Heresy era Word Bearers ‘The Dark Heart Disciples’

cavalier_ava

Re: Heresy era Word Bearers ‘The Dark Heart Disciples’

Post by cavalier_ava » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 am

This army is incredible Sonneillon. I love how rich your red is, and your use of little accent colors across the entire range is phenomenal. Props on rocking the transfers too... when done proper they look amazing. One of my favorite armies by far that I've seen on the net- keep it up you are totally rockin it!
Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7093

marked_by_chaos

Post by marked_by_chaos » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Looking great. You are going to love the Gal Vorbak. Picked up a set at the 40k open day last weekend. They are awesome. Some of the best sculpts fw and gw have ever made!

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:36 pm

marked_by_chaos wrote:Looking great. You are going to love the Gal Vorbak. Picked up a set at the 40k open day last weekend. They are awesome. Some of the best sculpts fw and gw have ever made!
Very Jealous! Was working over the weekend so wasn't able to make it down, those miniatures look incredible... Don't suppose you bought two sets... :D
cavalier_ava wrote:This army is incredible Sonneillon. I love how rich your red is, and your use of little accent colors across the entire range is phenomenal. Props on rocking the transfers too... when done proper they look amazing. One of my favorite armies by far that I've seen on the net- keep it up you are totally rockin it!
Thanks for the fantastic feedback!

Just a quick pic of a mini from my bodyguard unit for Erebus (not part of challenge)

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:30 am

August Commitment

ApostleLordVael

Post by ApostleLordVael » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:52 pm

That's an amazing model son! between the model itself and the paint job it will fit quite well next to erebus, like the helm most of all!

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:13 pm

ApostleLordVael wrote:That's an amazing model son! between the model itself and the paint job it will fit quite well next to erebus, like the helm most of all!
Thanks, I was wanting an intimidating looking group for Erebus, especially one that shows an advanced knowlage/worship of Chaos. Just finished the first one, now onto the standard bearer (thought the flag suited as it looks a little ritualistic, opposed to the standard FW banners I'll be using for the majority of the legion)

Just in the middle of trying to find the correct tone of steel and build up the depth/weathering on the Medusa.

Plus had a go at making another mini video :)

http://vid1028.photobucket.com/albums/y ... 05ec76.mp4

Only just heard about this new HH WB book ...ordered!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISg_RhKZKxI[/youtube]

marked_by_chaos

Post by marked_by_chaos » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Regarding the gun barrel maybe have a look at the imperial armour masterclass books. There is a pretty cool soot/grime effect on the cannons for some of the pieces.

I wouldn't nitpick as it looks cool, but the rusted bits at present would really be the smoother bits (albeit perhaps oily) as they would concertina on firing and polish clean as with pistons. It is the exposed parts that would dull/weather, with the end of the barrel being grimier.

That said from a purely artistic perspective it still looks cool.

On a separate point did you sculpt/cast your own honour guard? They look awesome.

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:54 pm

marked_by_chaos wrote:Regarding the gun barrel maybe have a look at the imperial armour masterclass books. There is a pretty cool soot/grime effect on the cannons for some of the pieces.

I wouldn't nitpick as it looks cool, but the rusted bits at present would really be the smoother bits (albeit perhaps oily) as they would concertina on firing and polish clean as with pistons. It is the exposed parts that would dull/weather, with the end of the barrel being grimier.

That said from a purely artistic perspective it still looks cool.

On a separate point did you sculpt/cast your own honour guard? They look awesome.
Greatly appreciated feedback, totally agree with you, I’ve started to significantly reduce the rust, instead trying to build up the texture and depth of the metal (including grease and oil stains), I’ll keep working on it and post a pic in a few days.
Its proving quite a challenge, first time painting anything this size. Also cheers for the recommendation will see if I can hunt down those masterclass books.

The bodyguard minis are kit bashed from GW and third party bits, including parts from evil craft miniatures.

marked_by_chaos

Post by marked_by_chaos » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:56 am

It is already looking very attractive visually, was more of a continuity comment I guess. Could see part of what you were going for and your use of the rust and turquoise effects are very striking across the army.

Will be worth the effort you are putting as it is one bfg. Love the medusa and am really tempted to pick one up myself. The idea of the phosphex shells in particular is a real draw.

The masterclass books are great, there is a bundle deal on forgeworld's site for both and they have some great tips and techniques.

Primebeef

Post by Primebeef » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:46 pm

The slate on your bases, is it real slate or resin? If it's real slate, how are you attaching your miniatures to the surface of the slate?

I saw your video, love the miniatures. I was getting distracted by the reflection on the mirror finish of the rotating table. If the surface of the table was covered with a black circle, it would bring the focus back to the miniatures.

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”