Chris - Dark Angels (of course)

scotteos

Re: Chris - Dark Angels (of course)

Post by scotteos » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:09 pm

These guys are looking really good. I like the lighter tone, breaking a little from the bone/off-white look more than most do. Nice and clean. :mrgreen:
"War, war never changes..."

Kevin McGill

Post by Kevin McGill » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:07 am

Forgot you had that model, can't wait to see it done.

Limey_ElJonson

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Scotteos. I do find their sepia tone to be easy on the eye. Sometimes not easy on the brush, though! This drop pod is proving to be a challenge. Lining some edges with the brown ink requires a man to not have Carpal Tunnel syndrome and a bottle of wine for the nerves. I made a couple of oops, but thin applications of Dheneb Stone covered the mistakes.

I don't have much progress to report. I got this done!

Actually it's further along than that, but I haven't taken any recent photos. I got the base painted to a point I'd call finished for assembly. I'm in two minds about weathering the thing after assembly. Not decided yet. Maybe. I don't know. Stop hassling me okay? Jebus! :P

Things that have distracted me this month

Trying to learn this Axis & Allies

This took an evening. I have to paint it now. That and the Vengeance Battery I also built. Yeesh!

Painting Orks with my son Jamie. Aside from the base, teeth and nails, he painted the one on the left. Not bad for seven years old!

Enough said.
Somewhat occasionally updated WIP blogs:

For The Limey! - a Dark Angels WIP
Hive Fleet Limey - a Tyranids WIP

Limey_ElJonson

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:31 pm

FINISHED!

I knuckled down over a day off here and there this month and I put the last coat of Tamiya Flat on the drop pod yesterday. I'm quite pleased with it.

So this is where I started - Deneb Stone over grey primer with Graveyard Earth "preshading", which didn't work as the Deneb Stone wasn't thin enough.

I used brown ink in recessed and along panel edges, then brushed on a thinned Gryphonne Sepia wash - not washed, but brushed on in thin layer. Then I drybrushed with the Deneb Stone a bit.

Some metal bits were based in Charadon Granite and then drybrushed with Boltgun Metal and washed in Badab Black.

I did a similar thing with the fins, in a similar pattern to my regular drop pods. Other parts were basecoated in black with the boltgun metal drybrush and black wash. Going for different metal effects.

I painted stripes on the door lips the same way that I have done with my regular drop pods. I don't want my dreadnought tripping over that, now. Not that rolling a 1 matters any more *grumble*

Applied the decals from the Forgeworld Dark Angels sheet. Thankfully there were three this size on the sheet - one for each door. Then I decided that it shouldn't look clean, so I sponge weathered with some charadon granite. I couldn't imagine it surviving the plummet from orbit with all of its paint intact! This was the first time I'd tried this technique. Orks will be getting PLENTY of it. I will miss Charadon Granite when this pot is empty *sigh*

I weathered the fins and parts of the central thruster assembly then I started assembly. The base is in two halves and the doors hinge between them. Some filing of the pins on the doors was required to avoid the top of the base being forced up when raising the door. The pins were oval so there was a "cam lobe" effect where the top was being levered.

Two part epoxy was employed to hold them together. Yes, that's the head a a lump hammer that I REALLY need to buy a handle form. I didn't want those pieces moving while the glue set.

The uprights were glued to the central thruster while everything was held in place with rubber bands. Then I glued the points where the uprights connect the base. The doors helped to centre the thruster and ensure everything was as good as it was going to get!

Two coats of Tamiya Clear Flat later and it's DONE. I'm surprised that I procrastinated so long on this during this month but after Adan said I wouldn't get an entry if I missed my deadline - well, you know. :lol:

I'm very happy with it. I hope that it gets more use than my Land Raider Ares has got - still waiting for an updated data sheet on that one *sigh*

So I'm finished with my list for the challenge. It's been a lot of fun and quite motivational. My friends and peers have - I think - followed my progress with interest. I look forward to the next one, although I'm not sure what I'll be doing for it :geek:

For now, a change of pace. I promised my son that I'd finish his dakkajet which has been at a "just past basecoated" stage for some time. And there is his defence line which is made of the Ork barricades. And the quad gun! Kitbashed from various vehicle parts, and a glass marble.

Then there'll be some other fortifications, Tyranids and some other Deathwing stuff. Kanban board awaits! Cheerio!

Kevin McGill

Post by Kevin McGill » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:05 am

Congrats Chris
Your list army looks great

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Pre-shading never works for me. I think it's because I balk at the concept of doing more than 3 layers of a color.

cicero

Post by cicero » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:28 am

Gorgeous looking drop pod! As for charadon granite I searched long and hard, and then desperately mixed and matched, only to find that P3 makes almost the exact same colour (thornwood green iirc). It is really not green but brown/grey with a greenish tinge.
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Limey_ElJonson

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Group shot!

My 1850 list, and the sideboard that I painted at the same time :-)

Thanks to Carl and Geoff for issuing this challenge, and to Adan fot being the overseer of the project. I'm looking forward to the next one :-)
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1380933484198.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1380933484198.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
uploadfromtaptalk1380933349418.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1380933349418.jpg (77.07 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Jakartor

Post by Jakartor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:33 am

Great looking Dark Angel Army, Well Done on completing your challenge.
What you thinking for next year?? :)

twon

Post by twon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:03 am

Nice work on that army. I agree that drop pod is lookin' mighty fine. Excellent weathering. The Librarian is also very crisp. Go Deathwing go!

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”