John - Ultrawing *Hobby Progress Challenge Complete*

Deadestdai

Re: John - Ultrawing *Jan Complete*

Post by Deadestdai » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Master of Forge looks great! So many magnets.... 81 you say? Insane for one model!

irishlep77

Post by irishlep77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:43 pm

That model is crazy good. Excellent job, man.

I noticed you said you built a light box to do photos in. Can you show pics of it or elaborate a little?? Thanks!
"I would like to weigh in here... No." - Raj Kootherbali.

"I don't want to be attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis." - Sheldon Cooper.

Zeztuku

Post by Zeztuku » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Thank you.

The light box is just a piece of foam board that I cut one one side so that it would fold. Then I hung a couple lights overhead and set up my camera mount. This was pretty simple to setup on my hobby desk.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359437252.798750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359437252.798750.jpg (136.47 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
Here are all the bikes for my knights.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359437304.821530.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359437304.821530.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 2695 times

cornu mortem

Post by cornu mortem » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 am

The master of the forge model is some beautiful work, looking forward to more :)

Zeztuku

Post by Zeztuku » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Thank You ;-)

I am glad that I only committed to 5 bikes this month. It has taken a real effort for me to find the time to paint these guys. Each bike is like painting 3 marines.

I used the Dark Vengeance bikes, plus some bikes from the ravenwing box. Finally I got the Corvus Hammers and Plasma Talons (aka plasma pistol) from the bits sellers. I included one of my regular bikes in a few of the pics for comparison. Both the DA and SM units are all still "Ultramarines" and I want both contingents to look like one cohesive force.

The Black Knights also complete my list for the Bay Area Open next week. All that is left is to base one flyer, and do some clearcoats in the next couple days. Here is the army that I am bringing. I am really looking forward to the BAO. Should be a whole lot of fun.

Zeztuku

Re: John - Ultrawing *Feb Complete*

Post by Zeztuku » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:54 pm

March is almost over?! I guess I had better get something done here. ;-)

I was going to complete a Sammael conversion for March. I have build the model, but I will not be able to finish painting him this month. So for March's commitment I am going to finish my Land Raider. It has been sitting around in primer blue for too long.
Attachments
Motorpool-1.jpg
This pic is of all my vehicles at the start of the challenge in Jan. They all have blue/black primer on them.
Motorpool-1.jpg (339.23 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 am

1) I love these paint jobs. I really love the blue you chose. It's much more vibrant and jams well with the gold.

2) Is that a Mechwarrior: Dark Age light LRM carrier?

3) I see a trike in there. Can we get a better look at it?

4) I hate the blue bases. Sorry. :( Very distracting to me.

Zeztuku

Post by Zeztuku » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Thank You ;-)

Yup, that is a Mechwarrior Darkage mini in there. I have to do something with them right? It is my Thunderfire cannon conversion. I used a GW base and some bits so that it si over 50% GW. I like how it came out. Since I have a ridicules amount of the MWDA stuff, I am going to go ahead an make a couple more.

The Attack Bike is part of my Space Marine bike squads. They are magnetized so they can run as attack bikes of regular, and swap weapons. On one bike the weapons swap, on the other the weapon itself converts from Heavy Bolter to Multimelta. Though, I have only ever ran them with Multimetas. These guys are mostly finished, The riders still need highlights and decals. The bikes themselves still need highlights and then a clear coat.

As far as the blue bases go. I am just getting into my second year of playing this game. This is still my first Army. So I am stuck with some "design" decisions that I made early on. The blue bases being one of them, I have gotten s lot of positive feedback, and a little bit of negative on the blue base. My original idea was that each type of unit would get a slightly different shade of blue. That was an immediate fail, so instead I went with "Ultramarine blue" for my bases across the army. That said, I do like the blue bases, they keep my Marines from getting mixed up with anyone else’s. The basing decision that I regret is using the GW basing kit. Specifically the rock/gravel. It looks real nice, I get a lot of complements about them. However, it have proven a bit expensive to apply to an entire army. I have been looking for a similar but cheaper gravel and have not quite found one yet.

As for my March commitment. The landraider is not quite complete, it still gets a few more highlights and drybrushing. As well as the clear coats. But is done enough to count as my March Hobby progress. The weapons are fully magnetized, including a custom Assault Cannon conversion. For some reason, the Assault Cannon reminds me of Johnny 5. With the extra weapons, I can run it as a Land Raider, a Land Raider Crusader. And, for the next time I find myself facing off against some Titans in one of Big Jims narrative events. It can also run as a Land Raider Terminus Ultra. The side sponson lascannons from one of my predators, and the lascannon turret from a Razorback stand in for the extra weapons needed.

Loopy
IC Staff

Re: John - Ultrawing *March Complete*

Post by Loopy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Wow, that thing is awesome. I like the blue/black.

Tangentical

Re: John - Ultrawing *March Complete*

Post by Tangentical » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:17 pm

That Land Raider looks killer in more ways than one!

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”