Heresy era Word Bearers ‘The Dark Heart Disciples’

Sonneillon

Heresy era Word Bearers ‘The Dark Heart Disciples’

Post by Sonneillon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi everyone!

As the Horus heresy novels have progressed I’ve been riveted to the story XVII legion, especially with such books as the first ‘Heretic’ and ‘Know No Fear’. Joint with the fact they now have some great miniatures from Forge World there’s nothing to stop me from building a WB force themed around the battle of Calth.

So this is going to be my first true attempt at creating a fully painted, playable army, learning from a poor previous half effort, I’m going to move forward and treat this as a real crash course in sculpting, kit bashing, painting and airbrushing techniques.

I’m in the process of drawing up a Word Bearer list, which should be ready in the next few days. In the meantime I’ll be submitting a few test pieces I’ve been working on regarding initial colour schemes and such.

Sonneillon

Re: Heresy era Word Bearers ‘The Dark Heart Disciples’

Post by Sonneillon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:45 pm

I’ve tried to portray the shade of red as a kind of symbol/status of rank. The basic foot slogging troops are a brighter red representing fresh blood to the legion while the veterans depict more of a corrupting influence with either crimson or possibly black marble armour.

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:00 pm

I kind of got carried away and painted a squad of five of these destroyers already, so while I’m not certain I can include these ones in my list I’m thinking of buying another five to use for the challenge or maybe carry on the same colour scheme for a circle of ashes unit?

Evil Space Elves

Post by Evil Space Elves » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 pm

WOW :shock:
These are some gorgeous Word Bearers! I'm not sure about the variable red/rank idea, but I am sure that the red paint jobs look outstanding. The chemical weathering on the Destroyers looks wonderful.

Watching this thread with interest. :twisted:
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

Jakartor

Post by Jakartor » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:57 pm

They look cracking mate, really cool paint job, keep up the great work !! The eye lenses on those destroyers are eavy metal standard skills, really well done.

I agree the calth storyline is one of the best ever!

Cleezy

Post by Cleezy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:01 am

Outstanding painting mate, all good in their own rights. I'm not to keen on the darker red armour but that is only credit to how good the red is on the normal marines. Those destroyers are top notch as well.

Keep up the good work

Abascantus

Post by Abascantus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:11 am

Those are astonishingly well painted! If you ever have the time, I'd love to see some tutorials for thosee effects!

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for all the really supportive comments guys!

Yeah the darker shade of red is proving quite difficult to pull off, and I’m not 100% convinced myself just yet. The idea originally came about after noticing quite a few of the WB illustrations vary in colour scheme, so it was my way of trying to incorporate the different styles

Sonneillon

Post by Sonneillon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Abascantus wrote:Those are astonishingly well painted! If you ever have the time, I'd love to see some tutorials for thosee effects!
Sure, I’ll give it a go, or if there’s anything specific you’d like to know? Once I get started I’ll take a few pics of the minis in progress :)

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”