Pete - Necrons - July Complete!

BlaineThPain

Pete - Necrons - July Complete!

Post by BlaineThPain » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Hey guys,

I've been a long-time listener (about three years) but never got around to making an account on the forum until now. Thanks for producing some terrific content!

For the challenge, I'm basically going to be supplementing my existing Necron army with a fair number of the models that I've put together or primed, but haven't painted to tournament standards yet. (Ie, I'm using the challenge to motivate me to get off my butt and get stuff painted!)

I keep bouncing around on what I want to paint, so I'm just going to keep the list updated with whatever I actually get done. At the end of the year, I'll make sure it ends up being a legal list.

=== Pete's Necrons ===
HQ's
Trazyn the Infinite June Commitment (1/2), Completed
Royal Court
4x Harbingers of Despair June Commitment (2/2), Completed

Elites:
Deathmarks x10 March Commitment, Completed!
w\ Night Scythe January Commitment (1/2), Completed!

Troops:
Necron Immortals x 5 - April Commitment, Completed!
w\ Night Scythe February Commitment (1/2), Completed
Necron Immortals x 5 - May Commitment, Completed!

Fast:
Necron Destroyers x 2 - July Commitment, Completed!

Heavy:
Doom Scythe January Commitment (2/2), Completed
Annihilation Barge March Stretch Goal (1/2), Completed!
Annihilation Barge March Stretch Goal (2/2), Completed!

Fortifications:
Aegis Defense Line w/ Quad-Gun February Commitment (2/2), Completed

Terrain:
Battlefield Debris - Chaos Shrine, Shield Generators, Ammo Crates, Tank Traps, Hills, Ruins May Stretch Goal, Completed

Edits :
2012-12-24 - Added text about the Ghost Ark/Force Org and moved point totals from units to Force Org slot. Posted January pre-progress pictures.
2013-01-13 - Posted January commitment complete pictures.
2013-01-21 - Posted February pre-progress pictures.
2013-02-07 - Updated list with commitments and linked to relevant posts. Posted February commitment complete pictures.
2013-02-08 - Posted March commitment pre-progress picture.
2013-03-31 - Posted March commitment finished picture, posted March stretch goal picture.
2013-04-28 - Posted April commitment finished picture, posted May commitment pre-progress picture.
2013-05-02 - Refactored list.
2013-06-22 - Posted June commitment finished pictures.
2013-07-17 - Posted July commitment finished pictures.
Last edited by BlaineThPain on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 14 times in total.

BlaineThPain

Re: Pete - Necrons

Post by BlaineThPain » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:42 pm

January Goal - Night Scythe and Doom Scythe

I figured committing to both of these units as opposed to just one unit would make up for the fact that some of the gold detailing was already in progress (it needs to be cleaned up, badly!) before I decided to join up on the challenge. Everything else was just priming with an airbrush.
January_Night_Scythe_Incomplete.jpg
Night Scythe - Partially primed + some gold detailing
January_Night_Scythe_Incomplete.jpg (199.73 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
January_Doom_Scythe_Incomplete.jpg
Doom Scythe - Partially primed + some gold detailing
January_Doom_Scythe_Incomplete.jpg (208.27 KiB) Viewed 5920 times

World Bleeder

Post by World Bleeder » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Looking good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing them completed and see you full color scheme.

falsevariablex

Post by falsevariablex » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm curious to see the finished paint scheme as well! I'm solid on my infantry color scheme, but still a little unsure about what to do on my vehicles...

BlaineThPain

Post by BlaineThPain » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:01 pm

I spent this morning working to get the last bits of painting done so I could update this thread (yay motivation!).

Here's my completed January Commitments :

My 2nd Necron Flyer as Doom Scythe
January_Doom_Scythe_Completed.jpg
Doom Scythe - Completed
January_Doom_Scythe_Completed.jpg (215.01 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
My 3rd Necron Flyer as Night Scythe
January_Night_Scythe_Complete.jpg
Night Scythe - Completed
January_Night_Scythe_Complete.jpg (206.98 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
And I've settled on my commitment for February. It's nothing completely new, but I'm also trying to get ready for a tournament at the start of February so I needed to get the Defense Line done. The extra Night Scythe is just to round out all the work I'd already done prior to the challenge, and also because I finished off the bits in the first week of January.

