NurglesRott - Daemons - COMPLETE!

nurglesrott

NurglesRott - Daemons - COMPLETE!

Post by nurglesrott » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Alright, after looking around at so many other people's postings I think I have decided on a format to track my monthly hobby goal progress. I think the best place for that to happen is on this initial posting. I will just edit this post to reflect current and past monthly hobby goals so it's easy to see without going through the entire thread.

Here is my (approximate) list:

• Great Unclean One SEP hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Herald of Nurgle JUL hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Herald of Nurgle JUL hobby goal, COMPLETED

• Plaguebearers of Nurgle x 10 FEB hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Plaguebearers of Nurgle x 10 MAR hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Plaguebearers of Nurgle x 10 MAY hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Plaguebearers of Nurgle x 10 MAY hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Nurglings x 4 JUN hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Nurglings x 4 JUN hobby goal, COMPLETED

• Beast of Nurgle x 3 APR hobby goal, COMPLETED

• Daemon Prince of Nurgle JAN hobby goal, COMPLETED
• Daemon Prince of Nurgle JAN hobby goal, COMPLETED

• Soul Grinder of Nurgle NOV hobby goal, COMPLETED

Now I never intended for this to be a competitive build - I mostly wanted to do it just because Nurgle is my favorite part of the warhammer story, and I wanted to see what it would be like to build and paint up an all Nurgle force. These are the models I purchased (although I bought plague toads to stand in as beasts of Nurgle because I love the toad models and strongly dislike the real beast models) and they pretty much work out to the 1850 points limit set by this challenge if they are kitted out right. Initially, I was just going to use the Plague Hulk as a nurgle-themed soul grinder, but the gamers in my area seem to be ok with me using the FW rules for friendly games so I may just keep fielding him as a hulk. Overall, I am happy with the models I have settled on so far... However, if the rumors are true and Daemons get a release next month, this list will probably have a few additions to it! :)
Last edited by nurglesrott on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:56 am, edited 37 times in total.

nurglesrott

Re: NurglesRott - Daemons

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:04 am

OK, so I'm finally going to sign up for this challenge like I have been meaning to do for the last two weeks. I have a list that just about meets the requirements, so I plan to post that up here tonight along with what I've done so far. I have an all Nurgle army which my wife bought me (let me buy) for the holidays, and so this is a perfect challenge to keep me motivated to getting it done. Although I have been quite motivated as it is just because the models are so cool and I've always wanted to do an all Nurgle list. I have some pics I'll also be posting up here tonight, but as I just finished a 13 hour shift, it's off to bed for now. Oyasumi! :mrgreen:

OK so here we go!

First of all let me say that I am just starting to listen to the IC podcast this month. I listen to quite a few podcasts, and I started with a lot of fantasy ones which I still listen to. I always start from their first episode and listen to them all until I'm up to date... then I find another podcast to add to my list. Needless to say it will take a while for me to catch up with where IC is at right now. :p

I started listening to IC because a friend of mine recommended it to me (TheSelsword) and suggested that I join him in this hobby progress challenge because of my decision to start playing 40k after 6th launched.

I live in Japan, and one of my only gaming buddies here (TheSelsword) usually played fantasy with me about once a month, although he was more into 40k. After 6th edition launched, we had a couple games where I just used one of his extra armies to play, and we had a lot of fun. I decided that since my fantasy army was almost completed and we were obviously going to be playing a lot more 40k, I would buy a force so that I could play with my own army when we got together. So last November, on Black Friday, I purchased an entire Nurgle Daemons force from a couple of online stores.

The models mostly all got here in December, and I was super excited to get started on them, but I was also waiting on my airbrush paint to come in so I could prime up the models with that. So in the meantime I built the models and watched videos for inspiration. I also purchased some new paints especially for this army, which I will discuss in another posting. Little did I know that my airbrush primer was on back-order and wouldn't arrive until January! :(

While I was waiting I got really excited to try out some of the techniques I had seen on YouTube, so I decided to just do one model the old-fashioned way and prime him up by hand.

