Badgers' Undivided Chaos Scraps!- FINISHED on 11-30-14!

screamingbadgers

Badgers' Undivided Chaos Scraps!- FINISHED on 11-30-14!

Post by screamingbadgers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey there, IC! Time for me to get a painting thread lurching into motion for the year to come. I've got more of my (sadly unfinished) Chaos collection up on the painting block, though with a more unfocused theme this time out. First up, the list:

EDIT: Expanding to the full list, now that we're into July:

Primary Detachment
HQ:
Chaos Lord w/ Mark of Slaanesh, Chaos Bike, Sigils of Corruption, Murder Sword, Dimensional Key, Gift, Meltabombs, Ichor Blood- 235
Chaos Lord w/ Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigils of Corruption, Gift- 180

Troop:
10x Noise Marines w/ 7x Sonics, 2x Blastmasters, Power Weapon- 276
5x Noise Marines w/ 3x Sonics, 1x Blastmaster, Power Weapon- 149

Heavy:
Maulerfiend w/ Melta Cutters- 125

Fast:
10x Bikers w/ Mark of Nurgle, 2x Plasmaguns, Icon of Wrath, Veterans of the Long War, Gift of Chaos, Power Sword, Meltabombs- 360

Second Detachment
HQ:
Daemon Prince w/ Level 3 Psyker, Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Power Armor, Spell Familiar, Gift - 320

Troop:
9x Chaos Marines w/ Added Close Combat Weapon, Icon of Wrath, and Power Axe 180
10x Cultists w/ Pistols - 50

Total: 2000

Below is the first wave, without the additional stuff from the second.

HQ
Chaos Lord w/ Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigils of Corruption- 170

Elite:

Troop:

Buffer HQ-
Daemon Prince w/ Misc- ~350 points

(I have no idea how many points the rest of my list will run, or if I'll go with something else in the end, so this big ol' pointsink will fill any number of points i need him to, from 150 to 350 points. The fact he can take almost any upgrade without needing remodeling is pretty handy for this.)

Some notes about the picture above: most of the Noise Marines need to be properly finished, and their Champions actually need arms. Most of my work in month 1 is going to be finishing them up, and getting the Chaos Lord redone slightly. You might notice he's balancing a tube of chapstick and nail-clippers on his axe. His axe broke, and the fix involves weighing it down while the glue sets. Fortunately, it's pinned. There's also a spare plastic Jugger next to him- I can't stand painting metal, so I might replace the current Jugger with that one.

All told, the only unit properly ready for painting is the 50-point Cultist filler. Good way to start.

EDIT: Posting full picture now that everything's finished.

Last edited by screamingbadgers on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

screamingbadgers

Re: Badgers' Undivided Chaos Scraps!

Post by screamingbadgers » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Squeaking in just under the wire. Not much to say except that my goal for all things Slaanesh is to make their paintscheme as discordant as possible. Lots of real ugly, vibrant colors. Also, poor guy harvested the wrong glove.

Before(second pic to show off the champ's conversion):

After:

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:02 am

Time to post up my before shot for March. It's a Daemon Prince, so chosen for Zone Mortalis simply so he can get stuck in doorways.

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Daemon Prince is done!

The skin is done in Mournfang Brown and the webbing on his wings is Genestealer Purple. Details are Dheneb Stone for teeth, claws, and horns; Auric Armor Gold for the shoulderguards and racing stripes up his legs; and Boltgun Metal for his belt, bracers, axe, and hornguards(hornamentation?). It's not very visible, but the rock he's standing on is Astronomican Grey with Dheneb Stone stipling and his eyes are Khorne Red. The ink is Agrax Earthshade.

Next up, for April:

I've been running with the Juggerlord since the 6th ed book came out- not terribly clever, but it's a brutal setup for a Chaos Lord. This guy in particular, has seen play in just about every 6th ed tournament I've been in. It's about time I paint him up.

The plastic jugger is there because I'm not sure if I want to paint the metal one, so I'm including the option here as a potential conversion.

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:46 pm

The Jugger Lord is all set. Anyone following along can probably guess the set of colors involved; Khorne Red and Auric Armor Gold make up the Lord and his trim. The Jugger is painted in a mix of Dryad Bark and Khorne Red- I kinda like the dark, scabby color that came out- and Boltgun metal for trim. There are some details on both Jugger and Lord that're done in Boltgun Metal, Auric Armor Gold, Pallid Wych Flesh, and Dheneb Stone

For next month, I'm moving on to the bulk of my Noise Marines. After getting a feel for these guys in March, I feel like doing some more with the nice, simple Boltgun-and-Pink look I had for the champion rather than the intentionally busy look of the other four. So I think I'll do this champion with a clashy-busy look to fit in with the five-man team and do this squad up in the simpler scheme.

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Sat May 31, 2014 12:41 am

As per my idiom, it's the last minute and I have results! First, a picture of the unbuilt Champion with the two Blastmasters:

Now, the final product:

Sure enough, these guys were an easier paintjob than the others. They're a Boltgun Metal basecoat with an obnoxious color for trim, including Horror Pink, Genestealer Purple, Ultramarines Blue, and other colors. The Sonic Blasters are done in Pallid Wych flesh, to set them apart from the other unit.

