Badgers' Undivided Chaos Scraps!- FINISHED on 11-30-14!

screamingbadgers

Re: Badgers' Undivided Chaos Scraps!

Post by screamingbadgers » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:30 pm

Like clockwork, I get my obligations in at the absolute last minute(9pm on the last day, go me).

This time was Doomrider/miscellaneous Slaaneshi Lord. He came out pretty well:

His paints are all over the place- fittingly, I used most of the paints that went into the Noise Marines. I started off simply enough, with Abbadon Black over Imperial Primer. His armor is Genestealer Purple over Pallid Wych Flesh on the greaves, Ultramarines Blue and Boltgun Metal for feet, Mournfang Brown and Boltgun Metal for the studded leather on his legs and sword-arm, Genestealer Purple and Yriel Yellow for the sword-arm's pauldron, Boltgun Metal and Shining Gold for his chestplate, and Blazing Orange , Yriel Yellow, and Genestealer Purple for his screaming-faces pauldron.

His face and horns are Pallid Wych Flesh, with an Agrax Earthshade ink over the face to give him a face. The hairfire is Khorne Red and Yriel Yellow. The sword is Abbadon Black, Shining Gold, and Boltgun Metal. His sidearm(unfortunately not pictured) is Shining Gold and Fenrisian Grey. His replacement backpack is Ultras Blue with a Boltgun Metal drybrush.

The bike is mostly Boltgun Metal and Shining Metal for trim. The flamer/melta-looking gun on the front is Khorne Red. The engine block got a dab of Agrax Earthshade. His seat is done in Dwarf Flesh. The bike's skullface is done in Dheneb Stone, with Pallid Wych Flesh and Khorne Red for the eyes and Pink Horror for the tongue. Also, I didn't realize at first that it was a crazy stoner-skull. Check it out:

Crazy stuff.

Overall, this model was pretty fun to paint. There's a lot of detail and it never really repeats itself. the skull's chin is one of those things that pops out at you as you wonder what you're going to do with that strange pointy bit between the melta nozzles. Let's hope Doomrider shows back up so we can get a rerelease, or at least a better excuse to run him.

Anyway, on to September!

On a whim, I picked up a Slaughterbrute model a while ago. The Defiler legs I painted up as a Maulerfiend last year are showing some real worrying cracks, and I want a Mauler that will fit properly on a base. The Slaughterbrute is the perfect size, and it's an awesome model I promised myself I'd get to do something with. However, once I'd put it together I realized that it's a very fleshy proxy model for what is supposed to be a walker. After a little brainstorming, I wondered if I could pull off making the 'Brute body look like an outer shell being meat-puppeted by a machine mounted inside the body cavity.

So of course I gave it TVs for a face.

I've got the 'Fiend kit's Lasher Tendrils kicking about still, so I'm gonna fill out the stump-hole with those and some other doodads. Besides that, I'm going to see if I can get some metal stuff emerging from the Brute-Fiend's body to sell the skin-suit idea.

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 pm

End of September means I post just before the deadline, so here's the Mauler!

The skin is Mournfang Brown with Yriel Yellow drybrush, focused on the armor ridges and claws. The claws on its hands and hooves are in Dheneb Stone, and the cuts on his back and empty parts of the face-fole are Khorne Red. The tendrils and monitors are in Boltgun Metal and, though it's hard to see, there're more tendrils poking out beside the screens. The eyes are Pallid Wych Flesh, Ultramarines Blue, and Abbadon Black.

I also took a shot of the Mauler's back, since there's some cool detail there:

There are metal hooks at the end of each cut on the Mauler's back, made out of greenstuff and colored Boltgun Metal. I like to imagine those hooks tugging on the Mauler's spine to puppet it around across the battlefield.

For next month, I've got another project I've been working on for a while now. I picked up a box of plastic Chaos Warriors a while back, and the first thing I did was start sticking Chaos Marine parts to them. The second thing I did was lose interest and stop, so it's about time I get back to it.

There are a couple guys who need arms, so that'll be the first step before painting. The Icon guy in particular(off to the right) needs both left and right arms. I'll try to get a before shot up before moving on to painting proper.

