Frank - Tau Empire 4th Sphere Expansion

frankr

Frank - Tau Empire 4th Sphere Expansion

Post by frankr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:12 am

For this years challenge I decided on the Tau I stripped and haven't gotten to re-paint yet.

I tried to stick with models that I think will still be current and usable after the new codex (rumored May) or that I converted; that makes the list a bit short on points and not very competitive until then.

HQ: 152
  • Commander Shas'o - TL Plasma/Missile Launcher, multi-tracker, HW Drone & 2 shield drones
Troops: 414
  • 11x fire warriors w/Pulse Rifles
    + Shas'ui w/bonding knife & HW Blacksun filter
Fast: 476
  • 2x DX-6 Remora Drone Fighters
  • 3x Pathfinders
    + Shas'ui w/HW Blacksun Filter, HW Target Lock, HW Drone Controler + 2 Marker Drones
    + Devilfish w/Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Flechette Dischargers, Sensor Spines
Heavy: 685
  • Hammerhead w/Railgun, Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Multi-Tracker, Sensor Spines, Target Lock
  • Skyray w/Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Multi-Tracker, Sensor Spines, Target Lock
  • 2x Broadsides w/Targeting Array
    + Shas'ui w/Targeting Array, HW Blacksun, HW Target Lock, HW Drone Controler & 2 shield drones
Fortification: 100
  • Aegis w/Quad-gun

frankr

Re: Frank - Tau Empire 4th Sphere Expansion

Post by frankr » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 am

January Commitments - paint broadsides.
4 Broadside Battlesuits that I converted and primed this summer... now I can get around to painting them. Sorry about the poor quality of the picture.

Jeffy.Gee

Post by Jeffy.Gee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:13 am

They look cool, although I'd have turned the guns another 90 degrees so they aren't as wide.
What scheme will you go for?

JG

frankr

Post by frankr » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Jeffy.Gee wrote:They look cool, although I'd have turned the guns another 90 degrees so they aren't as wide.
What scheme will you go for?

JG
Thanks, to be honest I could have gone either way with the rail-guns, in the end I decided to be with this orientation to match the Hammerhead. The scheme is going to be a red & brown, wIth either desert yellow or turquoise accents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

frankr

Post by frankr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:03 pm

no painting progress yet, I just sorted the models I have for this:

The models on the left half are not in the list; but will also be painted as I have time.

I don't have a play for the defense line yet, but for the quad gun I'm thinking of ordering the burst cannon turret from Forgeworld. I may also order some Tetras in place of the pathfinders; 4 shot marker-lights on a fast skimmer that can get a disruption pod (hello 2+ jink) sounds too good to pass up.

frankr

Post by frankr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 am

Last night I did a very quick-n-dirty test paint scheme on a spare crisis suit; I'm pretty happy with the look. The colors are all moderately analogous which helps them fit in. I may add a complementary color for squad or rank markings. Now this is just the armor color; the metal parts will be a dark metallic.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:08 am

I like where this is going.
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

irishlep77

Post by irishlep77 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:20 pm

cvtuttle wrote:I like where this is going.
Ditto. I have a friend who plays Tau and I cant wait to share this thread with him so painting ideas.
"I would like to weigh in here... No." - Raj Kootherbali.

"I don't want to be attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis." - Sheldon Cooper.

frankr

Post by frankr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 am

I made good progress on the broadsides this weekend I almost have the base-coat done. I descided to go with a contrasting color to pick out details and squad markings and I think it works pretty well. It gives them a nice Anime feel that I really like.

Next is finish the basecoat then wash it. I'll probably use my airbrush to apply the wash; I've never had good luck applying a wash over a large area of a light color and I think the airbrush will help with that.

Mike Fowler

Post by Mike Fowler » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 am

I like those a lot. They have a great anime feel like you said. I'm not a bit fan of most of the colour schemes in the codex but yours look sweet.

Return to “Tau”