Pidge's Black Templars: Challenge Complete!

student teacher

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: August Completed!

Post by student teacher » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 pm

I may have set the bar too low for August. Here is is the 1st of August, and I've already finished my August commitment. Of course being off of work doesn't hurt. I started painted these guys on Monday, and here they are today. I need to do two power fist dudes and two special weapons dudes, and then these will all finish out the fourth Troops unit for me. I have purchased some bits to flesh out my assault termies, and I'll try to get those done this month.

After that I'll have just the Marshal and the Termie Chaplain and I'll be done with the challenege (and then I can work on bases and transfers).

Of course I want to paint up the Land Raider Crusader before November, but I don't think that'll be too difficult.

Anywho, here they are!

student teacher

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: Army So Far

Post by student teacher » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Well after finishing (sorta) my last bit of troops, and my last major part to the army, I decided to spread them all out and take some pictures of the whole army.

After looking through the fifty some-odd troops I have back there at the back, I have decided to go through and personalize them all a bit. I'll be painting some knee pads, adding auspex and pouches, and then added some writing on the black armor.

Oh, and because I am ahead of schedule, and a glutton for punishment, I have decided to add a couple of extra troops so that if the rumors about new Black Templars rules are true, I can field two blobs of 20 marines and 10 scouts each!

I have also (finally), ordered the first set of resin bases so I can start basing the minis soon, so they aren't all sitting on the plain black base.

atimchula

Re: Pidge's Black Templars: August Complete!

Post by atimchula » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Seeing that army grouped up looks freaking awesome. Good stuff.

Strahleo

Post by Strahleo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Looking good - armies forming up!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:46 pm

It looks really great all together. Lets make it even bigger.

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. After all of the work, it is nice to hear good things from people!

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 pm

What do you do when you finish your monthly challenge in a week?

Well, if you are me, you paint another squad. Well not actually a whole squad. What I've done is to paint up some guys to finish up some of my other squads.

I am still holding out hope that the rumors that we heard about the Black Templars before the revelation that they will be rolled up into the Space Marine codex were just rumors from the BT section of the Space Marine codex.

With that in mind. I am now in a position to field (if it is allowable) two squads of 20 Initiates (power armor) and 10 neophytes (carapace armor) dudes. OR I can field four squads for 10 Initiates and 5 neophytes.

Anywho, here are the last of my troops.

Now these guys aren't 100% done as I decided that I wanted two of the dues to carry meltaguns, but it turns out I didn't have any BTs meltaguns left, so I picked some up on eBay, and I'm still waiting for them to show up in the mail. So for now, these guys are pretty much done.

On another note. I have received the first shipment of the bases I'll be using from secret weapon miniatures. I am doing up a test first so I think that next month may be basing and decals! Whee!

jnichols

Post by jnichols » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 am

Awesome lovin the templar! Great to see someone else working on them. Great progress. Feel you on the white shoulders. Looking back if I were to do it all over again I would assemble without the shoulders, batch paint all the shoulders white using an airbrush / white primer then glue to the black primed models and continue painting. Well there are always more squads. The templar will likely be be an apoc army, three landraider crusaders... check. We will see what happens rule wise.
www.g3santacruz.com
## Battle Brushes ##
[Orks, Tau, Templar]

student teacher

This Way Lies Madness!

Post by student teacher » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 pm

So with this being the last week before I go back to work, I figured I outta fit in as much hobby time as possible. So one of the things I want to do is expand my close combat terminators to a full 10-man unit. With that said, I want to make these terminators stand out a bit because the Terminator kit looks kinda boring after the SW and DA terminators.

So I got this idea from this guy, to put some rivets on my terminators to make them stand out a bit. This is what I got.

What you see here is sixty-two 0.05" rivets applied one at a time, by hand!

Fourteen on each shin.

Twenty-two on the shoulder pad.

Six on each hip.

Now, while I think these look pretty cool, I'm glad I'm not doing a whole unit of them! I did get into a rhythm putting them on, but I did have some issues. What I wanted to do was put them on quick enough so that if they looked out of place, I could move them around a bet while the superglue was drying, BUT that also left me able to move them around on accident which did happen a few times.

In hindsight, I think that the ones on the hips look a bit too big, but I didn't really realize that until all of them were on one of the hips. Oh well.

This is how they come. I got eight packs of 12 rivets for about $3.50. I got them off a place called Tichy Train Group, but in the future I am going to try to source them locally.

Mods

Post by Mods » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 am

I love it...this is a perfect blend of madness and awesome! I look forward to seeing them finished!

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”