Now let me say off the bat that I am not a very talented painter. I have never been into the artist side of the hobby very much, and have pretty much always considered myself a gamer first and a hobbyist second. I do enjoy seeing nicely painted models on the game table though, and I try to make mine look at least decent … I just don’t know much about color theory or what techniques are considered the table-top standard these days. So with that in mind I did exactly what I probably shouldn’t have done… I grabbed up my Nurgle daemon prince from Forge World and started throwing paint onto him! :o

I just really wanted to paint this model! He's so cool looking, and I knew that I would be doing a lot of more boring painting soon anyway, so I might as well try to motivate myself by starting with this one!

I'll post pics of his progression here, and hopefully I don't muck it up... this is the first time I am using a forum like this so be warned that my postings might not make much sense until I get the hang of this thing. :)

JAN hobby commitment

SO... for my first monthly hobby goal, I am going to do this daemon prince of Nurgle from FW.
greenstuffed.jpg
After assembly and some greenstuffing... the gaps were actually much worse than I expected, since this was my first FW purchase...
greenstuffed.jpg (55.15 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Last edited by nurglesrott on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Rot, glorious rot!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 am

Ok, I seem to be having some problems with posting already... here are some pictures of the model after I had done some experimenting on him. :P Unfortunately, I was excited to try out a lot of the techniques I had seen on YouTube right away, and it shows on the model.
IMG_1052.JPG
Tried wet-blending the horn from green to black... didn't work out very well at this point.
IMG_1052.JPG (213.25 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Nice - ok figured out how to insert the pics now!

So yeah, some parts of him are too dark, others are too bright, and lots of it is really sloppy looking at this point. On this side, I tried so many layers on inside of the gun arm, that I obscured some detail and made the paint look flat and ork-like... which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I also tried to wet-blend the horn from green to brown and then black, but the part from the skin to the brown didn't look good at all, and every time I tried to fix it I messed up the whole blend. :oops:

Still, I wasn't totally disapointed with how things were going, and I was having fun painting him!
Last edited by nurglesrott on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rot, glorious rot!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 am

I guess there must be a size-limit on images in one post - I can't attach more pics to that same posting so I'll just keep starting new ones. :P

(EDIT: slowly but surely I'm getting this... lol here's two pics in one post!)
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG (150.57 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
Here is the other side of the model - this side was more of what I was going for. I had primed him white, and then tried to glaze on a thinned-down green (not sure exactly the color now) and then use a green-black wash over it after it was dry. Then I used a secret weapon wash called yellow snow over some of the higher points, and I really like the way it looks. If I could go back and redo the whole model, I would probably go for mostly this kind of effect.
IMG_1056.JPG
center
IMG_1056.JPG (166.09 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
Here you can see how bad the blending on the horn looked. I also just added a lot of bright red to the wounds, and they obviously look too red. I planned on adding some red-black and/or amethyst wash to these areas later.

I guess I lost the pics of the rear of the model, but at this point I hadn't attached his bucket of gunk or pipes, and the wounds on the rear end looked like a baboon. :?
Rot, glorious rot!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 am

20.JPG
front
20.JPG (126.29 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Ok, so after a lot of touching up and trying to correct some of the experimenting I had done, this is the model nearly completed. I completely redid the wet-blending on the horn and was much happier with the result, although it did obscure some of the detail because of how many layers ended up being on there. I also cleaned up some of the messy painting and added some highlights to try and bring that orky-looking arm back on par with the rest of the model. I used those washes on the wounds, and actually knocked back some of the red because I still thought it looked like too much.
21.JPG
back
21.JPG (126.92 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Here is the model from the back. The rust effect makes me happy to look at every time, although at this point it still needed to be touched up a little bit. The gunk in the barrel was just done with green mixed with yellow, and then washed with a green-black wash. I was intimidated by the nurglings on the back so I just painted them a different shade and washed them with baby poop wash to pull out a bit of details and left it at that.
22.JPG
rust
22.JPG (171.8 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Here's a closer pic of the rust on the barrel which needs to be touched up, but I love that effect. You can also see how the wounds on his rear came out and after thinking that they would never look how I wanted them to look, I ended up pretty happy with them!

