NurglesRott - Daemons - COMPLETE!

nurglesrott

Re: NurglesRott - Daemons

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:32 am

AUG hobby commitment complete!

So here's the finished daemon prince of Nurgle, in all his rotten glory. He was a lot of fun to paint. When I look at him in these pics I can see a million things I want to touch up, but he's very playable and I need to move along with other projects.
dp1.JPG
dp1.JPG (196.26 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
dp2.JPG
dp2.JPG (206.06 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
So I initially thought I'd get an early start on my plague hulk, but plans have changed again. There is an event I plan to attend here in Japan next month, and I'd like to bring all painted models... the problem is that the list I want to use has a unit of bloodletters with a herald of khorne, and an Ageis defense line that are unpainted. Since I have a month till that event and some spare time in my hobby challenge I plan to use it to knock out these models. Even though it's not part of this challenge, I'll post some pics of the models just for fun, so hopefully they turn out ok.
Last edited by nurglesrott on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rot, glorious rot!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:39 am

Here are the bloodletters and herald primed up and waiting for me to start work on them. I'm really not sure how I want to approach these guys, but I've got a couple ideas in mind. Really I don't want them to just look like red daemons, as many bloodletters end up... hopefully they won't look too boring when they are done, but I am on a short deadline so we'll see what happens. The defense line is still in the package and needs a lot of clean-up work before I can start on it, so I'll post pics of that when it's primed up and ready for paint as well.
bloodletters.JPG
bloodletters.JPG (151.39 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Rot, glorious rot!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:02 am

So my defense line from Mr. Dandy (which I heard about first on IC podcast) showed up not too long ago. I ordered the "dark ancients" one cause it looked the most daemonic. I really like the sculpt - it's really detailed and better quality than I expected, but it was a bear to clean up... it had so much flash and sprue, some very thick. Still, since it's currently one of the only alternate sculpts and really good quality it was very worth the work and I'd recommend it to anyone. (here's a link to their site : http://www.mrdandy.com/wargamma-linked-barricades/)

I took some pics after I cleaned it up, built it and primed it.
primed.JPG
primed.JPG (163.02 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
primed back.JPG
primed back.JPG (214.69 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Since I need this done for my game next month, I decided to just spray it quick with my airbrush and work in some details later. Here is a pic of the colors I picked. I have a lot more work to do on it but it's coming along.
tint.JPG
tint.JPG (139.08 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
I'm still working on how to do my bloodletters... can't find a color scheme I like. Might have to default to the standard red if this takes too much longer. I'll update after I figure out what I'm doing with them.
Last edited by nurglesrott on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rot, glorious rot!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 am

Close up shot of the small pieces. Lots of details I could work on filling in, but I already like how they are looking.
close.JPG
close.JPG (181.33 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Rot, glorious rot!

Brninghalo

Post by Brninghalo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:37 am

That is really fantastic! I had heard of Mr. Dandy on the IC podcast as well as others...I had not taken a look yet but this is pefect for a demon army. Before I read that they were from Mr. Dandy, i thought you had converted them from bits from the Ogre Kingdom Stonehorn.

Is it just me or does the gun seem not as detailed as the wall pieces?

Thanks,
Tom

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:05 am

The walls look awesome! And your paint job really sets it off well!

Not sure about the gun though. I think I would have rather just seen some Daemon-lookin' thing that has four screaming arms or something.

Keep up the good work!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I think that they are really worth checking out... they have a lot of different versions, so easy to get ones that match whichever race you play. I think that the gun is actually really cool looking, especially the base part of it. Probably I just take bad pics. :P But the gun is like an imperial-looking quad gun which has been overtaken by daemonic growth that matches the textures on the walls. When I get some detail painted onto the gun I'll post some better close up pics of it and maybe it will look a bit better. :mrgreen:
Rot, glorious rot!

student teacher

Post by student teacher » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Well the only thing that really matters is that you and you do, so great!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Loving those fortifications! Great technique. No need to over-think the details. Models like this tend to paint themselves sometimes.

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 am

So a while ago I mentioned that I'd post pics of the "transport system" I made for this army, so here it is.

A while back, I was looking at buying another case for my minis, but couldn't decide on what to get that would make life easier for carrying around a plague hulk and several flying monstrous creatures. I couldn't settle on a case I liked, so I decided to look at alternative ways to transport my minis.

Because I play both fantasy and 40k, I wanted to be able to transport my fantasy figs as whole units on trays vice in individual foam cases... because it is so much easier to pull them out and play that way, and it works fine for 40k as well.

I also don't travel too far from home to play games, so flying on an airplane wasn't something I needed to consider. I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for, so I started looking at big toolboxes that might work for my larger 40k figs (plague hulk is pretty fat and tall :P) as well as my trays of fantasy guys.

I ended up buying this waterloo toolbox and using liquid nails to glue some thin metal sheeting to the bottom so that my magnetic bases and trays would just stick to it and not move around too much. I also ordered a heavy-duty shoulder strap to carry it around with, but it's not visible here because I added it after I took these pics. This kind of system wouldn't work well for transport on an airplane or anything, but to and from local events and friend's houses it's pretty awesome.

The case is a bit heavy, and made from hard, thick plastic. It has a top level and a much bigger bottom level. The top is tall enough for banners and tall weapons to fit just fine, and I keep all my templates, dice and other tools in here too. The bottom is huge, and is big enough for most anything I need, so normally this is the only thing I have to carry around... I even keep my books in the bottom of there. The strap is really heavy duty, and I just drilled out a couple of holes in the side of the toolbox and attached the strap clips to those.

I'd say that overall I'm really happy with this system. I think it will be able to transport what I need it to for the next couple of years. The only improvements I decided I'd like it to have would be wheels, since it is pretty heavy. I think the next time I do something like this, I'll probably just get a small suitcase and try to install magnetic shelves inside of it - that way I can wheel it around wherever I go.

Anyway, just thought I'd follow through on showing this thing.
Rot, glorious rot!

Return to “Chaos Demons”