BlaineThPain

Post by BlaineThPain » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:16 pm

February Commitment:

Aegis Defense Line with Necron Quad Gun Conversion (Haven't completely decided what to do here and bits are on their way from eBay so no pictures, I'll post before painting though).
February_Defense_Line_Incomplete.jpg
Defense Line - Incomplete
February_Defense_Line_Incomplete.jpg (214.44 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
And my remaining Necron Flyer. The bits in the last image were only filed down at the start of January (I forgot to take a pic). I ended up painting almost all of them as a batch when I was doing the other two flyers for January.
February_Last_Night_Scythe_Incomplete.jpg
Night Scythe - Incomplete
February_Last_Night_Scythe_Incomplete.jpg (77.97 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
February_Last_Night_Scythe_bits.jpg
Night Scythe - Bits
February_Last_Night_Scythe_bits.jpg (195.38 KiB) Viewed 5819 times

BlaineThPain

Post by BlaineThPain » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 pm

I wasn't in the mood to concentrate much tonight so I ended up painting a test model for my Deathmarks. (My Deathmarks are all a mix of leftover Deathmark bits and extra Warrior parts..)

Does anyone have thoughts on the colours I went with? (All the weapons in my army are colour-coded. That shade of green is rending, so I didn't have a whole lot of choice there.. I'm still not sure about the orange balls on the back, or the red around the head...)
Ottawa-20130116-00107.jpg
Deathmark - Test Model Front
Ottawa-20130116-00107.jpg (202.03 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
Ottawa-20130116-00110.jpg
Deathmark - Test Model Back
Ottawa-20130116-00110.jpg (193.95 KiB) Viewed 5796 times

segnett

Post by segnett » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:31 am

At first glance I was thinking those are kind of odd color choices for the weapons, but having them color coded for effects and rules is brilliant.

It has never crossed my mind to do something like that. I am all for it, I think the color choices are fantastic, especially given that they have some kind of utility.

I make note cards for my army along with my army list to help keep track of everything, this takes it to a whole new level.

BlaineThPain

Post by BlaineThPain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 pm

For the Necrons it works out really well, particularly because I went out and bought dice of matching colours. I mostly got in the habit of doing it when their new codex dropped because I kept forgetting the rules, but I'm really liking it now that I'm in the habit.

Here's what I use:
Orange/Yellow - AP1/AP2 (Warscythes, Eldritch Lances, Heavy Destroyer etc)
Red - AP3 / Power weapons (Necron Lord)
Light Green - Rending / Sniper
Green - Gauss
Blue - Tesla / Entropic Strike

So basically the AP values go up as it goes from yellow to red to green to blue.

I've been finding more often than not just seeing the matching colour of dice in my hand is enough to make sure I remember the special rules. (Like as long as I make sure I'm rolling at least one blue dice, I'll remember that the shots are Tesla etc. when I'm resolving them.)

BlaineThPain

Post by BlaineThPain » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Made some minor progress tonight. Due to the tournament that I'm trying to prepare for, I won't be converting a Necron Quad-gun, but just simply painting a regular Imperial one. I ended up buying a full defense line kit and assembled the gun and based both defense lines. Hopefully I'll be able to get most of this done by the end of the week.

New Defense Line Kit (mostly just showing the Quad Gun Assembled but not painted for February's commitment).
IMG-20130121-00113.jpg
New Defense Line Kit
IMG-20130121-00113.jpg (150.39 KiB) Viewed 5732 times
Both Defense Lines basecoated.
Ottawa-20130121-00115.jpg
Both Defense Lines basecoated
Ottawa-20130121-00115.jpg (145.4 KiB) Viewed 5732 times
Last edited by BlaineThPain on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Necrons”