I also did a lot of work on the base, again, experimenting on this poor prince with what style I wanted to use on my army. In the end I really liked the result and I will talk about what I did in another post. Obviously the rim of the base needs to be painted black agian... and the model needs to be sealed up as well. Still, for my first go at it I am more and more pleased with how he turned out. :D
Last edited by nurglesrott on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rot, glorious rot!

Benamint

Post by Benamint » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 am

Hey man don't be disappointed or ashamed! Nurgle will always present a unique challenge to paint! Either way I think the arms look the best on the model and I think a little more blending would make that horn look awesome! I really think he's coming together quite nicely the more you figure out how to approach this beast! You are definitely doing Papa Nurgle proud!
40K:
The Purge - 2k+
Word Bearers - 1850pts
Tau - 2k+
Daemons - 1k

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:32 am

This is after a bit more touching up, and was rushed to be placed on the table for a first game! I based the model with very fine beach-type sand, and got that layed into a thick bed on either side of the base so that I could make a river of mucky water running under the model. That was painted with devlin mud twice and then highlighted back up with a snakebite brown and then a desert tan. I put down a thin layer of water effects to build up the water some, and let it dry over night. Then I mixed some baby poop wash with the water effects and poured it on to make it look dirty and slimy. I will take some closer pics later to show this cause I really liked how it came out and I plan to use it on the rest of the army as well. The only problem I had was that I put down some burned grass flock before the second layer of water effects was applied, and the flock absorbed a lot of the water, making it really wet and thick looking. In the end I like the way it looks, but it used more water effects than I anticipated and I will have to plan for that better in the future. I added some of the army painter grass tufts to the front dirt area and decided that the base was done for now. I might look into adding some kind of tall grass or a log/stump later on, or I might just save that for Kugath's base... we'll see.
23.JPG
water
23.JPG (157.69 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
I will paint the rim of the base black tonight after work and seal the model, and hopefully get some better pics of the end result for the January part of the challenge. I am really fiending to get some more painting done right now, but I'm in the middle of my work week so I won't be doing too much until I get off again next Wednesday. I have a lot more to post though, so I'll do that when I find time next! :)
Last edited by nurglesrott on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rot, glorious rot!

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 am

Benamint wrote:Hey man don't be disappointed or ashamed! Nurgle will always present a unique challenge to paint! Either way I think the arms look the best on the model and I think a little more blending would make that horn look awesome! I really think he's coming together quite nicely the more you figure out how to approach this beast! You are definitely doing Papa Nurgle proud!
Thanks! :) I will keep working at it for sure - I'm still stoked to be working on this army right now so there's no slowing down for me at this point!
Rot, glorious rot!

Benamint

Post by Benamint » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 am

Good! Have you ever tried using the superglue and PVA glue trick for Nurgly slime and grossness? If you don't know what the trick is its where you paint PVA glue onto the base heavily. Then you squirt/add super glue onto the base. Then add paint and wet effect. The result is a very wicked and gross looking base! You should test it on a piece of paper or something to see if you like it.
40K:
The Purge - 2k+
Word Bearers - 1850pts
Tau - 2k+
Daemons - 1k

nurglesrott

Post by nurglesrott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:12 am

Benamint wrote:Good! Have you ever tried using the superglue and PVA glue trick for Nurgly slime and grossness? If you don't know what the trick is its where you paint PVA glue onto the base heavily. Then you squirt/add super glue onto the base. Then add paint and wet effect. The result is a very wicked and gross looking base! You should test it on a piece of paper or something to see if you like it.
LOL no I have never seen that yet, but I'll have to give it a try - sounds wonderfully disgusting! Thanks for the tip and all the kind words! :mrgreen:
Rot, glorious rot!

Return to “Chaos Demons”