CrayolaSmoker - Warsmith Thokcha's Iron Warband

CrayolaSmoker

Re: CrayolaSmoker - Warsmith Thokcha's Iron Warband

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:26 pm

As promised, better pictures.

As I'm pretty sure I've said before, I wanted to subtly differentiate my these guys as marked by Khorne. The first step to differentiating them was to give them a brighter bronze base than my other figures. This bronze still got the same patina wash as the regular troops, but I think starting from a brighter spot makes them that tiny bit shinier. I've also minimized the hazard striping, isolating it to the left shoulder pad. Because I kept the same amount of black on the weapons and armor plating, this lack of striping has the added effect of making the unit a little more dark and sinister as a whole.

I'm not 100% happy with the flat black, but all of my attempts to make it pop - red glazing, edge highlighting, patchwork of skulls - only made the weapons look worse. I'll let the ideas percolate a bit and see if I come up with something else. If I do, great! If I don't... these guys are considered done.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go sculpt some Dreadball turtles.

Regnak

Post by Regnak » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:56 pm

CrayolaSmoker wrote:
All my bases are belong to finished!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYUz7kx3jA[/youtube]
Man those bases are trippy! Reminds me of this scene :mrgreen:

You've done great with the armour colours. Alot of Iron Warriors come off as just silver with a black wash but you have managed to come up with a nice worn effect that make them pop.. Good work Sir, looking forward to more!
"It is better by far to be an object of fear than of respect, for one is a truth of the soul and the other an illusion of the mind."

CrayolaSmoker

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 am

Regnak wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYUz7kx3jA[/youtube]
Man those bases are trippy! Reminds me of this scene :mrgreen:
Whoa! Talk about a blast from the past. Haven't seen that since it was in theaters. The bases do kinda look like that in those pics, though I think the psychedelic look gets muted when the Iron Warriors get put on 'em...

Ooh, a segue!

I've been moving the finished models over to the finished bases as hobby permitted, finishing 'em up early this week. I figured that since I already had the camera set up for he Slaughterers, it might be nice to get pics of everybody on their bases and take stock of how the list looks currently.

SIEGE ASSAULT
Iron Palatine Gibeon w/ Breaching Squad Aerugo

Iron Aspirant Sikhote w/ Breaching Squad Ferrugo

Iron Ascendant Scoriae and his "Slaughterers"

TRENCH DEFENSE
Captain Ahnighito's Zigouilleurs

Polybolos Alpha

Polybolos Beta

AUXILLIARY
Sturm and Drang

You know, when you look at it like that, I've only 9 models to go before the Zone Mortalis list is finished! Granted, some of the above units were painted (and unbased) before the HPC started, but once every base above has a painted model on it, I'll have painted 997 points since January. I don't want to jinx it, but I feel like I've got the first half of the HPC in the bag!

The second half with my five vehicles and whatever units I decide on to reach 2000 points? Yeah. Not so much.

Regnak

Post by Regnak » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:49 am

Excellent work man... really great looking army. My fave ones have to be the Breacher squad, they look fantastic! *jealous*
"It is better by far to be an object of fear than of respect, for one is a truth of the soul and the other an illusion of the mind."

Evil Space Elves

Post by Evil Space Elves » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:51 am

My word, those finished Berzerkers are utterly bad ass. :twisted:
Absolutely love your take on them and all of the subtle weathering. The effect is beautiful.
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

Brninghalo

Post by Brninghalo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:00 pm

I love the breacher squad. I'd like to come up with a way to include a breacher type
squad for my 41st millennium World Eater army as well.

I like the blue on the bases. It is not a color that is associated with the Iron Warriors
but it works. It seems to play off the silver/iron color.

Once you've finished the ZM force, a full army pic is in order.

Thanks,
Tom

CrayolaSmoker

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement. I very much look forward to getting a full army shot once the ZM list is complete.

A couple days off in a row, and a forgiving wife wrangling the twins allowed me to finish assembling my own set of twins last night. Both "Helbrutes" are soaking in soapy water now with an eye towards getting their first layers of rust tomorrow.

A couple more pics on my blog, mostly showing off the magnetized weaponry and a multi-angle view of Sturm's pose. The left leg ended up a hair too long, but I'm still pretty happy with it.

I'll probably start painting the two simultaneously, but right now I'm liking Sturm for my May commitment.

scales

Post by scales » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:25 pm

dat rust!! awesome job on the weathering and everything else. keep at it
2014 HPC pre heresy Deathguard: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6321

learn to suffer

cavalier_ava

Post by cavalier_ava » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:54 am

Aw man these guys are lookin awesome! Sweet paint jobs on all these guys, and the modeling is excellent as well. Great work!
Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7093

cicero

Post by cicero » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:28 am

Man, I confess that I was a doubter about the green rocks, but they look *perfect* with the minis on!
Great work, you make me jealous and want to take my iron warriors out of their stasis cabinet and work on them again! :mrgreen:
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”