Twon - Dark Angels Deathwing Army (Completed)

twon

Twon - Dark Angels Deathwing Army (Completed)

Post by twon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm a hobby gamer.

Now base on the thread title I know what you're thinking. "This yahoo is just trying to get in on the Hobby Progress Challenge at the last minute with a low model count all Terminator army". To you I would say "Nay! I also have two Dreadnoughts!"

The fact of the matter is I've been very lazy about getting around to posting up my army here (better late than never). I began this army around January of this year. You can verify this should you doubt my honesty by checking the thread I started over on my club message boards at http://ordo-ineptus.proboards.com/threa ... ircle-eyes.

I painted up 2000 points of Dark Angels for Battle for Salvation. Since this is a completed list I'll post my 2k Army list for y'all.

Belial 190
Librarian in Terminator armour: Psyker (Mastery Level 2). 130

9 Deathwing Knights 419
Venerable Dreadnought: twin-linked autocannon; twin-linked autocannon. 145
Venerable Dreadnought: twin-linked autocannon; twin-linked autocannon. 145

5 Deathwing Terminators: Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (storm bolter; power sword); 3× storm bolter; 3× power fist; chainfist; assault cannon. 245
5 Deathwing Terminators: Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (storm bolter; power sword); 3× storm bolter; 4× power fist; chainfist; assault cannon. 245
5 Deathwing Terminators: Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (storm bolter; power sword); 3× storm bolter; 4× power fist; assault cannon. 240
5 Deathwing Terminators: Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (storm bolter; power sword); 3× storm bolter; 4× power fist; assault cannon. 240

1,999 points

See next post for all the pretty pictures.
Last edited by twon on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

twon

Re: Dark Angels Deathwing Army (better late than never)

Post by twon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 pm

So here is what you came for. The pretties, the pictures. Let first say this was a labour of love. I love Terminator models too damn much! All said and done this took me about 350 hours to complete over the course of 10 months. Without further ado, behold, The Dark Angels Deathwing spear tip!

And before you ask, yes, he is modular.

Behold the High Council of the Deathwing!

I've gone with a more NMM for the power sword instead of my lightning effect. Very pleased with the outcome.

Behold, 'The Rock' themed display board for the Deathwing Speartip!

Okay, Belial. Took me nearly 8 hours of highlighting! And he only looks marginally better than the "rank and file" terminators.

Anywho really pleased with him, and since he is front and center on the display board that is a good thing.

I did a more involved (more transitions) on his NMM sword. I also made it a little greenish to separate it from the other power swords. Hope you likey.

To give you an idea to the depth of my crazy there are 4-5 highlights on each feather on his headdress. That means I painted each feather, one a time, 4 to five times. I'm not sure when I lost my mind but it clearly has happened.

Fancy artsy gratuitous display board photo.

Here is a power sword party picture pre battle damage. Enjoy.

The Rock!

That Obliterator doesn't stand much of a chance.

Here are the eyes. Hurray for my macro lens. The eye effect is achieved with a blue layer airbrushed. Then a light blue layer a little smaller airbrushed. Then the eye is painted light blue with a brush. Then highlighted with white. Twice.

The battle damage is super stupid easy. Simply tear off a tiny bit of sponge and dab on black paint. Then paint the middle of that area almost up to the black with metal of your choice. Voilá!

The building took me all day, 8-10 hours but it's worth it. And the building is removable so it's also a kick ass terrain piece.

All the hard work paid off! And before you ask BFS doesn't aware both best painted army and best painted model to the same person, and the prize support was the same. Perhaps it's a bit egotistical for me to say but if they had I would have likely won both. That said the guy who got best painted army had a fantastic army. He was defiantly deserving to win something but sisnt have a single model to win the best model category like I did. Well played BFS.

twon

Re: Dark Angels Deathwing Army (very pic heavy!)

Post by twon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Lastly, I do little hobby videos on YouTube and have on talking about the creation of this 'The Rock' themed display board.

Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/an5ATzKTY_o

Edit: having issues embedding the video with the YouTube BBCode. Any tips?

cornu mortem

Post by cornu mortem » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:51 pm

I was wondering when the Rock would arrive :D
Great work Tim! The care you've put into the deathwing is amazing; you've got a serious problem but you're among friends here ; )

I like the little touches of verdigris here and there, people usually over-do that, but you've used it sparingly to a greater effect. The blending on the armor and cloth is outstanding. I'm taking notes.

twon

Post by twon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks for the reply. The verdigris effect is one of my favorite things to paint.

Anywhoo I feel like I'm doing this backwards. I've gone through my iPhoto library and gathered up all the previous WIP shots.

I'll start with the bases as they were painted assembly line style. Not a fun 3-4 hours but you gotta burn through it.

For the 40mm bases I started with some resin bases from Dragonforge design.

I started with a base coat of grey then airbrushed the tan on.

Next I painted the tiles green and white. I wanted a marbled look so didn't worry about 100 opaque coverage, this gave some texture to the color.

Then I washed it with Nuln Oil on the white and Thraka Green on the green.

For the Dreadnought bases in order to have it match I used my sand paste (mix your sand up with the glue for sand that sticks!) and little squares I cut out of card stock. The pillars are just Dremeled wine corks.

The last step was to freehand marbled lines on the tiles. Wash then dry brush the sand with Agrax Earthshade and Bleached Bone, Paint the stone grey, wash Nuln Oil, dry brush two layers to grey and very light grey (grey mixed with white to taste). Add some static grass and we are good to go.

twon

Post by twon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:36 am

Next we have the steps take to layer everything. Nearly every color other than the metallic and the bone armor has 3-4 layers at least, up to 7 in some cases.

This is a step by step for the layer on the robes.

I started with a base coat of Caliban Green, then washed it with Thraka Green. This is where we start.

We then paint the raised areas Caliban Green again. You want to leave just a little of the wash showing through in the lower areas. Pro tip, if you paint your brush in different directions when applying these layers you get more seamless blends and natural textures as well as hiding brush strokes.

This is where the wet pallet comes into play. Add a little white to Caliban Green. Then do the same thing again, this time leaving a little of the previous area showing through.

Guess what is next? Yup, more white leaving just a little of the previous layer showing through. Keep this going till you are happy with the result.

I am a big fan on nice bright highlights. I can tell you all right now your highlights are likely not bright enough. I will show you what my wet pallet looks like to show you. The separate blob on top is white. Below that you can see the four transitions I just used. That is a very very light green for the last step.

It looks kinda messy that close under my macro lens but when you look at it at a foot away with all the other parts highlighted…

twon

Post by twon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:47 am

Lastly here are some of the WIP on the display board.

We start with some 2" pink insulation foam. We cut stuff into layers, stack and glue.

Then top it with some foam board with spots for the models cut out (and a nice big hole for the terrain piece).

I realized very quickly that I wanted some depth to the display board so I added some with some layers of foam board and left over chunks of insulation foam.

Next we fill in all the gaps with joint compound and/or flex paste.

The next step you can't see but I coat the whole thing in a coat of PVA glue to help seal it and hold it together. Gives it a little more durability.

Apply sand and rocks made from tree bark and pillars made from cork…

Then base coat with the airbrush. The rest is the same as any other terrain, dry brush and flock.

Elostirion41

Post by Elostirion41 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Amazing work on this army, blown away. Congrats!

Hornblower

Post by Hornblower » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Looks fantastic! Great army. You should be proud.

HB

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”