Warpoet's Plague Marines--Army Complete!

Forum rules
warpoet

Warpoet's Plague Marines--Army Complete!

Postby warpoet » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello, all.

A year or so back, I got a pile of classic metal space marines (mostly Nurgle-centric) that I supplemented, at least in theory, with a couple of new purchases. These are still sitting in the box. (Shrink wrapped, even!)

Couple that with a Dark Vengeance set I swapped about with a friend (so I got the Chaos goodies), and I've got a lot of unpainted odds and ends about.

I am aiming to get a lot of bang for the buck per model, to contrast with the infantry-heavy Ork army I already have that needs a U-Haul to transport around.

I also have a spiffy conversion planned for my Chaos Lord: he's gonna tool around on a Necromunda Caller rat beast monster counted as a palanquin of Nurgle.

So here's the first 1000-point list:

Lord with Mark of Nurgle, a palanquin, the Black Mace, and Sigil of Corruption: 190 points June Commitment Finished!

11 Plague Marines, a power fist for the champion, a flamer, and a plasma gun: 298 points Commitment For February Done!

11 Plague Marines, a power fist for the champion, and a plasma gun: 298 points Commitment For March Done!

2 Hellbrutes: 210 points Commitment for April and May Done!
Total points: 996

The weird size on the units is to help me get within striking distance of the 1000-point minimum.

When I expand out to 2000, I will add some rhinos, a Maulerfiend, a pile of cultists, and some other assorted odds and ends.

WIP shots still to come!

Here's the 2000-point list, first posted down on page five, but also put here now for ease of access.

Chaos Lord (finished)
-Mark of Nurgle
-Palanquin
-Black Mace
-Sigil of Corruption

10 Plague Marines (finished)
-Power Fist
-Plasma Gun

Rhino (finished)

10 Plague Marines (finished)
-Power Fist
-Plasma Gun

Rhino (finished)

15 Chaos Space Marines (finished)
-Mark of Nurgle
-Power Fist
-Heavy Bolter
-Flamer
-Icon of Despair

15 Cultists (Finished!)
-Autoguns
-Heavy Stubber
-Mark of Nurgle

2 Helbrutes with Multimeltas (finished)

Maulerfiend (finished!)

5 Terminators (Finished)
-Reaper
-Veterans of the Long War
-Power Fist

Chaos Landraider (Finished)
-Dirge Caster
Last edited by warpoet on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:42 am, edited 15 times in total.

warpoet

Re: Warpoet's Plague Marines

Postby warpoet » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Here's a picture of the clamshells and some marines I started to put together.

Boy, I hadn't realized how much I missed gluing plastic to metal. Which is to say, I didn't miss it at all.

Whippersnappers have no idea how good it is to model in the age of plastic.

Loopy
IC Staff

Postby Loopy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Those old models are pretty rad.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Postby cvtuttle » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:27 pm

warpoet wrote:Here's a picture of the clamshells and some marines I started to put together.

Boy, I hadn't realized how much I missed gluing plastic to metal. Which is to say, I didn't miss it at all.

Whippersnappers have no idea how good it is to model in the age of plastic.

Plastic plus metal definitely sucks!
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

warpoet

Postby warpoet » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:03 pm

cvtuttle wrote:
Plastic plus metal definitely sucks!

But it does give each model a satisfying heft.

warpoet

Postby warpoet » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Look on my awful photo skills, ye Mighty, and despair!

(Seriously, I've got to figure out the lighting situation.)

First up we have five pasty fellows, largely "done." I say "done" because I am still sorting out the basing situation, and frankly, there are always details to be picked out.

Say "grilled cheese."

I am going with a basically green basecoat, but appropriately chaotically variable. The green is a mix that varies from model to model, but I am hoping the effect lends variety as well as a common structure. Then I let a wash do its work. For these I used multiple washes of Typhus Corrosion, Devlan Mud, and whatever else I had within reach.

I decided to do the trim in brass. It might still be too shiny. Some of the new verdigris effects paint might be in my future.

These fellows are next up. Maybe you can see the differences in the basecoats.

I've got a powerfist guy in there that uses the classic metal Plague Marine body and a new plastic powerfist and shoulder pads. For, you know, chaos.

Also included in the shot are the three paints I used for the basecoating.

Plagues and butter tarts, for all!

warpoet

Postby warpoet » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Hello and Happy New Year, everyone.

Here is my latest batch of plague fellows. They turned out a bit darker than the last batch, but I attribute that to a different basecoat/wash combo. I prefer the greener guys, but these gentlemen will look fine when mixed across units, I think.

Also included are the next three plague marines I assembled. One isn't a plague marine, specifically, but I'll paint him as one and he'll fit fight in.

Also included for your delight is a Noise Marine I found rummaging through my Closet of Shame (where I keep all the assorted hobby nonsense). I used to have an Emperor's Children army, back in the day, and he--along with a small pile of EC shoulder pads--was tucked away with some bits.

Maybe I need to work him in somehow.

warpoet

Postby warpoet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Here's a group shot of all my latest assembled guys. Seriously, can I complain more about gluing plastic to metal?

This heavy bolter marine wasn't in my original list, but I think I'll rewrite it to include him I like the model a lot--even though it's a bog standard chaos marine, his look should blend well with the actual plague marine models. Plus, he went through this to get all right like:

Hopefully a base coat tonight and some real paint in the coming days.

Teddyrj

Postby Teddyrj » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:19 pm

You know that just coz you play chaos dosnt mean you have to touter your own guys right?

warpoet

Postby warpoet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Teddyrj wrote:You know that just coz you play chaos dosnt mean you have to touter your own guys right?

I'll admit that, even with 2 and 3/4 English degrees, I have no idea what you mean.

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”