Welcome to the 2013 Independent Characters Hobby Progress Challenge. This was a big success for us last year and we have had a lot of people requesting another go at it. So here we are!
The goal of the challenge is for you to have an tournament level 1850 painted point army by the end of the challenge.
This years challenge differs in some significant ways from the previous years challenge. It should be more flexible and allow you to make more changes and gear the challenge to meet your specific needs.
Here are the rules around this years challenge:
- Start a thread in the IC’s 2013 Hobby Progress Challenge thread in the following format: Name – Army
- Post your list in the thread. Please do not post point values for individual models and their equipment as this could violate GW Copyright), but you can post total points per unit.
- Each month you must complete painting at least one unit, vehicle or Independent Character to tournament standards (3 color minmum).
- Please show before and after pictures to get credit for a model or unit.
- If you have fewer units than months in the challenge, you just have to complete the painted army.
- If at any time you exceed the painting challenge (ie: You complete your entire army prior to the challenge being over) you still qualify for the grandprize.
- You must have the entire 1850 army completed by November 30th 2013.
- We will accept models that are already primed, basecoated, or stripped. They do not have to be NEW but this should be their starting point.
- You are allowed to change your army or list at any time, but you MUST have the completed 1850 (fieldable) army, which is painted during the contest, at the end of the challenge to qualify.
- Allies can be a part of the 1850 list, but it must conform to force org/playable standards.
Hobby Progress Challenge FAQ:
Q: What if I complete my whole army ahead of schedule?
A: There is no penalty for completing your army early! If you do, you qualify for all entries into the Grand Prize and Participants Prize drawings.
Q: I have already started painting an army and I am about halfway done. Can I just build on that for my entry into The Hobby Progress Challenge?
A: The purpose of the challenge is to all work together to drive each other to meet our goals from beginning to end. However, we also understand that not everyone wants to run out and buy a brand new army right now while they are in the process of working on one. So we have compromised on this a little bit. Once you have provided a list for your army, you should indicate which units are already painted on the list. You should then come up with an expansion to your army which is equal to the number of points that you have painted already. You can then use these units to supplement your army. These units can even be ally units for your main force.
Q: When do I have to put up my commitment for the month?
A: You MUST put up your commitment for the coming month prior to the 1st of the month. Likewise, the completion of your commitment must be BEFORE the 1st of the following month. (So the last day of the month)
Q: When does the challenge start?
A: The challenge officially starts in January. You do NOT have to post list or your first unit choice prior to January. Just publish your before pictures and list before you get started.
Q: What if my models are already primed and/or basecoated?
A: This is fine. Just make sure you paste the picture of them in their primed/basecoated condition. We aren't going to be too stickler about this here. But the idea is that you are working from a clean palette. So models that you have purchased on ebay and then stripped/primed are fine. We don't need to see the models prior to assembly!
Q: Can I use Forge World units or build a Horus Heresy 30k Army?
A: You absolutely can! We love both of these things and really the whole point of the challenge is to help you get painted what YOU want to get painted! (Added 12/23/12)
Q: I don't live in the United States. Can I still participate and win prizes?
A: You better believe it! This challenge is open to the global community. We have listeners from around the globe and wouldn't dream of excluding any of you. (Added 12/23/12)
Q: I have an army already and I would just like to expand on that army. Can I do that?
A: You sure can. You can work on additional units, even allies, but you will need to complete painting 1850 points of models to qualify for the Grand Prize. These units should all be playable with your current army as an expansion or as allies. (Added 12/23/12)
Q: What about a Warhammer Fantasy Army? Can I paint that instead of a 40k Army?
A: The Independent Characters is a 40k Specific show and while we hold no grudge against our "square basing" cousins, we really want to limit the scope of our challenge to 40k only. However, you are in luck! If you check out Ben Curry over at Bad Dice Podcast is doing a Fantasy version of the Hobby Progress Challenge! You can find all of the detail here: (Added 01/07/13)
http://baddice.co.uk/announcing-the-bad ... challenge/
Q: The Challenge has already started, is it too late for me to join?
A: Nope! You can join at any time. The only drawback to joining later is that you get fewer entries into the Prize Drawings, as you have participated for fewer months. So start painting! (Added 01/07/13)