The Champion has a Khorne Red basecoat(That's gonna cause problems) with Ultramarines Blue and Horror Pink on his shoulderpads and left greave, with Auric Armor Gold trim on the other greave and his helmet.

The front Blastmaster has a Horror Pink basecoat with details in Pallid Wych flesh, Boltgun Metal, Mournfang Brown, and Auric Armor Gold. The other, older Blastmaster has every color I've mentioned in this post somewhere on his body. He was annoying to do, but came out great.

For next month, I have something not very special:

More Cultists, whooo. I already have Cultists in browns and greens, so I'll probably do these up in one of the darker colors I used on the Noise Marines, keep the project somewhat consistent.

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:10 pm

I've got those Cultists done, and that means my Wave 1 is complete! First up, those Cultists:

Their skin is Pallid Wych Flesh- I'm really liking this for really clean white colors- and their Clothes are Blazing Orange. Mind, the Champion's Robes are Blood Red. Their weapons and metal details are Boltgun Metal. Not much else to say about Cultists.

Group shot!

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Next step, expanding!

Here's what I've got lined up for the second wave:

Chaos Lord w/ Mark of Slaanesh, Chaos Bike, Sigils of Corruption, Murder Sword, Dimensional Key, Gift, Meltabombs, Ichor Blood, Combat Familiar- 250

10x Bikers w/ Mark of Nurgle, 2x Plasmaguns, Icon of Wrath, Veterans of the Long War, Gift of Chaos, Power Sword, Meltabombs- 360

As it stands in wave one, I'm pretty well covered on Troops if I can get those Noise Marines changed to Troops. So I'm going to bring in a second detachment. An incoming Slaaneshi Lord will make those Noise Marines into Troops in the Primary and the Daemon Prince, the Cultists, and new Chaos Marines can fill out the other detachment. Then I can focus on filling out the rest of the Primary with Maulerfiends and Bikers.

And here's the list with wave two included:

Primary Detachment
HQ:
Chaos Lord w/ Mark of Slaanesh, Chaos Bike, Sigils of Corruption, Murder Sword, Dimensional Key, Gift, Meltabombs, Ichor Blood- 235
Chaos Lord w/ Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigils of Corruption, Gift- 180

Troop:

Second Detachment
HQ:
Daemon Prince w/ Level 3 Psyker, Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Power Armor, Spell Familiar, Gift - 320

Troop:

Total: 2000

As a note to pre-painting work, those Chaos Marines are only mostly finished, and the Bikers are in a really sorry state. I'll likely be repairing/finishing them alongside painting the other models. I'll see about in-progress shots as they come together.

First on the docket is a Maulerfiend I've been waiting to do for a while now:

I find myself falling into an odd pattern- a trifecta of sorts- with new entries in codexes. First, I'll convert an old model I've already got to fit the new unit(anyone who had an eye on my models from last year will remember the Defiler-fiend I whipped up). Next, I'll buy an actual model and do something clever with that(also from last year, the two-clawed Eye-fiend). The last of the three is always a completely scratchbuilt monstrosity, and that's the Maulerfiend I've got here. He's made up of parts from a Defiler, Trukk, Sentinel, and a little Drop Pod to boot. Work on him is going to involve adding some kind of face, or altering that hole in his front to make a passable maw.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:15 pm

AWESOME! I wanna see it with a coat of primer on it!

screamingbadgers

Post by screamingbadgers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:22 pm

Loopy wrote:AWESOME! I wanna see it with a coat of primer on it!
No primed shots I'm afraid, but I do have some a shot of the maw-socket/eye-hole thing on his front, now that it's properly built up.

The socket is the cupola from a Trukk with a tank-hatch glued in the back with a magnet. The eye(of course it's an eye) is a Guard spotlight with a thumbtack driven into the back of it. Takes the magnet pretty well.

When it came time to paint, I felt like that single eye had a calm look to it- I wanted to play that up in the expression I painted on the eye.

The body is a patchwork of old paintjobs. The front hull is Vermin Brown, Dheneb Stone, and Yriel Yellow drybrush- same or similar to the Maulerfiend I painted for last year's contest(this torso originally went with that 'Fiend's defiler legs, natch). The Boltgun Metal/Auric Armor Gold arm shares a color scheme with another of my defilers. I've had that defiler armor plate just above the eye for a while, and it's always been Ultramarines Blue and Boltgun Metal, so those colors went right back on over the primer. The rest are a combination of Mournfang Brown, Boltgun Metal, and Ryza Rust.

The eye is Elysian Green, with Yriel Yellow for the eye itself. The design is Abaddon Black, Blazing Orange, and Khorne Red, and it is much more smug than I was going for. It's a good thing he's got a 5+ invul, because that's easily the most punchable face I've ever painted.

Next up is the Slaaneshi Biker Lord. Technically, it's Doomrider's model, but he's on sabbatical or something. He'll do fine as a Chaos Lord for now.

Notably, I've got to either find his metal backpack or replace it with another. Otherwise, he should be good to go.

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”