadows in the folds, to highlight on the raised parts.

Once you get that part looking right then you can start experimenting with edges and different colours, but that''s to worry about later :)

You might find you are better off with brighter colours before trying the wash as well. The example pic shows how bright a model can look before you "bring it down" with a wash.

Looking forward to seeing the results :)

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:01 pm

I like patchwork cultists. They really feel like they come from all walks of life and professions. A wash will help tie it all together, but you're looking pretty good as it is. Keep up the great work.

Vladd37

Post by Vladd37 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:22 am

Finished the cultists. Overall, I'm happy with how they turned out. I like the patchwork scheme, just takes a bit longer to do than the uniform marine armor I'm used to doing. And the wash really brings it all together in the end. Looking forward to seeing these guys on the table now! (although it'll be a bit sad to see them die and leave the table lol)
Attachments
cultists final.JPG
cultists final.JPG (102.47 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Vladd37

Post by Vladd37 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Here's my finished, albeit maybe simply done, counts as Huron Blackheart. Any ideas for a familiar?

I need better lighting in the room...and maybe take pics during the day... Does this count as theme for my army?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.1 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
huron complete.jpeg
huron complete.jpeg (118.46 KiB) Viewed 2631 times

Vladd37

Post by Vladd37 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:57 am

Here's my first squad of Chaos Marines slated for April. Also, first time trying out Armorcast's Medium Muzzle flash on the Heavy Bolter. Lets see how well I can get that fire to look! I also still have my 6th edition starter Chaos models so I'm using the one with the Maul as my Sergeant/Champion.
Attachments
chaos1 before.jpg
chaos1 before.jpg (98.66 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”