Ak-Satchel : Dark Eldar

AK-Satchel
WoW character gender: Male

Re: Ak-Satchel : Dark Eldar

Post by AK-Satchel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm

Thank you for your kind words cicero. I used a product from Por, although I forget the formula off the top of my head - it's a 2 part epoxy putty very similar to the others on the market; if I use more resin than hardener then it behaves more like green stuff for example. This stuff cures in an hour so I waited about 45 minutes before carefully removing the mold and bending the wings a bit.

Inquisitor Valeria: the one you are referring to was a Japanese Pear container I think, from Costco. I wasn't sure how they would turn out... I might try to do a deeper mold for them. I was trying to make the fixall pretty thick so I could coat the plastic and not "fill" the void level with material, if that makes any sense; I wasn't successful with that technique! One could make WWP pretty easy like this, using an apple crate you can get from Costco. I've been working on cutting up an apple crate to use as a DE defense line, just for fun if I ever get around to it. I'll probably start sharing some projects in the terrain section as I get closer to putting some stuff together - your bastion is very inspiring!

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 pm

I redid the Drazhar proxy, I'll probably play with the arms a little bit more and cut a spare hellglaive to model his demiklaives.

and here are the razorwings with a few black washes. I'm itching to get some red on them.. I'm thinking the head and tail will be red, like a red and black eagle... and I'll highlight the black with feathers with a little blue for contrast...

Tangentical

Post by Tangentical » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:03 am

Nice, moulding your own beasties is certainly a more ambitious way to deal with the cost/horrid beast models!

I never really did deal with the cost by swapping in Forge World proxies/alternates.

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks!

Razorwings are painted, just a few more touch ups on the Khymerae and Fiends and I'll post some pics. Also, just got another box of Hellions so I can field 15 or 10 and 5 Beastmasters.

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Wed May 01, 2013 1:16 am

I've been busy bouncing around from model to model. Finished assembling a Drazhar proxy - pinned a hellion hellglave on each arm and primed him.

front:
back:

preshaded Drazhar proxy and I preshaded my haemonculus

I primed my trueborn, preshaded with a light brown, and then painted a bronze followed by two shades of gold. I wanted the trueborn to stand out from my kabalite warriors. I'm looking forward to adding washes and finishing the details:

Did a few highlight passes on the the three raiders, two ravagers, two venoms, and Razorwing. They had been previously primed black and shaded with a base coat.

Primed and preshaded the Archon. I was planning on doing a few conversions on him but decided in the end to just model him as intended.

I repainted the sails; resprayed the masts and painted over the green stuff and previous paint with chaos black. I'll paint the starbursts next before applying my decals on the sails. I wanted to start with a black slate.

I had boxed my proxy razorwing flocks, so I don't have a pic of them at the moment; needless to say, I do not have my commitment for April completed because I ddin't get the beasmasters finished in time. Here is the the additional box of hellions I ordered this month and assembled. I added some extra bling to a few models so they can be tailored to a five man beastmaster unit, or hellions unit.
I also formed a base for my pain tokens. I'm planning on using the pikes and flags from the hellions/raiders kits to mark the pain tokens... more on that later. I created a master and used a press mold to create more bases. I think I'll make 5 or 6.

I'll probably continue to work on the army very piece meal - my time is so limited that I have just been going with what takes me at the moment. I know I am favoring more of a conventional paint scheme, but I plan on having some unique details to keep it intersting.

Inquisitor Valeria

Post by Inquisitor Valeria » Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 am

Oohh. Nice, things are definitely coming along! The airbrush works particularly well on the 'glowy' bits of vehicles. =)
Survival is no birthright, but a prize wrested from an uncaring galaxy by forgotten heroes. Study the alien, the better to kill it.
HPC 2015: Chortoicetes ......... HPC 2013: Cotton Candy Kabal

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Wed May 01, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks. I'll be applying some dark washes to the vehicles to help blend in the airbrushed highlights, and then I'll brush highlights and add weathering. I didn't post a pic, but I painted the prows too, a bronze color, and I was thinking about having more bronze on the vehicles as apposed to a dark, gun metal look. I think more bronze contrast nicely with the markings I want to add. I'm thinking of a bird theme, maybe the "Kabal of the Red Talon" or something like that. I've been sketching some different ideas for the markings and I think I'm closer to what I had in mind.

cicero

Post by cicero » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Gorgeous! I am envyous of your obvious airbrush skills.

I have always liked Drazhar, and your conversion has so much more personality and "menace" than the old school drark eldar warrior with scything talons I have been accustomed to.
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks Cicero! You flatter me about my airbrushing skills, I'm far from consistent with it!

So I've done a little painting - started adding some details to the Trueborn but still have a lot left to do like flags, weapons, and other fluff; like the rest of the army I plan on doing all the bases last.

group shot - just iphone photos for now, sorry; I plan on setting up a better camera after the army is painted.

here's a raider I was working on. Still need to highlight, finish the prow, detail the sails, paint the crew, weather, etc...

on another note - I had mentioned that I've been staging terrain stuff, pouring molds, etc. I did a quick setup to see what foam I was going to keep for terrain and came up with some shapes. I have mostly forests and hills so I was looking for urban stuff. I plan on mounting these to mdf and properly bashing them up. I have a few boxes of misc bits and bobs to (hopefully!) make them more interesting.

structure for a landing pad?

huge perimeter wall?

who knows, maybe I'll make one of them turn out ok...

Tangentical

Post by Tangentical » Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 am

Oh noes! Now I have competition in the Gold and Blue Dark Eldar stakes!!!!!

Return to “Dark Eldar”