MinisterofPork-Death Guard-Complete! 2nd half summary pg.13

Ministerofpork

Re: Minister of Pork- Death Guard- October complete!

Post by Ministerofpork » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:48 am

cicero wrote:Those look great! Have you painted over the Agrellan earth? It looks really nice... Very classic chaos feel :) I agree get some typhon on up in here!
Thanks, and as far as Agrellan Earth, yes. I just use texture paints and the agrellan earth for my bases.
Malahat Mike wrote:
How was the Spartan to assemble? I've been eyeing it and but I've never assembled a forge world model.
The spartan was ok to assemble. It's all resin so its real heavy and if you get it warped piece it may be trouble, but mine was pretty good. The sicarran and the rhinos were very easy to assemble, the fire raptor was awful, the spartan is somewhere in the middle.

Jbear

Post by Jbear » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Dude I love your Death Guard they look frickin awesome :o , one of the reasons I've started my own Death Guard army. Could you give a guide of how you painted them as everytime I've tried to sit down and paint my own they just don't look how I hoped they would.

Cheers

P.S the grave wardens look awesome :D

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Ministerofpork wrote: The spartan was ok to assemble. It's all resin so its real heavy and if you get it warped piece it may be trouble, but mine was pretty good. The sicarran and the rhinos were very easy to assemble, the fire raptor was awful, the spartan is somewhere in the middle.
Hmmm... Though the Sicarran doesn't have any direct rules for 40K CSM (unlike the Spartan or Fire Raptor) I suppose there's nothing really stopping my army from having one. I've really liked it but I always assume it was hands off for my army. Overall the 30K stuff just makes the 40K Chaos stuff seem silly. Mark 2-4 and those Termies: very sexy. Oye I'm getting hot under the collar.

My plan was for the Spartan to become Abaddon's personal chariot with a load of his upgrade Termies retinue. Mostly just for fun/big games.

Ministerofpork

Post by Ministerofpork » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Jbear wrote:Dude I love your Death Guard they look frickin awesome :o , one of the reasons I've started my own Death Guard army. Could you give a guide of how you painted them as everytime I've tried to sit down and paint my own they just don't look how I hoped they would.

Cheers

P.S the grave wardens look awesome :D
Awesome, thanks! Anything I can do to get more death guard out there! For my guys I do the following...

1. prime black (I use krylon flat black camouflage spar)
2. Then I hit them with tan krylon camo paint at a 45 degree angle to create some simple shading.
3. Wash with agrax earth shade
4. dry brush bleach bone...I don't know what the "new" GW equivalent of this is...I haven't had to replace it it.
5. dry brush up to long beard grey...usually after step 4 I dry brush 1-2 other light grey colors... I've used a couple of variations of this but most recently have been using ulthuan grey and then long beard grey. You will need to do a few passes (very lightly) of each color.

thats it! It's super simple. I have played around with some extra steps with washing sepharim sepia to get a more brown-white look but haven't been as happy as I am with the grey-white.

I will add that for my vehicles and grave wardens I airbrushed them instead of dry brushing them...but honestly the results are the same. If you do have an airbrush and a bunch of guys the airbrush is the way to go. After step 3 I airbrush on 3 different white/greys each at a higher angle to create more shading. I use vallejo air USAF light grey then white grey and finally just a "spritz" of pure white from directly on top of the model. Hope this helps.
Malahat Mike wrote:
Hmmm... Though the Sicarran doesn't have any direct rules for 40K CSM (unlike the Spartan or Fire Raptor) I suppose there's nothing really stopping my army from having one. I've really liked it but I always assume it was hands off for my army. Overall the 30K stuff just makes the 40K Chaos stuff seem silly. Mark 2-4 and those Termies: very sexy. Oye I'm getting hot under the collar.

My plan was for the Spartan to become Abaddon's personal chariot with a load of his upgrade Termies retinue. Mostly just for fun/big games.
Thats how I started...at first I just wanted to make different, cooler looking CSM, but with all the awesome models I just got sucked in. Now I just follow the rule of cool, if the model looks neat I'm going to get one and paint it up.

cornu mortem

Post by cornu mortem » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Great looking army, & best forum name ever.

Ministerofpork

Post by Ministerofpork » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:46 am

Ok, here's a big 'ol Typhon photo dump...

sinister photo...

with fancy base...

Ministerofpork

Post by Ministerofpork » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:55 am

Here's a few more...I'm having an issue with lighting lately. I'm going to need to play with the set up on my foldio lights.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:31 am

What hotness! Does the grate Typhus is standing on come out of the smaller base to mount into the larger one?

And why do I picture that fan below him blowing up his loin clothe in a Marilyn Monroe moment?

Ministerofpork

Post by Ministerofpork » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Malahat Mike wrote:What hotness! Does the grate Typhus is standing on come out of the smaller base to mount into the larger one?
Yeah, the grate is on a normal termie base that can slot into the big display base. There is a part of the large base that is separate, I just put a magnet in it to allow the big guy to stand where he wants.
Malahat Mike wrote:And why do I picture that fan below him blowing up his loin clothe in a Marilyn Monroe moment?
Because deep in your heart you love Nurgle AND Slaanesh equally.

SRM

Post by SRM » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:47 pm

I think Typhon is my favorite infantry model you've painted thus far. He just looks so menacing and dirty! Also, as much as I like your infantry, the weathering on your vehicles is seriously top notch.
Check out my Youtube channel!

Return to “Chaos Space Marines & Traitor Legions”