CrayolaSmoker - Warsmith Thokcha's Iron Warband

SavageMan23

Re: CrayolaSmoker - Warsmith Thokcha's Iron Warband

Post by SavageMan23 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:21 am

Love the bases! Enough to bring some interest to them but not so much to overpower the focal point. Your Iron Warriors look fantastic. The chevron scheme is very nice. Just curious if you are completely freehanding those or using a different method. I freehand mine and always seem to agonize over the right angle as well as the appropriate width of the bands. Never seem to have two models the same but I can live with that.
Iron Warriors-'14 Hobby Challenge
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6519
Battle Report
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7426

Evil Space Elves

Post by Evil Space Elves » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:02 pm

Yup, your Berzerkers are looking mighty badass indeed. Can't wait to see them done.
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast http://splintermind.libsyn.com/
2015 HPC Iybraesil Eldar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8028

CrayolaSmoker

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:20 am

Spriggan: Thank you. Very kind words. I hope to get them on a table eventually. I'm currently debating whether to even try to learn 6th Edition, or just war for 7th. :D
SavageMan23 wrote:Love the bases! Enough to bring some interest to them but not so much to overpower the focal point. Your Iron Warriors look fantastic. The chevron scheme is very nice. Just curious if you are completely freehanding those or using a different method. I freehand mine and always seem to agonize over the right angle as well as the appropriate width of the bands. Never seem to have two models the same but I can live with that.
Thank you, but those bases aren't done. They are done now, aside from the half that need the black edge applied, and I hope to get pics Tuesday. The hazard striping is completely freehand. I use a liner brush (for almost everything, really), because I get better control and fluidity of brush stroke with 'em. After that, I find the key is getting down a thin layer of dark brown over the black and getting that first stripe right. I use dark brown because it lets you go back and forth with the black to fix errors and straighten lines. I usually start with the middle stripe because it tends to be the longest, is usually the focal point, and becomes the guide for all other stripes on that piece of armor. Once you've got the first one precise, just hop over a little and make one parallel. Once you've got the brown stripes on, the lighter shades are just about staying within the lines.

At first, it was rather painstaking. But once you've done it on 3-4 pieces of armor over 6-7 marines, you get a rhythm to it. I came back to this army after a two year absence and painting stripes was like riding a bike. Took me a model or two to for the muscle memory to kick in, but then it just flowed. It's actually become one of the more enjoyable parts of painting these guys. It helps that it's one of the last, "Holy shit, this squad is almost done!" steps.

TheSelsword

Post by TheSelsword » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Wow dude these guys are freaking evil looking.
I have to ask and hope I didn't miss it somewhere while looking through this thread but where did the chain axes for the guy dual wielding double sided axes come from? Those are cool and I need some...

CrayolaSmoker

CrayolaSmoker - Warsmith Thokcha's Iron Warband

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 pm

TheSelsword wrote:Wow dude these guys are freaking evil looking.
I have to ask and hope I didn't miss it somewhere while looking through this thread but where did the chain axes for the guy dual wielding double sided axes come from? Those are cool and I need some...
I'm good with evil. I've always planned to use these as Heresy era or shortly thereafter Iron Warriors. Not going to be too many mutations or any of the Chaos-y beasts from the current CSM codex. They're cool models, just don't fit my idea for the army. The dual-headed axes are simple conversions of the ForgeWorld Chain Axes. Chopped the shaft off one and glued it to the back of another. Because I tend towards gap-filling glue it ended up being a pretty straight-forward conversion.

------------------------------

Meanwhile, across town...

All my bases are belong to finished!

Iron Warband Bases: all 8 units worth

The two 60mm bases are for my Chaos Dreads (Helbrutes). The top row is for my Chosen unit. The two below that are for each breaching squad. The two big blocks at the bottom are for the identical CSM squads, while the bases between them are for the Havoc squad that "leads" them.

Spent the last few hobby sessions partially as a break from painting armor, partially as a procrastination tactic on some Dreadball conversion work I seem to have lost my sculpting mojo for. Because of some failed starts in 2012, I had no clue how I was going to paint them, I only that I wanted to include green at the recommendation of one of the painting friends I look most up to. I decided on a mix warm and cold colors partially to experiment with something new and partially to help compliment the figures instead of compete with them. I realize the colors start to look a bit unnatural, but I still dig 'em anyway.

The base red-brown was airbrushed, then dry-brushed with a couple different shades of blue-green. The metals were glazed multiple times with various brownish reds and oranges 'till they looked rusty enough, and the rocks/concrete/wood got various green washes. I like the colors as a whole, and I liked them with the test mini I kept holding up during painting. However, I'm a little apprehensive about how they'll compliment the army as a whole. We'll see when I start putting them on bases later this week.
Last edited by CrayolaSmoker on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cicero

Post by cicero » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:32 pm

I realy dig your bases. I think they have great visual interest in them and will accent your models well.

I think they might benefit from a little typhus corrosion... used as a wash, or thick to provide a filthy crusty blend between different elements might help tie them in with the brown/dirty look of your models.

But they are super unique and I really look forward to whatever you end up doing with them.
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

TheSelsword

Post by TheSelsword » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 am

Thanks for tip. I will have to make some if those now. :)

SRM

Post by SRM » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 am

Wow! I can't believe I haven't stumbled across this thread before. Your Iron Warriors are looking tight! That rusty armor technique rules, and those caution striped shields look all kinds of badass. I also dig that you're going with the no-nonsense (and very fluffy) route for your Iron Warriors and abstaining from the crazier mutations and such. Anyway, caution stripes for the caution stripe god!
Check out my Youtube channel!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 am

Some really great work here, Crayola, overall.

I must say though, the bases, particularly the color and patina of the main grravel are very remeniscent of the run-down industrial sites I used to trespass on when I was a kid.

Everything is very authentic-looking throughout. You should be proud. Im looking forward to more.

CrayolaSmoker

Post by CrayolaSmoker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Stayed up last night to finish my March commitment and stay one month ahead of schedule. Two for two! I think that's a new personal record!

I plan to post better pics later today, and pledge to my April commitment sometime next week. I've got Breaching Squad Aeurgo about 1/3 done, but I've also got a Dread conversion playing out in my head. With exactly 1 month 'till we leave for Chicago, I kinda need to be going full-steam on Adepticon prep...

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”