Ak-Satchel : Dark Eldar

AK-Satchel
WoW character gender: Male

Ak-Satchel : Dark Eldar

Post by AK-Satchel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Hello all,

I want to participate in the challenge this year too and hope that this will keep me motivated to keep painting.

Most of my list is already assembled and primed and some has been base-coated. I'll take an overall pic this weekend and then document my January challenge as soon as I decide which unit it will be!

Dark Eldar (1849pts)
HQ (330pts)
• Baron Sathonyx (105pts)
• Haemonculus (50pts)
• Lelith Hesperax (175pts)
Elites (424pts)
• Incubi x7 (154pts)
• Kabalite Trueborn x5 (140pts)
o Venom
• Kabalite Trueborn x5 (130pts)
o Venom
Troops (618pts)
• Hellions x9 (144pts)
• Kabalite Warriors x10 (175pts)
o Raider
• Kabalite Warriors x10 (139pts)
o Raider
• Wracks x10 (160pts)
o Raider
Fast Attack (162pts)
• Reaver Jetbikes x6 (162pts)
Heavy Support (315pts)
• Ravager (105pts)
• Ravager (105pts)
• Talos Pain Engine (105pts)

AK-Satchel

Re: Ak-Satchel : Dark Eldar

Post by AK-Satchel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:04 pm

My January challenge will be this pain engine. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

My January challenge will be this pain engine. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I have also been doing some converting:

The Baron's custom skyboard

and a couple of Beastmasters:
They will either be used as Hellions or count's as Beastmasters

World Bleeder

Post by World Bleeder » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 pm

I really like Baron Sathonyx and kept waiting for GW to release a model for him but it never seemed to happen for some sad reason. It's nice to see you building your own. Like how his board is looking.

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:33 am

Whew, what a busy month. So busy that I haven't had time to document my progress so I'm sharing it all in one big lump. Sorry for the poor pics, I had to be fast and furious.

After priming black, I based everything but the torso with a very dark blue, building up a few layers:

dry fit:

I have a few WIP pics but they turned out pretty blurry, so here is January's challenge completed
[img]http://iImage

I still need to seal it with a matte, but I am going to wait and do it in a batch with some other models, I may add an emblem to the back side later too after I've decided what I want to use.

Also this month, since I had the airbrush setup, I primed and based my hellions and 6 of the 9 reavers (still cleaning and stripping the last three from eBay); and primed and preshaded some ghost knights along with Mordrak (I'll post a pick in the GK board)

The Baron's board:

I haven't decided yet for my February commitment, I'm really itchin to see the hellions and reavers painted, but I have a lot going on this month so I should probably go light - maybe the Baron...

AK-Satchel

April Commitment and Misc.

Post by AK-Satchel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 pm

The last two months have been busier than I expected and I never logged on to commit to anything. I wasn't sure what I could do with the time I had so I ended up doing a little bit of everything.

I acquired another three Reavers from Ebay, but they were poorly packaged and not only did arms, legs, and guns break off, but several fins too. It took some TLC to glue them back together and get them ready for paint.

I assembled my Trueborn last month, but they aren't wysiwig, and finished magnetizing and modifying the solar sails for my raiders and ravagers.

I also picked up some models for my Beastmasters. I found an eagle in a bin of misc toys at a garage sale and decided to cast it for my Razorwing flocks; I ordered some Confrontation figs for the Clawed Fiends off eBay; and I decided to go with a pack of Chaos Warhounds to use for Khymarae.

Trueborn:

Playing around with extra bits for a Drazhar proxy

Here's a pic of the sails. I plan on painting some gradients on them before using a custom decal pattern to make the sails look a little more interesting.

Here is the eagle I used to cast 4 razorwing proxies using instant mold:

Before the putty was fully set on the casts, I bent the wings and feathers a bit to make each one a little different.

I think I will add some bits to their heads before I paint them.

Here's the beast pack together, my April commitment:

So I'll be altering my list a little bit, don't really feel like crunching numbers right now.

Inquisitor Valeria

Post by Inquisitor Valeria » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Don't know how I missed all this before, but your conversions are looking awesome! Love that custom skyboard! =) Is the harness thing part of the regular Hellion kit? I have a box of them someone gave me but I haven't opened it yet, and I don't recognize it. If it is part of the set... good use of it to enhance the dynamic pose, if it is custom added... where did you get it?! lol. The paint on your Talos is also looking spiffy.
Survival is no birthright, but a prize wrested from an uncaring galaxy by forgotten heroes. Study the alien, the better to kill it.
HPC 2015: Chortoicetes ......... HPC 2013: Cotton Candy Kabal

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks Valeria, the harness is from the Hellions box, it's attached to all the legs bits.

here's the beast pack with some preshading - I primed them black, then used the zenithol technique with grey and then white. I’m adding head gear to the razorwings...

I had just enough time to last night to apply my first color to the Khymerae, I thinned blood red 50% with water and p3 acrylic medium.

For the Khymerae color scheme, I wanted to pain the bodies red and the manes\hair a blond color with a black tips. I was also planning on adding some stripes to them. So, next steps will be some more preshading in orange, then washes to darken them up a bit. The Fiends will be blue, and the razorwings will be black and red... at least that’s the plan so far.

AK-Satchel

Post by AK-Satchel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:11 pm

making progress on the beast pack...

I need to do some detail work and highlights before I finish the bases. The Razorwings aren't on here but they have some washes, I'm hoping I'll have the time to airbrush a nice feather pattern on them later tonight.

I've been collecting a lot of terrain material for another big terrain push and used up some spare Fix-all plastering compound over the weekend; I decided to see what interesting shapes I could get out of pouring the plaster into plastic trays I've been collecting. I really liked the square tray pattern and will probably make a bunch of those, the egg cartons yielded some great jersey style barriers and tank traps, they would also make good pylons for raised buildings. I would love to spend all weekend in my shop working on terrain, but I don't see that happening for a long time!

cicero

Post by cicero » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Just looking at this project log for the first time, wonderful and characterful work! Your conversions show a lot of creativity and skill.

What kind of putty did you use for your instamold eagles?
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Inquisitor Valeria

Post by Inquisitor Valeria » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 am

Yay for terrain! That stuff is all cool little detail stuff. =) It almost looks like the egg carton (?) one with the line in between could be used for a custom Aegis Line. The flat-ish circular ones in the back right? What kind of tray did you mold those out of? I designed something with almost that exact shape in mind and was wondering to myself how to make it.
Survival is no birthright, but a prize wrested from an uncaring galaxy by forgotten heroes. Study the alien, the better to kill it.
HPC 2015: Chortoicetes ......... HPC 2013: Cotton Candy Kabal

Return to “Dark Eldar”