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:22 pm

That's the only feasible use of a slaughter brute that I have ever seen. Looks awesome!
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:23 pm

Happy Halloween everyone! I get to lead a post off with something besides a nod to my own tardiness!

True to form, the Chaos Warrior-Marines are done just before deadline, and here they are:

Their armor and cloaks are done in Boltgun Metal and Mournfang Brown respectively, with the collars in Dheneb Stone and leg-plates in Auric Armor Gold. What bare skin there is is Dwarf Flesh , and most of the skulls are done in Pallid Wych flesh. The tree-thing on the Icon-bearer is done in Knarloc Green for the trunk and Elysian Green and Yriel Yellow for the pudgy thing living in there. Tears in the armor on the Champion and Icon-bearer are Khorne Red. The details- so many more details than I thought there would be- are Dryad Bark, Dheneb Stone, Fenrisian Grey, Mournfang Brown, Boltgun Metal, Auric Armor, Khorne Red, Yriel Yellow, Pallid Wych Flesh, and probably some others I'm forgetting. There's a lot going on with these guys.

Next month is the home stretch! Bikers!

I picked these guys up mostly second-hand. The one biker in front that's mostly colored has been around a while, but the rest were picked up used, and they've fallen apart a bit since then. There's gonna be some major repair work before they're set for re-priming. Heck, partially-painted guy doesn't even have handlebars anymore.

Also, these are the one thing on the list I've been dreading. I'm not good at painting Bikers, and the half-hearted effort I put into the first round of Bikers I bought has put me off them for a while(look at partially-painted guy again. His bike is solid Boltgun because I have no idea what to do with it). Doomrider went a little better, so I'm hoping I can get something useful done with this lot

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:44 am

Good news, those bikers weren't able to do me in after all.

First off, an in-progress shot of the repairs needed to get this lot into fighting trim:

Half of the bikers needed arms, and some of the arms already in place had to be either reattached or replaced as they fell off during reconstruction. You might notice several guys with paired chainswords- I don't know if I have any more biker arms and they were a handy stand-in. Also, the second Plasma Gunner and Icon Bearer got their key equipment, pauldrons were reattached at every opportunity, and at least one guy has a handlebar made entirely of paperclip.

The paintjob is another basic set of colors. Boltgun Metal for Bikes(it just seems right) and Elysian Green with Dheneb Stone trim for Marines. The rest of the paints are detail as-needed. Searchlights are in Yriel Yellow, Plasmaguns are in Auric Armor Gold, the growth surrounding one of the Plasma Guns is in Mournfang Brown, the leather seats on the Chaos Bikes are Dwarf Flesh, there are leather holsters on a handful of models that were done in Mournfang Brown, and the skulls on the front were done in Dheneb Stone. On top of that, a wash of Agrax Earthshade to mute any color back down to 'bleak'.

I feel like this unit came together okay. The models themselves are a mix of second-hand and abandoned projects from when I was still getting into the game. The prime on several of them is actually chunky enough to obscure the Chaos Stars near the rider's legs. The paintjob was intentionally simple to match my recent Nurgle pieces, but I feel like something more could have been done with them.

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:07 am

One more post today; now that the Bikers are completed, I'm all finished!

First, the entirety of Part 2:

Of these models, I definitely had the most fun with the Maulerfiends. Doomrider was a good time, but converting the scrapyard Mauler was an absolute blast, and hunting down a magnet/magnetic piece to use in his eye was a proper adventure. As far as final results go, I was most pleased with the results on the Chaos Marines(the headswapped Chaos Warriors). They came out surprisingly cleanly for a project that's been on the backburner for years and years.

It feels good to get this many projects actually done. Building and converting is the best part of the hobby for me, but I usually can't drag myself to paint without good reason. Now that I've been through the IC challenge twice, this might be the most productive two years I've had for painting.

Overall, I had a blast, and I've already caught myself thinking about what to put on the docket for next year. Thanks to the Independent Characters for running, and to anyone who's been keeping up with this thread! See you in 2015!

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”