Pidge's Black Templars: Challenge Complete!

Loopy
IC Staff

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: August Complete!

Post by Loopy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I wouldn't stress the size of the rivets on the hips. There's something to be said for consistency.

MathiasCronqvist

Post by MathiasCronqvist » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 am

looking good so far bro! really dig the rivet! wish i had the patients for that lol

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:20 pm

OK, I'm done for this month. I ended up completing 18 tac marines and four terminators. I'm pretty happy with that!

So here is a group shot of the four terminators. I think they look pretty spiffy!

This guy took quite a bit of work. I wanted to put one of the robed torsos from a tac marine on the terminator. I had seen it before, and I really thought that it would just be a simple cut and paste, but it wasn't. There was a lot of trimming that had to go on to get the lower half of the torso to join with the termie torso. This caused issues for where the waist connects to the torso, as the termie waist is MUCH larger than that tac marine. Again, it took some carving with a hobby knife.

The biggest issue however, was the fact that the way i attached to torsos together left a very small hole for the head to go into. So there was pretty much no way a regular head could fit in. I took a file to a power armor helmet and probably trimmed off 50% of the original plastic.

I'm not very happy with the way that it turned out, but its the best that I could do.

I went with some Dark Angel lightning claws on this guy. I took a file to the pattern on the inside of the forearms. I really like these because it breaks up what otherwise can look like some cut-and-past poses for what is now a set of five guys with lightning claws.

So here is one of the dudes with the rivets.

Rivets on the hips here.

And on the legs for the last guy.

Next month I'm going to be working on bases and decals. Fun fun!

DeathBringer

Post by DeathBringer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am

I like what you did with the chaos helmets on the scouts. I may have to use that idea on my own. Very cool!!! your painting of the terminators is really well done. Keep up the good work.

Death Bringer
There is nothing like the smell of rotting flesh in the morning.......

student teacher

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: September pledge

Post by student teacher » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:38 pm

So my September pledge is pretty simple. I bought some Secret Weapon Miniatures bases for my Templars, and I'll be painting up and basing 20 of my 20 mil bases, 10 of my 40 mil bases and my dreadnought base.

PLUS I'll be putting transfers on all the dudes.

student teacher

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: Feedback requested!!!

Post by student teacher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:05 pm

So I shelled out some bucks to get some resin miniatures for the Templars. I have two bases done but I'm not sure which I like better.

So I'm stuck on around the border of the base. I kinda like the red because the Templars are so stark and predominantly black and white. But on the other hand, I don't want the border to draw attention away from the minis themselves.

What do you guys think?

TheSelsword

Post by TheSelsword » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:08 pm

student teacher wrote:So I shelled out some bucks to get some resin miniatures for the Templars. I have two bases done but I'm not sure which I like better.

So I'm stuck on around the border of the base. I kinda like the red because the Templars are so stark and predominantly black and white. But on the other hand, I don't want the border to draw attention away from the minis themselves.

What do you guys think?
I recommend going with the black base rim or switching to a brown instead of the red...

student teacher

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: September WiP

Post by student teacher » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:56 pm

So I did some work on my bases today. 75% done. All I've got left to do is a black wash in the cracks around the red stone, a dry-brush of bleached bone and the edge of the base which will be black.

Next pic is a bit of a laugh. This paper towel represents all of the colors that are in my Black Templars. I've been using this towel for a couple of months no, and it is finally time to retire it.

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Been a while, so here is an update.

This one is actually kinda old. I've been sick all week, so these guys where actually finished a week ago, and I just haven't feel well enough to post this. But now I'm feeling much better, so I've had a very productive hobby night, and here comes some pics.

So this month I'm doing (some of) my bases and all of my decals, and here is some of the prep-work. I pulled 40 dudes off of 25mm bases and 10 termies off of 40mm bases. So I've put some pins in their feet so that they'll stay on the base, and have less of a chance of being knocked off.

Next up, here are about half of my dudes with the bases complete. I'm going to put some dead grass on the bases, but I'm going to wait until have I dulcoat the models.

My original plan was to put decals on about 5 guys every couple of days after the bases were done, but then I came down with the blessing of Pappa Nurgle, so I didn't get anything done this week.

So this evening after work I sat down and got to work to knock out some decals. Here are 21 scouts and a total of 42 decals applied. The good news is that most of my standard power armor dudes only need decals on one shoulder each.

And here are the results of one evening of decal application.

student teacher

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: September Complete!

Post by student teacher » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:17 pm

For some reason I was dreading putting decals on my Templars. I'm not quite sure why, but I seem to remember dreading it after putting some decals on my Space Wolves (which is why many of them still need decals).

I sat down on Friday evening and started, and I guess I just got into a rhythm. I did all of my Scouts, which needed 2 decals per model on Friday even. I did most of my battle brothers on Saturday and finished the lasts ones today.

It was going along so well that I even added quad markings to their right kneepads (on most of the dudes).

Anywho here they are.

This will be the bulk of my Templar army. Three Crusader squads each with 10 initiates, and 7 neophytes. I've got some spare guys, so I can swap out a sword for a fist, or a melta for a flamer or whatever.

Now comes the sad news. The guys below have been founding wanting in the eyes of Sigismund. They have been booted out of the Templars and will soon become Raven Guard. The good news is that their paint scheme will not change significantly! The bad news is I'm and going to have to rip all of the arms off the assault marines because they have the Tempars' chained weapons.

Good times.

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”